Arkansas Campground Flooding

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DaraRex2.0, Jun 12, 2010.

1. DaraRex2.0

DaraRex2.0 I'd totally eat the leaf

I usually don't post doom threads, but this is kinda surreal

BBC News - Arkansas floodwaters hit campsites and leave 16 dead

When we camp we know there's a risk of running into wild animals, maybe psycho people. If there's a thunderstorm you run the risk of losing your nice dry tent, you can always wuss out and get a motel. But there's a difference when you're camping at night, warm in bed...then suddenly water. Everywhere!

You think at first it's a nightmare, you can't get out, you have no breath. You're inside a bubble you can't escape from, while being dragged with tremendous force. Then you realize this is real.

2. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Read about it in the paper, like dayum. Still some missing, hope by some miracle they're still alive.

3. guard convoy

guard convoy The Big Daddy

News Credits:
    my youth pastor's wife's boss had a life long friend and their family die in that flooding, 6 total, this is a tragedy

my condolenses to the families affected

4. DaraRex2.0

DaraRex2.0 I'd totally eat the leaf

I've read a couple soul survivor stories :(  One instance a mother was in a tree and heard her child calling from the flood

This freaks me out 'cause I love to go traditional camping, but when you're in a camp ground like this you'd think it'd be safe from floods and mudslids of the sort. But here even people in rvs and trucks were getting washed away

5. Metal Soldier

Metal Soldier The Robot

I've camped there for years, especially when I was in Cub/Boy Scouts. I've seen the river go from rather tame to white-water rapids style very quickly but nothing like this. Sadly a friend of mine from high school and his two children died in the flooding, but his wife survived. Its been strange.

6. Cheetatron

Cheetatron Eh

No disrespect to the dead and their survivors but isn't that a lot of degrees of separation?

7. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

I've been watching coverage of this on the Weather Channel. Very sad to hear, especially since these people were in a very remote area and they literally had no idea what was going on until it was too late.

Death toll is now up to 18, according to the Weather Channel. I think they said 6 of them were children, the youngest being only 2 years old. :( 

My sympathies to the families affected by this flooding.