2D Artwork: Armada (Bendy) Prime

Discussion in 'Transformers Fan Art' started by Infosaur, Jul 18, 2012.

1. Infosaur

Infosaur Well-Known Member

So I had a few minutes last night to play around with good old Armada Prime (Personal fic? He's another character entirely from Optimus, but that's another story) And there were a few things that bothered me I wanted to correct in pen & ink.

1.) Since I've become a truck driver in real life, Armada's vehicle form has really started to bug me. Tires are too big, cab's too small, etc.

2.) Since I was going to re-design his alt mode anyway, why not bring over more "clues" from his robot mode? Like the 4 exposed screws on his shoulders? Yeah! They could be headlights right?

Well, I didn't really change as much as I thought I would, but here's what I came up with in my first draft.

[​IMG]

I've already refined the concept a bit (and upgraded Armada to a full sleeper instead of a day cab) but I haven't scanned those pics yet. I'll put those up later in the week if there's any intrest in this thread.

Anyway, haven't drawn a TF in over a year, so when inspiration hit I went with it.

Attached Files:

2. AlanGarou

AlanGarou Well-Known Member

Nice to see a reinterpretation of one of my favorite molds. I look forward to seeing the rest! :D 

3. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    I like your version of the alt mode better. :thumb 

4. Infosaur

Update!

Okay so assuming work doesn't kill me I WILL get the rest of the series up. Funny thing is, the pics were all drawn the same night, but I've been having trouble finding the time to get them scanned in.

So this is more of a teaser:

[​IMG]

I didn't like the proportions of the first "alt mode" pic and there was a lot of things I wanted to clean up. Plus I wanted to upgrade him to a full "Sleeper cab" and trailer. Still, at the end, I still had some problems with it. Plus I made a few "oops" that I couldn't undo with pen (most obvious, the mirrors are waaaay too big)

So rest assured, the final altmode and a touched up robot mode are done and on the way.

Attached Files:

5. Belgrath

Belgrath Boom! Nutshot!

I love your version of Armada Prime's alt. mode.

6. Infosaur

So he looks a bit like a Peterbuilt,,,

So for this one I tried drawing him as a truck first. Making him as slick and aero as a modern truck. I didn't intentionally copy the Pete 387 but yeah that's kinda how he came out.

EDIT: OH FOR PETE'S SAKE!

7. Infosaur

here try again.

[​IMG]

hopefully this pic will stay up this time.

Attached Files:

8. Optimus1138

Optimus1138 Minecraft Addict

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Looks good.

Also, could someone please enlighten me as to why Armada Prime is nicknamed "Bendy Prime"? I've been seeing him called that for years, and I could never formulate any theories as to how he got that name.

9. Infosaur

Simple. There were two versions of Armada Prime, the big $30-40 Commander model and the $10 deluxe model.

The big one had two sections, the tractor that transformed into Optimus, and a trailer that transformed into legs that connected with the tractor in an alternate transformation, giving him a super mode.

The problem (?) was that they cramed in an electronic gimmick. The trailer transformed by itself when recieving an RF signal from the tractor. In theory, you transformed the tractor and the trailer would transform itself! Pretty cool right? Except that when you jam in a gimmick like that (especially when it includes hardpoints like a battery compartment) you've got to give up things like articulation.

This is why Commander Armada Optimus is known as "happy pants prime" because his legs move all by themselves. But at the end of the day, you've got pretty much a brick-former.

"Bendy", whether by accident or to make up for the horible lack of poseablity in the Commander model, is ridiculusly articulated. In fact he's probably one of the most posable toys from the whole Armada line up. His only gimmick is a "punch" that makes his shoulders move and barely affects his transformation or articulation.

I'd have to ask around to be sure, but the consensus seemed to be on here that not only was Bendy superior,,, but he was bargan priced too. (and wouldn't get stuck mid transformation when the batteries died.) and thus the more popular version.

10. Infosaur

Alright, I put this off long enough.

(real life keeps interfereing with my hobbies, dontcha know)

[​IMG]

Here's the finished robot mode.

I left the legs off because there isn't a significant change there. (and I'm lazy.)

Although, in retrospect. If I had to do one more revision I'd re-add the double pipes/arm cannons. I've never seen a real-life truck with two pipes per side, but after thinking about it (and seeing some of the outrageous 16" dump pipes some truckers add) I have to admit, a twin pipe per side might be pretty cool to see IRL. And it'd give him back his double barreled arm cannons.

Thoughts?

Attached Files: