Armada - does it get any better??

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Erector, Oct 6, 2007.

1. Erector

Erector I ruined the Hall of Fame

News Credits:
    OK so on a whim I picked up the full run of Transformers Armada. It was cheap and I figured, what the hey. But I'm up to episode 10 (where Smokescreen appears) and... jesus this is terrible so far. I've not managed to find a single redeeming feature.

Can someone PLEASE assure me it gets better??

2. onesock

onesock Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Personally, I love Armada from beginning to end. My most favorite TF series.

Now, since you seem to feel differently, watch the last three or four episodes. Best ending to a series EVER.

3. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Seriously, it doesn't. The end gets a little better, but it's really a horrible series all together. They should've kept RID going and never done Armada or Energon. The end fight is pretty cool though.

It makes G1 look good.

4. Erector

News Credits:
    Well I was kind of hoping to leave the ending til the end... ;)  I dunno, I'm just not seeing any character development, or anything? All I can think of when I put in a DVD is "Hi, my name's Rad, and I want to tell you about the Transformers..." which makes me cry :( 

5. Strikeback

Strikeback Drifting Away

I think that it has it moments--unfortunately, they're all at the end. Specifically the episode that deals with Starscream's final fate.

6. Erector

News Credits:
    Bah.
    Well at least it was only £20...

7. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I've got a special place in my heart for Armada, as I think Minicons are the most brilliant gimmick in the history of the franchise.

I purchased all the DVDs for the series, but alas, I've never been able to make it through to the end. I don't care for dubbed stuff in general, and Armada seemed particularly full of the things that bother me about dubs (characters cutting one another off, space-filler grunts and noises, inane and nonsensical dialogue, etc...)

8. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    I think Mini-cons themselves, are awesome. However, the way they were handled in the series was less than perfect.

9. Xaxis

Xaxis Well-Known Member

Starscream had the best character development in the entire series, it might be worth it for that part. The first appearance of Scavenger was pretty cool too.

I thought the end was weak.

All in all, I was actually able to sit through the entire series when it aired, which is more than I can say for Energon.

10. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Villain

News Credits:
    No, it really does not. Just wait until you get to all the floating-in-space episodes. It was torture. Though, Energon may have been worse in that regard. It's all kind of a blur now.

11. Rodimus Primal

Rodimus Primal Well-Known Member

I found the beginning of Armada to be terrible. If you intend to watch Armada from beginning to end then you'll hate the first 20 eps or so of Armada but it DOES get better. The animation gets more refined as the series progresses and the dubbing gets a little better. You'll just have to fast foward the most annyoing TF intro of all time. After episode 39 the intro becomes the Unicron Battles and the story is damn good at that point.

12. Radioactive Ravage

Radioactive Ravage Ancient

Minicons were an excellent gimmick. Unfortunately, all the series emphasized was them.

And then the epic battle at the end. Really, that's the only redeeming moment.

13. onesock

onesock Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Oh yeah, Starscream's character development is insane in Armada. You really feel for the dude.

14. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    The only good part of Armada was the Unicron Battles.

Personally Energon and Cybertron were the Awesome. Armada was the Appetizer in the AEC trilogy.

15. Dirge121

Dirge121 Eat the chikums

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Keep going, its still whole heaps better than Energon.
    Man that series was terrible.
    So many 'Hrrr' and 'uggh'.
    That battles were horrible, they just stood still and fired, using the worst laser effects ever.
    Also, Energon loses 3000 points for the all-singing, all-dancing, all-sucking Team Ironhide.

16. Rodimus Primal

Rodimus Primal Well-Known Member

I found that dancing team to be hilarious. Energon was much better than Armada IMO. It gets 1000 points just for having Rodimus.

17. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Megatron? Is that you!?!?

I saw the 1st half of the show on TV and never saw the end, I picked up the second half on DVD and the end half actually is better. I actually enjoyed the end. I will never get the 1st half on DVD though. That half is just bad lol.

18. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Rodimus was a huge letdown. They talk about him like he's teh ubar shit, then he shows up and he's just as useless as the rest of them.

Energon gave us some great toys though, like Megatron and Stascream, the combiners and a few deluxe Autobots.

But on-topic, armada gave us a half decent Megatron. (makes a better base for minicons then an actual transformer)

Actually, all the robots made excellent minicon bases, I remember putting them all together on my desk as a huge base. Probobly the only thing they were good for.

And for a guy who's so crazy powerful when combined with his Mini-con, Megs sure sucked. All the 'cons ever did was sleep and hurt eachother.

19. lildevilchick

lildevilchick what the doctor ordered

It's got it's issues, I won't lie to you. In fact, there's a LOT wrong with Armada. But hey, there's a lot wrong with a lot of other shows out there, too. One thing I'm forced to keep in mind is that the dialogue for this show was written for kids TODAY, so it's going to be very different than the older series. Times change, and with them what we've come to expect from cartoons. Too many cartoons these days have silly, stupid writing and they don't focus much on a plot, which is actually one of Armada's strong points. It actually has a friggin plot! You don't see much of it until later in the series, but trust me, it's definitely there.

When I first watched Armada I thought it was the stupidest thing I'd watched in my life. But I continued to watch it, mainly for a lack of anything else to do at the time it was on. And surprisingly, it got better! Give the series some time. It'll really pick up in the second half.

20. onesock

onesock Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I just skimmed through my Armada episodes.

Skip forward until the Requiem Blaster becomes relevant. That's when it all gets good.