Arg! I'm not shopping at ToysRUs any more!

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Omega Supreme-1, Jul 5, 2006.

1. Omega Supreme-1

Omega Supreme-1 Autobot Sentinel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I stopped in my local price gouging ToysRUs, to OMFG find a sale on Alternators! That's like a miracle isn't it because TRU seems to lack the concept of there prices are overpriced to begin with. So, I picked up an Alternator Sunstreaker and took it to the counter. Guess what, suprise no suprise, the sale didn't ring up. I went to the trouble of showing the cash person the little solicit tag that was on the shelf that listed the 8.48 price. So they took it to the manager and she said only the 21.99 Alternators were marked down. So instead of throwing a temper tantrum, I left the store after leaving the cashier with a "Sorry ma'am but NO SALE". So I am sure she had to go to the trouble of walking her ass back to replace said item all the while irritated with my gut punch. The morale of the story, don't shop TRU because even when they claim they have a sale they freaking lie to you!

2. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    never had a problem with TRU. I love TRU. they're the only place around here that stays up to date with TFs, and the employees are always willing to dig through the stock room for stuff.

3. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I'd rather buy from TRU than Wal-Mart, and in many cases, Target.

4. Hiro Prime

Hiro Prime Cybertronian Guru Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Target just plain sucks. (I know cause I use to work for them) They limit the number or "collectable figures" you can buy and then wonder why the stuff just sits on the shelf untill they have to clear them out. :throw 

5. omega knight

omega knight Chibi lancelot launch

News Credits:
    I always look forward to tru because they ceep up with all the new transformers that come into our area(metroplex first wave of loc)

6. Steevy Maximus

Steevy Maximus Movie Megs eats your soul

News Credits:
    AT least you guys HAVE a TRU or Target that carries Alts, only alts around here are found at a single Walmart (which hasn't gotten a restock in almost 4 months)

7. rattrap007

rattrap007 Insert witty comment here TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    TRU is going downhill lately.

I hid some Primuses today (w/uni head) behind some Starscreams so I can get one tommorow after i cash a check. After that I talked with a person I worked with when i worked at TRU. She said not to let anyone catch me otherwise I'd get kicked out of the store. They are firing employees for putting stuff on hold now. A few days ago I asked if they could check to see if they had LOC wave 4 in yet and they are so short handed they can't even go get stuff for customers.

TRU is going down the tubes. They used to be so great on customer service but it is horrible now.

8. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That's...odd. I could see them getting mad if you were hiding them in different sections of the store or other weird places (keeps other customers from finding them and annoys stock people), but right behind the old stuff?

I don't know if that's a valid correlation to make. I mean, if I want 10 of [collectible figure] and the store says I can only buy 5 (at a time, because they're not tracking to prevent you from buying more than 5 ever), I'd just buy 5, take them out to the car, go back and buy another 5. If people really want the toys, a store imposing an artificial limit isn't going to stop the buyer. If the toys are sitting on the shelf, it's more likely due to a lack of desire for them than a store saying "you can only buy X number at once".

And what is the definition of collectible figure? Are we just talking Target store exclusives or do they apply the "collectible = limit" tag to anything else? Just curious, for future reference (particularly since there was a rumor Target will be "TF headquarters" when the movie comes out).

Anyway, kind of getting off-topic there. I've got no real preference and whatever store has stuff in first gets my money. Lately, all of the stores around here haven't been restocking much of anything (TFs, Marvel Legends, Sigma Six, JLU, etc) and there's a bit of a drought. Generally, Target has the best balance of selection and actually getting stuff in, but sometimes TRU surprises me. The only place I ever refused to shop in the past was Zellers, but that hasn't been an issue for two years now.

9. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    TRU is my last resort for my hunts. If I find something there first I'll buy it, but they're so overpriced and typically behind on everything (getting Cybertron first being the huge excepticon) I'd much rather go to three walmarts and two targets to look for something than TRU. Though I never had that preoblems with sales not being honored...

10. Greyryder

Greyryder Kitbashed

I generally have better luck at TRU, than wal-mart. Of course, any TRU I want to go to is at least an hour away, but my local wal-mart doesn't understand the concept of restocking. (Never seen another store with so many bare shelves, all over.)

Where are you, that TRU is charging $21.99 for Alts? That's almost on-line extorsion store price. They're 20 bucks at all the TRUs I've been too.

11. omega knight

omega knight Chibi lancelot launch

News Credits:
    that wrong..I hid stuff al the time and one time I hid a hoshot behing the the ninga turtles section and it was still there for 3 months

12. My03Tundra

My03Tundra LOVES TO EDIT POSTS!!

Ebay:
    In my area, I live two miles or less from a Target Marketplace (equivalent to Wal-Mart Supercenter), but they hardly have any of the figures I'm looking for.

I usually end up getting the few figures I buy anymore online, and wait for sales from my favorite online retailers like www.BBTS.com, www.JRStoyworld.com and a few others. I may pay more, but it is the most convenient option for me.

I've also hid some items to come back to them later, only to find that someone else got to them. That is why I mainly shop online. I typically avoid TRU anymore because they have rude people, the store is filthy, and they get new stock once a month to twice a month for some items.

Dude, I had a similar sale error happen at a Best Buy, not just at one store but with three different stores. They had a sale price listed, and overcharged me. Two of the stores were in Phoenix, and the third is a store in Tucson. Usually, as I've seen, when a store has that problem it isn't usually with one store. The error that happened in the Tucson store was over a PDA WiFi card that I had an instant rebate card for, and a mail-in. It took a while, but I got the price it was supposed to be.

I will say one thing about the stores in Phoenix versus Tucson. Across the board the customer service there is ten times better then in Tucson. My theory is because there are more stores, and more competition, and the stores have to be more customer service oriented to stay competitive. The stores in Tucson for the most part have extremely rude clerks and have a strong don't-give-a-[edited] type attitude. Even the people who shop in the stores are friendlier in Phoenix than in Tucson.

13. SkyQuake

SkyQuake What's Quakin'?

I think it's okay for a store to limit the number of purchases. I get pretty pissed when a scalper comes along, and buys everything of one character just to scalp on ebay when some little kid (or even worse, me) wants the figure, and has to resort to slashing the tires of the scalper..... Ooops, did I say too much?

14. My03Tundra

My03Tundra LOVES TO EDIT POSTS!!

Ebay:
    DUDE! YOU'RE THE ONE WHO SLASHED THE OFF-ROAD TIRES ON MY TRUCK!

j/k

Yes, I know how you feel. I hate seeing with a new wave of figures being released the store having every other figure practically except one or two. In those situations you-know-who has been through there.

15. Severus

Severus Curmudgeon TFW2005 Supporter

Yeah, because I'm sure that making just over minimum wage has led her to totally identify with the company and feel "gut punched" when you decided not to buy a $22 piece of plastic.

I don't know your situation specifically, so I may be totally off base here, but I think the following is relevant nonetheless.

Stores don't just randomly reverse their sales in the computer system in order to screw you out of money, hoping you'll notice. Most sales stickers or newspaper ads are VERY clear about what they do cover and what they do not cover. Often they cover only particular SKUs but have expiration dates. They do this to avoid massive lawsuits from false advertising and to avoid being nailed to the wall by every jerk who rearranges things on a shelf or brings in expired stickers.

Sometimes the tags or items get moved around on the shelf by customers so that the wrong price shows up by the wrong item. Or the tags get left out accidentally past their expiration date - this may cause the price issue to appear to be company-wide because most companies change their prices nationally every week and multiple stores may be slow on the uptake. Stupid wage slaves need to work harder, I guess.

If this happens, it's not "ZOMGZ, I gots it 4 cheep!!" 99 times out of 100 the price as marked really isn't what you think it is. If you expect the store to honor a price simply because you got excited and failed to verify the situation, YOU are the ass, not them. And it's especially churlish to abuse the store personnel, who likely had nothing to do with the mixup, in order to salve your disappointment.

And even if it was mistakenly or misleadingly advertised, it's still almost certainly a mistake. Again, the store would never intentionally open themselves up to the lawsuits. Decide if the price is worth it and if you still want to pay that much for the item.

The moral of the story is actually this: don't get worked up about it. Because if you plan on boycotting any store this occurs in I think you'll rapidly find yourself sifting all of your goods out of dumpsters.

Edit: punctuation and a line accidentally left out.

16. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

TRU rocks, not just because it's always been the place to get TF's , but all the bright colors on the walls make me feel warm n fuzzy inside.
    And love that old toystore smell hehe

17. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    Eh. Where there's retail, there's carelessness. I've yet to hear any employee at TRU, Wal-Mart or Target talk about their job with dedication, interest and consistency.

If the woman didn't help you - or the manager - it's probably because they didn't feel like it.

18. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

I hate TRU on Shelbyville road... Scalper city, I practically had to push a guy one time because he was hovering in front of the TF section like they all belonged to him.

19. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Your opinion was noted. Now get lost. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I typically stay away from my local TRU, but that's largely becuase I used to work there and the store looks kind of crappy and is almost always understaffed (except on holidays). One thing I will say for them is that the staff is pretty friendly... especially the guys/gals I used to work with.

My only complaint is that they always seem to get the new stuff in later than over at the Target I work at (right across the street almost), but on second thought... Junior works there so he might be beating me to the punch most of the time... :D 

20. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Your opinion was noted. Now get lost. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Very true... but with as rude as I've seen some customers get... it's not a wonder why. Thankfully, I work nights.