Are you the type whom... (food and drink related)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MST3KFan, Jun 13, 2011.

1. MST3KFan

MST3KFan Master of the Obvious

Okay, out of curiousity, how many of you are the type whom will instantly try new food and drinks compared to others?

A few weeks ago I was going through the grocery store and noticed a new flavor of milk in the flavored milk part of the dairy department. "Root Beer".

At first, I was like "Root Beer? Uh...what? I dunno if..." However, I thought about it and figured since it was flavored milk, it must be "Root Beer Float" flavored. So I bought a half gallon, and sure enough, it tasted like a float, and it was really tasty as a matter of fact.

So the next week comes along and the half gallons are on sale half price. Everyone buys the choclate and strawberry up, but nobody buys root beer milk. I bought two for myself. Might buy one more before it's gone since I doubt it'll be around much longer, which is a shame since it's really tasty. Like having a root beer float just without the foam basically.

Anyway, that's a scenario of mine. I'm usually the type to always try new drinks like pop (especially new Mountain Dews) or other various things found in grocery stores or gas stations.

How about you guys? Food and drink stories of your own to tell?

2. Mister Gone

Mister Gone Macro-Con

News Credits:
    Ha! We used to get Root Beer milk back in '86 at the Piggly Wiggly in Grand Forks, ND.

I am always up to try new things. I always taste twice even if I don't like it the first time cause who knows :D 

3. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    Only if I'm not the one paying for the food.

4. geerave

geerave Well-Known Member

ill eat anything i can fit in my mouth.....giggity

5. rob_charb

rob_charb Well-Known Member

I used to try lots of different foods without question when I first moved to Taiwan. After inadvertantly eating jellified blood and duck's blood rice, I started to ask what I was putting into my mouth.

I've also eaten the stinky tofu, which I love, some other disgusting kind of jellified blood, intestines, duck's tongues...the list goes on and on. Sometimes I think not knowing was better.

6. doomboy536

doomboy536 Universe Onslaught fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I love trying new food! I've had some pretty weird stuff over the years (sea urchin anyone?) but it's mostly turned out for the best. We're going to an Ethiopian restaurant later this week so that should be fun.

7. Dran0n

Dran0n Junk male

News Credits:
    Usually, yes.

8. ersico

ersico Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    ill try anything, foodwise, as long as its not too spicy hot, cant handle that...but like weird exotic foods, new flavors....hell yeah..
    fair food, bacon doublecheeseburger..but insteadof the bun it was the krisp kreme donuts..i was only one to try it of my group of friend..and damnit if i had another 8 bucks at the time, i wouldhve grabbed another :) 

9. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

My niece wouldn't try a single green-pea for 100 dollars! Of coarse, she was like 10 or something back when. But still.......................

10. Scorpion

Scorpion Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I've tried a pretty good number of things...I recommend avoiding natto. It's DIS GUS TING...even a lot of modern Japanese won't eat it.

11. seali_me

seali_me Well-Known Member

whenever i order spicy i have it to my specifications. no white people spicy. sorry. lol. i grew up with jamaicans, bangladeshians, indians, etc name it. mexicans don't even come close to the definition of spicy either. lol

i went to the insectarium when i was a kid and saw chocolate for flavoured insects for sale. i immediately tried it. i wasn't expecting the filling to be good too. the texture and crunch was pretty good. it went well with the chocolate. a friend ordered some fèngzhuǎ, didn't like the first try and thought maybe it was just that particular one, so i tried another one. didn't like it.

my dad made me eat balut complete with the little unborn fetus, it tasted good but the texture was nasty, i had to bite off the beak and spit it out too so. it was not a good experience. i like the yellow part, it tastes like eggs. he told me if its food, try it first then form an opinion about it. i was 6 or 7 then. differents flavours, tastes, textures, etc i'd try it at least once or twice, if i like it maybe a third time or more.

i want to try onoir. "in the dark". probably the one of the few restaurants i haven't tried in montreal yet.

" After a few hours in complete darkness (that's right, no flashlights, matches, cell phones, cigarette lighters or luminous watches), customers gain a better understanding of what it's like to be blind - just like the restaurants' entire wait staff."

12. bny888

bny888 バグバイト

News Credits:
    Yes I'm of that type. I want to try new food and drinks. But currently, I'm on a diet, so I watch what I eat.

13. Scorpion

News Credits:
    HAHAHAH I'm white and I totally understand. Whenever we go to Thai restaurants, I get the spiciest that they have and they always look at me like
    "I don't think you understand what you just did white boy"...but I did. It's bad enough that I see people sweating and tearing at mild stuff, and I think "pu$$ie$". My son is the same to a lesser degree. He'll eat a gumball size amount of wasabi whenever we eat sushi...

14. lord ginrai

lord ginrai Beastie lover

News Credits:
    Gotta disagree on that one. Hated it the first time around (5 years ago) but can´t get enough of the stuff nowadays. Eat it for breakfast all the time, YUMMY!
    It´s definately an aquired taste though.

15. Hiraga

Hiraga BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL

News Credits:
    One of my favorite things about eating out is trying new stuff I haven't had before, so yes.

16. Predaking

Predaking Well-Known Member

Ha! Stinkin Tofu's among my most favorite foods! Pork's blood? Not so much but I learn to tolerate the taste.

17. Scorpion

News Credits:
    That's what I've heard, but I don't think I have the stomach to "aquire" it...

18. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    international foods, i am a bit cautious.
    my first ever trip to a thai restaurant went poorly because i ordered a shrimp dish (safe to order i thought) and what i got looked like the gruel they were eating in "The Matrix."

but i went back and experimented until i got to know what i could and could not eat.

I do admit i get a high from taking a plunge into something new and being blown away by it. Like the first time i had actual Schnitzel, i was happy for days. loved it.