Are you smarter than a 5th grader?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by rattrap007, Feb 28, 2007.

1. rattrap007

rattrap007 One meme mutha f’er TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Anyone watch this show last night? It is a game show by Jeff Foxworthy.

Premise is similar to 1 vs 100, but instead of going against 100 people you play against 5 10-year-olds (5th graders). The questions are typical stuff from grade school text books. The adult chooses a kid. The kid gets up at the podium. The contestant chooses one of 10 subjects. They are things like 1st grade reading to fifth grade science. All subjects were should have learned in grade school.

You have three helps/cheats. You can "peek" at the kids answer, then decide if you want to use it. You can "copy" the answer sight unseen and hope they got the right one. If you miss the answer, but the kid answers right, you use your save. If you use up all your helps and don't know the answer you can "drop out" of the class. But if you do you have to say to the camera "I am NOT smarter than a fifth grader"

It is kinda funny to see little kids outsmart college grads. Only one I didn't really know last night was "Who was the first president to be impeached". Knew the others. Other questions included:

In REM sleep, what does REM stand for? (Rapid eye movement)
    In what month do we celebrate Columbus Day? (October)
    If you have a triangle with an area of 16 and a base of 8, what is its height? (4)

Forget what some of the others were. But a guy who graduated from UCLA got up there and didn't know a single answer. Only got about $5,000. When the guy was having so much trouble (Think the guy is a lawyer too) Jeff said that the guys at USC must be loving this right now. :lol 

None of the kids have missed the answers yet. Pretty fun little game show.

2. Zero Prime

Zero Prime Windows user no more

I watched it last night. It is a cool little show. I like the idea of seeing how much you forget from your early school days.

3. rawl316

rawl316 Well-Known Member

except they only ask 6 questions in an hour.

4. Jux

Jux Please, call me Steve. Veteran

Saw the commercial. I call shenanigans. I mean, the kids JUST learned that stuff.

5. Tenebrouser

Tenebrouser Craft...or is it crap?

Bingo. It moved waaaaaay too slow and Foxworthy was invisible. I don't see it lasting.

6. RandomFerret

RandomFerret Fuzzy Forever

News Credits:
    Tried to throw in that suspense bullshit that every quiz show tries to do nowadays.
    Here's an open letter to the network:

Dear Dipshits;

Ever heard of Jeopardy? It's pretty popular.

7. funkatron101

funkatron101 TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Exactly... I probably won't watch it again because of it.

I guarantee you that these kids studied about 50 of these specific questions prior to the show. Probably for weeks.

But this show exposes one thing about the school system. We retain about 15% of what we learn. Maybe it's time to shift focus on subjects that affect us on a daily basis. Instead of cramming history lessons down our throats for 12 years, how about you make it mandatory to have classes on how to manage your check book, becoming responsible with credit cards, and more extensive nutrition classes?

8. Katamari Prime

Katamari Prime Hassan Chop!

Sounds depressing for my tastes.

9. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Action Master Super Mod

News Credits:
    i totally agree....i gues knowing when columbus day is could be helpful, should you be kidnapped and tortured by a colunbus day enthusiast....but is it realyl something thats majorly useful? on a side note, i got all the questions right so far, ill keep watchin it, its only 3 days for now...and its funny watching stupid people....

10. Gnaw

Gnaw Banned

After seeing a commercial for this show I said to myself "What ever happened to good Gameshows?". You know, the ones that people would actually wait for every week, maybe plan out a night just to watch it. I remember when Millonaire, Greed and Weakest Link came out. Huge ratings. Now? All we have is Deal or No Deal......exciting.

11. RandomFerret

RandomFerret Fuzzy Forever

News Credits:
    Those are not good game shows. Good game shows are the ones that have stood the test of time. Jeopardy. Wheel of Fortune. The Price is Right. THOSE are good game shows.

12. Phy

Phy I want... ROOM SERVICE!!

News Credits:
    Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego was a good game show.

13. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I totally agree with this. I'd add changing your oil and investing. I actually did an investment assignment in high school that rewarded short term gains, but didn't teach me anything about IRAs or index funds. Took me sitting down as an adult and deciding to learn it, which put me about five years behind.

I just don't see the value in math or science past a certain level for the general public.

14. rawl316

rawl316 Well-Known Member

isn't that what investments involves?

15. Gnaw

Gnaw Banned

Do you need to knwo Trig for that? Or vectors, curve sketching, derivatives etc?

16. funkatron101

funkatron101 TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    It doesn't involve algebra 2 and geometry. Both classes that were mandatory for me to take.

I use basic algebra maybe on a weekly basis, if that. I haven't used geometry in years. History? The only time I have used that is in board games.

and yet I bet half of the people in the US can't balance their checkbook, or have any clue as to what is actually healthy food to eat.

17. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    :lol  that was a great show!

As for Smarter than a 5th grader I didn’t know the Columbus day was in October (only because we call it thanksgiving in Canada) and the president that was impeached thing.

The problem with these shows is that they are not necessarily looking for normal people to be contestant. These are want- to- be actors who are eccentric. Case in point, When deal or no Deal was coming to Canada I thought I would try out, just for fun. The application to try out was massive asking about all sorts of personal experiences, stories and embarrassing events that happened in my life. After read doing half of it I figured, f- it, I am not this person.

And besides, I call BS on the first guy who didn't know about Polar Bears.

18. theLostSeeker

theLostSeeker Well-Known Member

I dropped out after only a couple of questions.

19. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:

:lol 

Was that not ridiculous!?!

What does an embarrassing story have to do with me winning a million dollars?

20. Bendimus Prime

Bendimus Prime Rolls for initiative

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    FTW!