Are you SUPPOSED to not like Pyra Magna?

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Hyoumaru, Apr 2, 2017.

1. Hyoumaru

Hyoumaru Jet-Striker

For a while now I've been pretty displeased with IDW's treatment of Optimus, guy's just trying to do right but at every turn there's someone trying to demonize him. However, Pyra Magna, leader of the Torchbearers, is becoming a particular buggerance lately.

IDW makes it clear that Optimus doesn't believe in any sense of "divinity" when it comes to the Matrix and Primus and such concepts that fuel most autobots, but I can appreciate he does what he does because he feels it's just the right thing to do. Sure such a thing is purely a matter of perspective, but the overall setup seems to be working well enough.

Pyra Magna though, I get her being displeased at the person she was lead to believe was a god doesn't believe in divinity and hates the idea of Optimus "using people", but the recent issue of Optimus Prime leaves me feeling like she's intentionally being written as an antagonist, a problem. Calling out Optimus on "being the killer of Galvatron", was Pyra even aware just how depraved and how big a problem Galvatron was?

I'm not sure how to perceive Pyra Magna, but she's certainly not working her way into any good graces lately.

• Like Like x 3
  2. ZeroiaSD

ZeroiaSD Autobot

She's being put head-to-head with a beloved character, so I do take it we're supposed to view her more as an antagonist to Optimus, yes.

A non-baddie, non-villain antagonist, but an antagonist none the less. Pyra is directly trying to clash with Optimus- while a lot of her design cues echo his so the aim is to put something of a mirror up to him I'd say.

Optimus often works well with someone clashing and challenging him, and that's what she's doing.

• Like Like x 4
  3. AnomusPrime

AnomusPrime Very sane, not crazy at all

I don't think we are supposed to like or not like her, but to recognize her as someone who has some beef against OP, with legit reasons. Still, she was being deliberately sulky to OP at a rather inconvenient time, just for the sake of it. So it's perfectly reasonable to be annoyed if you're on OP's side.
    --------------
    I have add tho, I think she has a point about killing Galvatron, and I think it's a major point, but this point coming from her is a bit unconvincing. Firstly we don't know her character that well yet. Secondly she is rather new here. It would be better if Soundwave or Arcee questioned Optimus about killing Galvatron, seriously, at a proper time.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
  4. ZeroiaSD

ZeroiaSD Autobot

Flipside, those two don't have much room to criticize killing. Pyra is basically Camien Orion Pax, if I'm reading her right, it comes harder if it's from someone who's hand aren't so dipped in energon of enemies.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    She's just annoying. Hope we get rid of her. Maybe we get lucky and onyx prime kills her. But funny thing is, Optimus is also annoying as fuck, but she's even more annoying.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Don't eat me

News Credits:
    She started off having a point, but now she's just spiteful.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Bass X0

Bass X0 King of Muay Thai

News Credits:
    That can sum up every long-time user here.

• Like Like x 9
  8. ZeroiaSD

ZeroiaSD Autobot

I'll note we just had an issue of her sharing a sensitive part of her past with Optimus.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II The Pristine

News Credits:
    Havent read the latest issues yet, but i was really starting to like Pyra Magna.
    I have had issues with Barbers writing but when he does write something i like i love
    it.
    I like how she confronts OP on ethical points and has the power to challenge him if it comes to that.

• Like Like x 1
  10. AnomusPrime

I actually think they have. They can still question him killing someone who had already surrendered, even if they were killers. Actually, especially since they went through the same awful stuff. Especially Arcee. That is why I think because Pyra is so new here, it is not as convincing for her to make that point.

11. Windsweeper II

News Credits:
    Because she is new to OP, or new to the readers ?

12. Nocturne

Nocturne Professional Ginger

News Credits:
    I have no beef with Pyra and think she's 100%justified in her dislike of Optimus. What I don't like is how Barber fumbles her characterisation, having her be catty at really ridiculous moments, just to drive home a point. It's at odds with the calm and mature leader we know she is.

• Like Like x 1
  13. AnomusPrime

Because she is new to the situations with Galvatron and Cybertronian wars.
    Exactly. It is not a big deal, just feel a little weird. I think she is maybe a bit hotblooded, but not in the talky way.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
  14. supernova222

supernova222 junkion

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    In her defense Optimus has been playing a dirty game lately

• Like Like x 2
  15. Windsweeper II

News Credits:
    I think he has been playing a dirty game all through the war.
    But i like that, because i dont see anybody fighting a million year war in any fair way.
    I think it paints him as a versatile and very strategically talented general and a more realistic leader.
    I also think it makes him a very dark tainted hero, and entertaining stories may come of Pyra Magna challenging him.

• Like Like x 2
  16. hardlurk

hardlurk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    am i supposed to like optimus prime

• Like Like x 2
  17. Boatformer

Boatformer Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Pyra is kind of a jerk, but if anyone deserves to have people be a jerk to them, it's Optimus.

• Like Like x 1
  18. RazorclawX

RazorclawX Campaign Oracle

I get her perspective, but the way she's being written she's almost like the G1 Cartoon Starscream for Optimus, where it's beaten over the head with petty insults. Pyra being an antagonist isn't necessarily a bad thing, but she's also supposed to be a leader and trying to undermine your leader at every turn doesn't exactly endear her to anyone who might have otherwise sympathized with her position.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Mr. Chaos

Mr. Chaos Force Ghost

News Credits:
    We are supposed to hate her, in my opinion. I think they are setting her up to be a Big Bad, of sorts, a new foe for Optimus to battle, now that Megatron is gone (and I honestly don't see him coming back for a LONG while. Lost Light is giving him a ton of depth and I think IDW is finding it easier to make Megatron an Anti Villain/Reluctant Hero/Bot Seeking Redemption than just having him be the evil bad guy).

For comparison, let's look at a character that played a similar role at the beginning of Robots in Disguise: Metalhawk. Both are outsiders who deal with beloved characters, constantly complained about their actions while rarely giving legit alternates, and both hold themselves as 'better' than the main characters.

But with Metalhawk (and let me state for the record I hate his guts and was glad Starscream killed his whiny behind), there were things to like. He did try, he did mellow out a bit, and he did have some valid points.

Pyra and the former Torchbearers are just extermists that constantly belittle Optimus for things he doesn't believe himself and demand that they be the big powerful matrix holder because... reasons.

In fact, I'd say the entire group reminds me a ton of Tyrest and Star Saber... figures that believed too much their own hype and their own worth and eventually became monsters because of it.

I can see Pyra and her group ending up as the new evil combiner team to replace Devestator in the comics.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Sockie

Sockie Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    I think manipulating others into following his orders by using their faith goes beyond "things he doesn't believe himself."

I don't believe Pyra and the Torchbearers are being set up as villains at all, especially after the annual. They're there to add more voices of dissent in the Autobot camp and show that not everything he's doing is exactly squeaky clean.

• Like Like x 3