Argh.... I really hate CANCER!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Alucard77, Oct 5, 2012.

1. Alucard77

Alucard77 Kaon Gladiator Champion

News Credits:
    So on Tuesday, I got up to see a pre order for Fort Max and MP Cassettes. I thought, hey, this could be a good day. I then took my son to the Dr. for a skin condition he had and the Dr. said it was just eczema, and will clear up with a cream. So I thought great.

All that was left was my dad. He had been having some muscle spasms, and we were waiting on some blood work. At about 6PM, I get a call from my mom that they were in NY Presbyterianism Hospital because he has a seizure in his leg. I thought, okay let me head over.

By the time I got there they had already done an MRI. They found 5 spots on his brain. My sister who is the research queen was already freaking out, because she knew it was bad news. The DRs wanted to go to step 2 and do a Cat scan as brain cancer doesn't usually start out in the brain. So we agreed. 2 more spots, one on the lung, one on the liver.

So the next step is take a biopsy. But first they needed to do a PTScan to which was the best place to get it from. So they did a PTScan. What do they find, more fucking cancer. It's in his hip bone, stomach, groin, prostate, brain, lungs and liver.

Yay.

The worst part is that my dad is currently on a fantastic cocktail of 13 heart pills to keep his ticker going. This one drug plavix keeps the blood from clotting around a stent in his heart. He had to stop that drug for the Biopsy. Now we are just waiting to see what type of Cancer it is.

But I even wonder why bother. The Chemo is going to kill him. I mean, he is not a healthy strong man, he has heart problems. For the brain, they need to use radioactive treatment. That pretty much fries his brain and just shrinks the tumors. Which will just grow back and respread to the rest of his body.

So his choice is to either die with Chemo or die in pain from the tumors growing in his brain while he loses vision, movement, starts vomiting uncontrollably and so on.

The positive I see is that right now he looks great. His leg doesn't work so hot. But at least he can say his goodbyes and stuff to people he loves. Which is a lot more then other people can say.

I mean, I hope he doesn't ask me what I think. Cause I have no clue, and I feel for him, cause he sees all these people really upset he is in pain and he hates that. Plus he needs to make up his mind on how he is going to go.

My favorite part is, 2 years ago at the same exact time, we had to deal with my father in law passing of cancer as well.

The thing I kept thinking yesterday is that, we knew 6 people with cancer and they all died. I mean, one of us have to catch a break. But with the constant avalanche of bad news, that is just not the case.

I will try to think positively, but it's hard being that me and my dad are both realist and we know what this means.

2. Scorpion

Scorpion Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    My wife's grandmother just had about the same thing happen. I don't want to wreck your positivity AT ALL, but here is what happened. She had cancer on her heart, lungs, kidneys, brain, and neck. The doctors told her that once it spreads that much that there is nothing they can do, and that she had between 3-6 months to live. Two and a half WEEKS later she was in so much pain that she begged my wife to give her enough painkillers to kill her. She died four days later. My point isn't to scare you...but you might not have NEARLY the time that you think or that you are told. I would STRONGLY recommend talking to him and your family about end of life preparations and just spend as much time with him as you can, because this might be it...

3. Starfire22

Starfire22 Zoot Suit Riot

News Credits:
    That's sad to hear. :( 

4. Alucard77

News Credits:
    I really appreciate this. I mean, it sucks to hear this and it is a possibility.

The thing is that there are different types of cancers. If you GM was a fast growing one, that is definitely possible.

We still don't know what my dads cancer is. The DRs said there could still be hope depending on the biopsy. Some stage 4 cancers deal very well with Chemo. So we gotta hold out that hope at least.

But I fear its like how you say, and that will just happen. So we'll see. We have already spoken about his wishes and we all agree on the course of action. I am just hoping it's not what you say.

5. Haloid1177

Haloid1177 Hey, That's Pretty Good

News Credits:
    Almost everyone in my family who have died in my lifetime has been from cancer. I feel your pain, man. I really do.

6. Alucard77

News Credits:
    That's the thing. I don't know one person who survived Cancer. Not one. I was thinking more and its 0-9.

I guess I am lucky for only knowing 9 people who died from it.

7. Transbot90210

Transbot90210 Banned

News Credits:
    Damn brother, sorry to hear this news.

My thoughts and prayers are with you and yours.

:( 

8. Scorpion

Scorpion Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Some of her kids and grand kids spent time with her before she passed, some didn't. All of the ones who didn't are upset and guilt-ridden about it....just make sure you aren't that person...

9. Smashs

Smashs Internet: Pure Truth Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Very sorry to hear. I currently have two good friends who have breast cancer. One is 36, the other 39. Only one of them is reacting positively to chemo, the other is fighting her second bout with pneumonia because the bone cement from her spinal hardening leaked into her lungs.

Everything fucking sucks. I feel your pain, and you're in my thoughts.

10. Dragonclaw

Dragonclaw Comic Ink - Dublin, CA

News Credits:
    Sorry to hear than man. My mom just went through a bout with breast cancer. After nearly a year and way too many surgeries because they just kept finding more they found it on her thyroid...more surgery and now she's scared to even go for her follow up visits because she's afraid of what they might find next. I lost 3 ot of 4 grandparents to cancer as well. Meanwhile my remaining grandfather survived prostate cancer and is 98

11. Sonscreen

Sonscreen Casual TF collector<br><b><font color=#FF0000>aksm TFW2005 Supporter

I'm sorry about your situation. I hate cancer too.

12. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Oh my God, dude, I'm so sorry that your dad is hoping through this. I sincerely hope he can make it through this. He's got my prayers.

13. TigerBlade

TigerBlade Prepare for extermination

News Credits:
    I'm just gonna repeat this as I can't say anything else. Stay strong.

14. MTME

MTME Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    sorry to hear and yes I agree cancer sucks as I am currently battling ovarian cancer

15. Liokaiser

Liokaiser Super Mod

News Credits:
    I'm so sorry to hear this man. :(  My thoughts and prayers.

16. exclusacon

exclusacon Expert with the Scopes!

News Credits:
    Cancer do sucks....prayers are sent....lost my mother in law a month before our wedding....all I can say is take care of yourself....and really enjoy your life while you can....

17. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    It does happen though. Both my girlfriend and my uncle beat it, but theirs were caught early and weren't in any critical organs.
    On the flip-side, Cancer took my best friend, my father and my girlfriend's mother, but those were in critical organs and not discovered until it had already spread a lot.

You and your family have my thoughts, mate. Even if the end looks inevitable it sounds like you're going to have time to properly say goodbye and that's very important indeed.

18. Alucard77

News Credits:
    Thanks all for the good wishes and my sympathies go out to those of you either personally dealing with this stuff, or who have loved ones going through it or who passed from it.

On this front, we are going to get a Dr. at Memorial Sloan Kettering who has worked with patients with heart conditions that will specialize in the cancer he has. Once we find that out.

19. Meta777

Meta777 Dr Pepper Fan

My condolenses. Cancer is a brutal foe indeed; it claimed my grandfather.

Best wishes you and your family can overcome this.

20. AutoBobby

AutoBobby The Collector

Hang in there man,and just spend as much time as you can with your Dad.He probably needs you as much as you need him right now.