Argh... the age old question, to store or to sell?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Alucard77, May 24, 2012.

1. Alucard77

Alucard77 Kaon Gladiator Champion

News Credits:
    I knew this day would come, and here it is. After delving into G1 Season 2, I have run out of display space.

So right now, I have my Prime and WFC toys currently sitting on the floor. So I am going back and forth. What to do with them? Should I keep or should I sell?

Keep side says:
    - Were still pretty cool. You have nothing against us.
    - If you decide to continue to collect us, we are still affordable, so there is no chasing going on
    - If you keep us sealed for 20 years, hey you never know, maybe we'll be worth something.

The sell side says:
    - OK, so you can buy more, but what the F are you going to do with them? You have no place to display them.
    - You may make back some decent money selling us, and spend that on competing the piece on your G1 figures, or even getting more G1 figures
    - At least they are not sitting somewhere in the basement doing nothing

So I ask you, do I store or do I sell? I still enjoy playing with these guys and transforming them, but where the F do I put them. It's not like I am a kid still playing with these things. Maybe once in a blue moon will I pop em out.

So what do you guys do?

Also, scary enough, I find myself looking at the classics line again and thinking, F it, sell em.

2. Dansproject

Dansproject Drifticon

I'm in a similar position myself. I'm getting rid of stuff that doesn't fit in my collection. Much as I love Trypticon and my other G1 stuff, it just didn't go with my Classics and BTs/MPs. I'm gradually purging other stuff, like movie trilogy that I didn't even like in the first place.

3. opt1musaber

opt1musaber Victory Saber's Recruit

News Credits:
    Unless there utter shit keep them. I don't see the point in buying something recent and selling them shortly aftwards especially if you've played with them and like them. Store them away for a bit if you have no room, absolutely nothing wrong with that.

4. Nightwind

Nightwind Aka Dusty Bottoms.

Sell. If you don't, you'll end up with a closet full of storage bins packed with toys that you haven't looked at in months. All of the regrets that I may have from toy collecting involve not being picky enough about my purchases and not getting rid of more stuff before I filled up a room and a closet.

5. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    Hoarding > Selling

Seriously though, unless you need money or have no interest in the stuff at all, don't sell shit because you'll probably end up spending more to get em back later on. Like, even if there literally isn't any more space (which I don't believe in on account of the law of gasses taking charge), you can always rotate shit around.

6. Smashs

Smashs Internet: Pure Truth Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    If they are figures you still like then I'd say store them for a bit.

Maybe reassess them after a year then see how you feel.

7. Janitor

Janitor Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hey! Were you peeking into my closet?!

8. opt1musaber

opt1musaber Victory Saber's Recruit

News Credits:
    I have figs I haven't touched for years so what?

9. SydneyY

SydneyY @syd_tfw Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I am feeling exact the same right now. Normally I'm all for keeping them, but at this moment I really wish I'd have sold them off :( 

Depends on how much space you have. I'm sharing my toyroom with my younger son (he's got a little Lego city going) and frankly it's hard even to walk around with TFs and Lego bits.

10. TrueNomadSkies

News Credits:
    Lego city?

Pics please :drool: 

11. SydneyY

SydneyY @syd_tfw Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I actually took a pic of it, but there's no way I can post it in public - currently it looks like it's been bombed 15 times over. I'll PM you, but I hope you won't be distressed!

12. The_Black_Sheep

The_Black_Sheep Willyna...

News Credits:
    Alucard, If I were you - I'd flog them all off. I'm currently doing the exact same thing right now too. Everything except for my main lines is going on Ebay. All my Titaniums, RiD, Animated, Real Gear, Movie Legends, Batman Movie Masters, SDCC Cobra Commander - everything I don't care for, it's all gonna get flogged off. After all this is sold, the next thing going up on Ebay will be all my boxed SW Lego that's currently stuffed underneath my bed...

13. The touch79

The touch79 Sparticon

I would keep and store it for the time being. Wait till TF prime is going well, or until it ends, and the demand will go up for them. This way, if you want to display them later, you still have that opportunity, but can also sell them if it crosses your mind.

14. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Sell, no question!

15. wolfe

wolfe Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    If you enjoy them then keep them. When the enjoyment ends that's when it would be a good time to sell.

16. CrackerBoy

CrackerBoy SeƱor Member TFW2005 Supporter

Buy a bigger house

17. NEST SOLDIER

NEST SOLDIER IRONHIDE'S DRIVER

IMO, Store them! If you can't afford or have room for more shelving, I suggest buying sterilite containers and storing them in those. That's what I do. That way I know they'll be protected, as well as being easily retrieved for display or play.

I run out of room myself, and am currently planning to renovate my room to make more square footage for my collection.

18. Movebuster

Movebuster Hiding True Intelligence

The floor is no place for toys. On the other hand, if they are boxed, storing them somewhere other than on your shelves, like in a closet or in your basement in a bin or box, would do little damage and you might change your mind later. I've learned this the hard way. The best time to sell toys is when you have a good reason, not when you lose interest. If you're like me and you change your mind every few days, you could be dissappointed. on the other hand, If you hae a good reason to sell, even interest is not a good reason to keep, because later on you can always buy them back if you change priorities.

So the question is, do you have a good reason to sell, and if so, which ones? Hoarding isn't a good thing, but there are gradients to consider... How bad is it? If you are questioning right now, then chances are you are a reasonable person and you will know when the time is right and you aren't the type of person to let it get out of hand.

19. TrueNomadSkies

News Credits:
    Well, let me just say this. If anyone on from this forum (and yes, people can totally be "from" a forum because that makes perfect sense) ends up getting an episode of Hoarders, I'll friend them in a second.

20. Nightwind

Nightwind Aka Dusty Bottoms.

Actually, I was. I like to visit often so don't be surprised if you find a bald nerdy dude hanging out in there! :p 

It's kind of tough to do it because I keep thinking about the amount of money that I've sunk into the collection and there's absolutely no way of coming close to making that money back by selling them. There's also the fact that I liked every single toy I purchased for some reason. It just gets tougher to remember what that was for some of them...

To each their own. I just feel that if I haven't even bothered to look at them for months they obviously can't be that important to me and it's time to clear out a bit. If I had been a little more proactive in the first place, I wouldn't have near the amount of clutter going on right now and I wouldn't have to deal with nearly as much hassle to unload them.