Are you SUPPOSED to not like Pyra Magna?

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Hyoumaru, Apr 2, 2017.

1. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II The Pristine

News Credits:
    That would undermine both of their authority i think.
    There's a distinction in IDW between the original Primes and the Prime that is considered the political and religious leader of Cybertron.
    The holders of the last title have always been corrupt, but to the Camiens this title has great importance, presenting herself as a second Prime would be against everything Pyra believes in and to the Camiens both Primes would become suspect.

2. ZeroiaSD

ZeroiaSD Autobot

Fair enough.

Still, it'd be interesting to see what'd happen if she got her hands on an artifact of the Primes.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Windsweeper II

News Credits:
    It would be interesting, because it would solidify her believe that she is worthy to be a Prime and would legitimise her in the eyes of the Camiens.
    I read tha annual and OP5 and i'm starting to think Pyra's challenging Prime has less to do with religious and moral values and more with ambition and religious vainglory (i hope that is a good way of expressing what i mean).
    I think we might be heading toward a holy war.

Particularly the way she says Onyx Prime was affraid of her sounds like she easily overestimates herself and builds herself up in her own mind as a counterforce against the Primes who brought ruin to their race.
    I kinda like what Barber seems to be doing with the character, it's unusually deep for the title.

• Like Like x 1
  4. AnomusPrime

AnomusPrime Very sane, not crazy at all

I think part of Pyra's reason for wanting to be Prime is that she feels guilty for letting her former leader die. Then this sense of responsibility extended tremendously. Someone before said she is like OP. I agree. An over-heavy sense of responsibility that is both heroic and egotistical in itself. This intense similarity with different perspectives. No wonder they clashed.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Windsweeper II

News Credits:
    I like that analysis, especially how you describe the dual sides of their sense of duty.
    I think it wasnt just losing their former leader, but what happened to that settlement that seems to have had a traumatizing effect on all the modern Torchbearers. You get the impression of them bonding with some kind of grimm determination. Perhaps thats why their combination is so succesfull, because that event was so defining for all of them.

Edit: The "killer of Galvatron" and other stuff in OP5 was kind of pointless though, didn't seem like Barber put much effort... in that entire issue to be honest.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  6. YoungPrime

YoungPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Basically this!

It's bad enough that Optimus is back on Earth kissing the @sses of annoying, ungrateful, stupid humans. Now he's got a Feminist Bot doing things to him that Grimlock never got away with.

Were the people who voted for this group able to vote on personality because I strongly doubt this is what any of them had in mind.

• Like Like x 1
  7. AnomusPrime

That makes sense. I havent thought about that but grief really is a strong bounding agent. Explains why the others grouped around Pyra while she is determined to not let it happen again.

That bit in OP5 seems a bit lazy of the writer... Pyra criticizing OP on his hypocrisy is good, but her main concern should be OP using people's religious belief to manipulate them, even bringing inexperienced bots into conflict. He is sacrificing other people through manipulation. I'd think Galvatron is not that much of her concern here. But if she wants to roast OP on his general hypocrisy, then there should be more explanation instead of just putting a snappy comment there.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Windsweeper II

News Credits:
    Yeah, the critisism should be more on point. Like you say: calling him out on risking the lives of inexperienced zealots would have made a bunch more sense then the things she did say in that issue.

9. ZeroiaSD

ZeroiaSD Autobot

'Feminist'? Really? That's how you're tackling this?

And people calling out Optimus is exactly the kind of thing they *do* get away with.

No, but this is quite the thing I'm happy with, I think they've made an interesting character who's serving as a strong foil to Optimus. Don't always agree with her of course, but I like her character role.

• Like Like x 5
  10. hardlurk

hardlurk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    some people just, really want to read a comic about female robots being disciplined

i'm not gonna kinkshame

• Like Like x 3
  11. Windsweeper II

News Credits:
    I don't know how you intended that to come over. But yes, i do believe there are people who want to read a comic about female robots being disciplined :lol 

12. YoungPrime

News Credits:
    Calling Prime out? Sure....Prowl did it a lot last year which ended with Prime beating him senseless.

Now Pyra punching OP in the face with no consequences...? Heeeeeeeeeeeell NO!

I think you should wash your eyes out and read that issue again because I doubt it's going to free up the remaining Victorian sets still sitting in the clearance section!

And yes I said FEMINIST! Between Strika catching punches from Devastor, Bayformers using themes from "Always" commercials to make Trailers and the topic at hand in which Barber thinks it's cool to allow this Pyra bot to catch a tantrum and crack OP's face plate open, there's clearly a trend here whether you give it a pass or not. Not trying to make this a political debate, I'm anything but Conservative but I will call out excessive PC crap when it's force down my throat as a TF IDW reader.

Keep in mind it would be more interesting if there was an issue between Prime and Elita (but better written though).

Last edited: Apr 12, 2017
  13. ZeroiaSD

ZeroiaSD Autobot

Wow, just wow.... having fembots be strong, is 'excessive PC crap' to you?

The mind boggles at how your mind works. They're robots, their strength is based on machinery, and Strika is freakin' huge and built like a literal tank (obvious PoP).

Also, Optimus has not-fought-back when attacked by Decepticons before, one trying to kill him, on multiple occasions, let alone someone he knows he can talk to, so.... really, this reads as you disliking it and calling it 'excessive PC crap' solely based on them being women. Which is way more on you than on Barber.

• Like Like x 7
  14. YoungPrime

News Credits:
    Nope!

I like Nautica, Nickel, Chromia, Elita One (so far) and Windblade could stand to be a little tougher IMO and that's just to name a few. See the difference? You would if you tried picking my brain instead of automatically trying to discredit it.

I didn't bother reading the rest of your post since you're clearly not trying to understand the point of mine.

15. Windsweeper II

News Credits:
    I'm gonna have to say you got a point there. But i don't feel that is a problem if it's well done and apart from OP5 i feel Barber has done it very well with Pyra Magna so far.

But i can't agree there.

16. Windsweeper II

News Credits:
    Chromia, should be a little tougher i think. I like Elita One too, but i don't think she should be interacting with Optimus too much just because of the cartoon. I think she actually works very well as an opponent for Starscream. I think Windblade and Nickel in particular should mainly be formidable in politics, strategy and guts. I enjoy how all these Camiens are nestling themselves inside the places of power in Cybertron and nobody seems to be able to stop them becoming more and more influential.

• Like Like x 1
  17. YoungPrime

News Credits:
    Perhaps I should've rephrased that since an opponent of Starscream could possibly be an ally to OP. And since those two encountering each other seems inevitable I have no desire to see Prime and Elita become IDW's Barbie and Ken.

Elita being Catwoman to OP's Batman could be more interesting than whatever the hell Barber has going on with him and Pyra.

18. AnomusPrime

What stupid analogy is that? Elita is nothing like Catwoman. She is much larger than that. Batman and OP too are far from each other. Btw is this hatred actually ship war? You hate Pyra because you like OP and Elita together?? I'm actually amused now.

19. AnomusPrime

No matter who else you put there, your discriminative words doesn't change. They targeted female empowerment as something that shouldn't happen. Think you can bullshit your way through? Bad news, you are fooling no one.

• Like Like x 3
  20. hardlurk

hardlurk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    millions of years ago feminists challenged the authority of the primes and were brutally put down by nova and galvatron

but now pyra magna is back to avenge them!!!

idk im trying