Arkham Asylum: A Serious House On Serious Earth

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by Ironhide1706, Jan 21, 2012.

1. Ironhide1706

Ironhide1706 Elessar Telcontar

I did a little searching couldn't find anything similar from the last two years so lets go.

To start I'm going to say this, Arkham Asykum is my first and only Batman comic; I'm a little embarrassed as I'm a crazy Batman fan but it's true. Ive played the games watched the movies and by god, this book is better than The Dark Knight for me. It is simply brilliant, the art, the story. It's all top-notch. I am EXTREMELY eager to read some more comics.

Now a question and my question is this: have you ever read a comic or graphic novel that has completely won you over? Which one?

2. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    I absolutely love Arkham Asylum - it's one of my favorite Batman stories of all time. The symbolism Morrison wove into his story is incredible, and best appreciated if you read the original script. Dave McKean's phantasmagorically phenomenal artwork is just icing on the cake. Thank goodness Heath Ledger chose to incorporate this comic's interpretation of the Joker into his amazing performance.

Among the other comic books that have completely won my over are From Hell, V for Vendetta, The Invisibles, The Dark Knight Returns, The Sandman, Punisher MAX, Sweet Tooth, Watchmen and Superman: Red Son.

3. Megabattimus

Megabattimus Same As It Ever Was

News Credits:
    Congrats on reading your first Batman story, may it be the first of many. To tell you the truth, I've never read Arkham Asylum, Year One or The Killing Joke; though they are on my list of Batman stories to read.

As for the comics that have won me over, they are The Dark Knight Returns, Batman: Knightfall, Grant Morrison's Run on Batman, 52, Infinite Crisis, Watchmen, Superman: Red Son, Kingdom Come, Justice, Marvels, Geoff Johns's run on Green Lantern and JSA, Batman: Gothic, Gotham by Gaslight and many others.

4. night-skyward

night-skyward Collects animated, mainly

I like the book, it's not my favourite bat tale but it's up there. I read it and thought 'heh that was awesome' then I read the script with Morrison's notes and I went 'Holy crap,there's so much in here that flew over my head.. *Flicks back through* damn that makes sense now..* reads through it again* ' But I dig Morrison for that, he's a bloody clever chap with an impressive imagination and it's this book that's set me off on getting trades of his current bat saga.

5. Ironhide1706

Ironhide1706 Elessar Telcontar

This is exactly what happened to me. I never would have guessed the premise for the book was two fish! :lol 

6. Optimus1986

Optimus1986 TMNT & Hulk Fanatic

If there is one comic that has ever won me over, it's the Killing Joke. It's just...amazing. And a relatively quick read that doesn't take forever to get through.

There is a song on the Arkham City companion album by Coheed and Cambria that is based on the very last page of the Killing Joke. Amazing. Read TKJ while listening to the song and it is absolutely spine-tingling...

7. Sideways77

Sideways77 oh shoogah

News Credits:
    The Batman Animated comics were pretty good. I only read a couple, though.

8. Optimus1986

Optimus1986 TMNT & Hulk Fanatic

^Yes, they were. Especially Mad Love.

9. Sideways77

Sideways77 oh shoogah

News Credits:
    I must read that one. Mainly because I'm a sucker for Harley :D 

I went over them, and I've only read two Animated comics. One with the Ventriloquist, and a Christmas-themed Joker and Harley one.

Yes, I'm pretty sad, right?

10. Radioactive Ravage

Radioactive Ravage Ancient

Yeah.

Read Hush.

11. dj_convoy II

dj_convoy II Remix!

News Credits:
    Read Year One. Frank Miller before he became a parody of himself.

12. payton34

payton34 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Definitely check out Batman: The Cult.

Criminally underrated, doesn't get nearly as much hype as the other major releases (DKR, Yr.1, Hush, etc). Bernie Wrightson's artwork is incredible.

13. dj_convoy II

dj_convoy II Remix!

News Credits:
    I have the actual monthly (prestige format) release of the Cult and it pains me to this day that a couple of pages are out of order- arrggghhhhhhhhhh