Are you tired of TFs being compared with Marvel?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Russian fan, Jul 16, 2017.

1. Russian fan

Russian fan Proud Autobot Ally TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    True, I seriously can't understand, why people so often cry that they want to see Transformers being similar to Marvel or other superhero Movies. They're about HUMANS with typical humanish problems. We're always unhappy when the script is focused on the humans and when TFs are too similar to humans. Marvel Movies, except for Punisher, are very light and unserious. TFs, especially DOTM and AOE, are completely different in terms of atmosphere. Yeah, Marvel is epic, but TFs are even more epic and inspiring! Marvel have good character development. But I think TF 1-4 also have awesome character development! Even TF5 was quite nice for Megatron. And as I already said, Transformers are aliens, they're from another mechanical world. They experience and feel everything in slightly another way, it's not easy to understand them some time, and they should be a bit mysterious in the Movies. We can't get so much character development about them as we can get about humans.

AND SERIOUSLY, WHY TF-MOVIES MUST COPY SOMETHING FROM OTHER UNIVERSES? TF5 failed, because the Movie lost its soul. Because Hasbro wanted to combine everything profitable from other franchises, but they forgot that TF-Movies themselves are profitable and unique. They must develop what they have already and if you a Movie-fan, you should (of course, not must, but still should) value Transformers originality. Maybe you like Marvel also, no problem. I also like tea and coffee, but I never mix them. TFs have their own great things and Marvel have their own, try to enjoy them both! And, honestly, enjoying TF-Movies is awesome!:D :p 

• Like Like x 4
  2. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

I'm tired of everything being compared to Marvel lol.

• Like Like x 17
  3. sevenlima

sevenlima Well-Known Member

I think because, Marvel movies are much more successfull.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
    • Like Like x 5
  4. sideswipe3

sideswipe3 Well-Known Member

I am if you ask me it makes more sense to compare it to the newest Godzilla movies. Both have CGI characters that have movies around them and from what I have been told both sometimes get held back because of the budget.

5. Ephland

Ephland Let's Go Rangers

News Credits:
    no.

6. transformervic1

transformervic1 HI!

News Credits:
    I'm tired of most things being compared to Marvel but as far as cinematic universes goes, I believe people have the right to compare their favorite CU attempts to the one that is currently the most successful.

As far as writing stories for robot characters goes, the thing Marvel does have above transformers, currenrly, is the fact that they have humans as the focus. Theyre superheroes who don't need but a little bit of CGI glued onto them. With the current transformers movie designs, it's a little more complicated. One could argue though it's because they've tried to spend the whole budget on something big, ie Devastator, the driller, and cybertron for TLK. One of the reasons why AOE brought us the most TF screentime of the series is because they cheapened the design looks a bit and didn't have some computer-crashing CGI super monster.

• Like Like x 4
  7. Jochimus

Jochimus Well-Known Member

When Marvel puts out three movies a year and manages to perform fairly consistently financially and/or critically, any other big action/FX franchise being compared against them is inevitable...especially when you get into the area of studios seemingly spending more time envisioning their own cinematic universes whether their property is suited for it or not than actually making sure the property they've got produces a movie successful enough to justify all that planning in the first place. Ghostbusters? DOA. Universal's Dark Universe? Don't bet on it. Hell, DC only seemed to score a real winner on both sides of the line on its FOURTH try. Honestly, I think the only non-Marvel mega-franchise out there right now that seems to have any inkling of having its act together - even though it's only two films in so far - is WB's Monsterverse, which frankly I think would make for a better comparison against the TF movies.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
    • Like Like x 4
  8. BattleUpSaber

BattleUpSaber Result.

News Credits:
    If you want to create a cinematic universe, you're automatically going to be compared to Marvel, (arguably) the only franchise to have successfully pulled it off. Like, that's to be expected.

9. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

It's just natural that people are going to compare the big budget flagship brands to each other and that whoever seems to be knocking it out of the park the most is the one that will be the gold standard the other big flagship brand films will be compared to. Wait until the next Star Wars movie and people around here will be comparing Transformers to Star Wars.

But when people say that the Transformers movies should be more like the Marvel movies I don't think they mean an exact clone of the Marvel/Disney movies but rather the Transformers movies should be hitting the same general beats that seem to work for Marvel so well that even the films that should have flopped and been written off just don't flop. For example Wonder Woman isn't 100% exactly like the Marvel/Disney movies but that idea of hope, day lit scenes, being a hero because it's the right thing to do, so many of the things people like about the Marvel/Disney movies show up in the Wonder Woman movie. Entertainment taste are always changing and right now a few studios have their finger on the pulse of what people want while some studios don't.

I also don't think that well they are aliens really cuts it as an excuse. Chewbacca is an alien and people love him even though they can't understand what he says. When he's written well you can relate to the alien superhero Superman. Marvel's Vision is a robot and he ends up in some pretty philosophical stuff with the robot villain Ultron. People will project onto just about anything if you give them a good reason to project upon them like the toys in Toy Story.

Plus isn't it just a natural fit to compare Transformers to superheroes when back in the G1 days the Transformers were mechanical alien superheroes? A robot that could turn invisible, a robot that could teleport, robots that could mass shift, G1 had as many superpowers as any issue of the Avengers or the Justice League. Heck red, white, and blue Optimus Prime was just a shield away from being Captain America. Paramount could have had their superheroes but they decided G1 wasn't good enough for them.

• Like Like x 4
  10. MnemonicSyntax

MnemonicSyntax Racecars, lasers, aeroplanes!

News Credits:
    Yeah, pretty much. The Marvel movies aren't that great. To me. (Better post-face this.)

• Like Like x 5
  11. Moy

Moy Constructicons!

News Credits:
    No, I'm tired of something else completely

12. TFXProtector

TFXProtector Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't think everything needs to be compared to Marvel. I think Marvel has a huge advantage of being so much older than Transformers as a whole, that they've had successes and failures before hitting the big screen, so they can pretty much see what does work and what doesn't.

Up until now, Transformers never really had that advantage and since the movies have gone the way they have, they consider money to be a success, but critically they're a disaster. As long as the money keeps rolling in, they're never going to learn from their mistakes...even TLK, being the lowest of them all, was still a profitable endeavor. It made its money back. That's the biggest problem.

Maybe, just maybe, they'll learn a lesson from the Bumblebee movie. If it truly is like the Iron Giant, but with Bumblebee in his place, then perhaps the movie will be a financial and critical success and make them think about changing the formula. It clearly worked for Marvel, maybe it can work here, too.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Xaxis

Xaxis Well-Known Member

I've posted a few times saying that I'd like the Transformers movies to be more like the Marvel Studios movies.

What I mean by this is that the Marvel movies feature solid storytelling and character development that is consistent and establishes a continuity among the films. They also usually have good pacing, a more enjoyable tone/mood and well placed, suitable humor.

Above all what I appreciate about the Marvel movies is the level of respect and accuracy given when bringing the characters to the screen.

While there have been a few Marvel movies that had elements I didn't care for (the Mandarin comes to mind) overall, I've left the theater after those movies feeling satisfied and looking forward to the next installment. They made me want more in a positive way.

The TF movies remind me of how Marvel characters were brought to film before Marvel started doing it themselves — enjoyable for what they are but missing something and not quite reaching their potential. With the TF movies, it's the same old situation of Hollywood not being able to see beyond comic book or toy movies, or trying too hard to make something based on comics/toys "believable", "serious", or "real". I've left the theater after the first four TF movies feeling like I wanted more of the little good pieces they had sprinkled among the caricatureized humans, poor/awkward humor. I felt disappointed by representations of my favorite TF characters who were nothing like their namesakes. I held on to hope that things would get better with each new movie, instead it stayed the same or got worse.

So when I say that I'd like to see Transformers done like Marvel is handling their characters, it's about quality, attention to the right details, and bringing a long beloved set of characters to the screen in a way that captures all of their greatest potential and makes it even better.

• Like Like x 2
  14. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    I'm tired of Marvel Studios being held up as some kind of gold standard, when most of their movies have been relentlessly mediocre, and they take as many or more liberties with their source material as any other series from any other studio does.

• Like Like x 10
  15. Sixshot93

Sixshot93 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't care about comparisons. All I care is that any respective franchise has consistently quality products.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Timothy.R

Timothy.R Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The marvel movies are the high bar in which these types of movies are judged.. transformers are the low bar.

So.. you're right there's no need to compare them. There's nothing that the transformers movies do better than the marvel movies do.

17. electronic456

electronic456 擎天柱

News Credits:
    Music and VFX. When I finish watching a Marvel movie, I usually don't come out thinking too hard about the score.

You can argue Guardians, but that is all soundtrack and stuff.

18. Timothy.R

News Credits:
    Nope.. transformers have included so many stupid pop songs to agree with that.

19. electronic456

electronic456 擎天柱

News Credits:

Oh pop songs you mean..... I mean I like the song 'Baby Come Back'. That was an awesome song.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Timothy.R

News Credits:
    And what about the marvel scores...

Also, I think the debate is over once you start pointing to scores.