Argh Damn You GPS!

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by llamatron, Mar 6, 2008.

1. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    So I'm moving house and this means packing up and moving the whole collection. I read somewhere that no matter how careful you are, there will always be at least one casualty per collection move. I was transforming Universe Megabolt back into this "vehicle" (errr, head?) mode, and when placing his arm tabs into their sockets, both little loop sockets split and broke. Surprise surprise, they're both made of that FREAKING BRITTLE GOLD PLASTIC. Amusingly my Pyro didn't break at all. So, add Universe Megabolt to the list of easily broken figures.

Out of interest, is their a comprehensive list of GPS infected TFs?

2. netkid

netkid Where's my Goddamn shoe!

News Credits:
    Y'know, by now, don't you think they'd be smart enough to just mold it in a different colored plastic and then PAINT it gold?

The use of gold plastic still amazes me to this day.

3. Th0r4z1n3

Th0r4z1n3 The F*cking Lizard King! Veteran

News Credits:
    We just moved over the summer, I feel ya about transporting your collection. Made it with no casualties, until my first package arrived. The very first thing I ordered since I was in the new place took a dive onto the hard wood floor and shattered all over the place... it was a sad day and many curse words were spoken. :cry 

Transformers Wiki has a small list of effectad peices.
    http://transformers.wikia.com/wiki/Gold_Plastic_Syndrome

4. PrimulArchangel

PrimulArchangel Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I sold some one the same figure and the same thing happened to him when he transformed it.. My transmetal megatron also broke at his shoulder joint where the pin connects.. He is made of brown plastic, wonder if that suffers from the same crap as gold.. Wasnt a stress break either , just snaped like dried pasta .. I got lucky though and had a junker laying around that i was able to get a spare arm from.

5. DELTAsnake

DELTAsnake Decepticon

News Credits:
    I would love to get TM Megatron but I'm so scared of GPS after my Predetor's collection had all there missile launchers break. I will never get TM Megs out of fear.

6. lastmaximal

lastmaximal Hellspark

News Credits:
    consider yourself lucky that it was just the loop tabs, llamatron. mine broke at the frelling bicep. snapped clean in half.

7. gargunkle

gargunkle someone

Hmm. I wonder if that is the Megabolt I have. I think I have the greenish one. Still MOSC but now I'm afraid to open it if it will be affected by GPS.

8. RandomFerret

RandomFerret Fuzzy Forever

News Credits:
    It's the sparklies that do it. Megatron's got gold sparklies, so his brown plastic is still gold.

It brings to mind the old riddle, 'What colour was George Washington's white horse?'

Answer: Gray. Although it appeared white, true white horses are born with pink skin, while grays are born with black skin. The actual colour of the hair is irrelevant to the breeding classification.

9. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    If you guys want a 'comprehensive' list, I suggest you just add anything that's ever broken on you to that list. Wikis are editable by anyone for a reason :) 

Get the Armada recolor. Nothing swirly on it (except maybe the grey shoulder pads?)

I'm wondering, does this affect all swirly plastics, or just gold? I know they mentioned that TM Megs is brown, but he's affected the same way. But don't Alternators Camshaft and Mirage have swirly parts? I would HATE to end up losing those 2.

10. Trek

Trek Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    As the TFWiki article states, modern plastics are far more durable and so shouldn't suffer from GPS.

I recently recatalogued my colection and was appauled to find Sky Hammers out shell had lost a wheel. It's so hard to find one intact and I hate GPS.

11. BarBoBot

BarBoBot Well-Known Member

Now I'm afraid to transform my megabolt....

*edit* For shits and giggles, I got my megabolt out to inspect him and one of the pegs that holds his arm in place in alt mode is broken off in the hole.

Thanks to llamatron for pointing out I have a broken Transformer..........you bastard

12. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    But how modern is the distinction? Megabolt was made a mere 3 years before Camshaft. What evidence do we have for this new durability, could it just be that not enough time has passed to see if GPS will affect newer figures?