Are you sick of Scalpers ?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by bumbleblogn, Jun 4, 2012.

1. bumbleblogn

bumbleblogn Banned

Ya know , I really hate Scalpers . This hobby is already expensive enough , and when you can't find something , someone else steps the price up about 210% ! What's there problem !

SO that's why im starting this thread , everyone who cant find something and wants some help , please put it down in the comment section below ! Let's stop Scalpers togeather !!!

Now of corse I'm not asking you all to give things away for free , but I am saying to be cool, 5-6 bucks extra is more the enough. but when it comes to 45 for a deluxe is just taking it way to far ! So take this example for thought :

MISB prid vehicon - loose prid Optimus prime (that's pushing it)

That would be just about even at retail cost

So come on guys , let's try and stop those scalper togeather !

Thanks for participating ;) 

Bumbleblogn

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 4, 2012
  2. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    I think there is such a thing as fair market value. And I don't think you can arbitrarily choose $5-6 as a fair mark-up for EVERYTHING. Sure, I understand YOU would like to pay no more than $5 over retail for anything, but that's not realistic, nor fair to the seller.

I agree it sucks when people buy up everything not because they ever had any interest in it, but just so they can flip it. I try not to deal with people like that. That's as far as I'm willing to go with it. People can sell for whatever price they want, and people can choose how much they are willing to pay.

I really want a FE Optimus Prime. I am not willing to pay what the market currently demands. But I don't blame people for selling at that price if there are buyers out there for them. I'm not going to demand that they must sell it to me for cheaper. That's just the way it goes. I can't have that toy, oh well, and life goes on.

3. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    No I love scalpers, I love paying $200% markup for my plastic robot toys since it's so damn convient rather than going to Wal-Mart and pay $10 for it.

4. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I don't care. They exist. I can't do anything to stop them. I know what I will pay for stuff.

5. Ruination04

Ruination04 8 Years Old Since 1984!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I understand there's this whole supply & demand thing, but really, these toys aren't worth what some scalpers want to charge for them. I love to see the auctions on eBay that end with no bids. Some asshole thought he'd get a lot of money for something and he got stuck with it instead. Nothing can really be done about it though. Hell I have a friend who is basically a Hot Wheels scalper...he sees what the going rates are on eBay and he lists cars for pretty high prices. The thing is, there are people who pay it. He doesn't bother me though. I usually get free Camaro's from him... :) 

6. Spawn77

Spawn77 U.S. Marine

I can’t hate on the people who sell them. I bought the FE Optimus for pretty steep, though not near as bad as ebay prices, and I have no regrets about it. It's all about how much that toy is worth to you.

7. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    I agree. So don't buy from them.

8. combaticon164

combaticon164 Warlord of Floriduh

Waiting for the next scalper thread............

9. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    No.

10. Bumblebee3

Bumblebee3 Autobot

News Credits:
    So we offer toys here at a fair price is this the purpose of this thread?

11. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh Mostly Harmless

News Credits:
    They are one toy-related thing I'm happy not to have in my country.

Here we pay our scalper prices directly in the store =B

12. Drake915

Drake915 Autobot Scout

Sorry man....In case you haven't noticed, nobody here is going to jump on board to help fix the problem....they'll just bitch about it when it happens or when you try and help your fellow collectors find stuff. My advice would be to take care of yourself and do what you can to avoid the scalper issue. I stopped helping entirely because of the reaction to me trying to help in the sighting forums. Don't get disheartened though, you tried doing a good thing, it was just your targeted audience who screwed it up.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 4, 2012
  13. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Sellers are free to choose to sell at their own price in my view - and if you don't agree with the price, you can always take your money elsewhere. It's a free market - the prices are only going up way high if there are people willing to pay that much.

Ultimately though if you want to stop people putting silly markups on stuff, it begins at home - if you do your part in helping fellow fans get things at cost (or near to it), then you are giving people that more reasonable alternative. The fandom is pretty spectacular with stuff like the Masterpieces at TRU when fans have got them for one another at cost, so it does happen. The more people who contribute to that kind of thing, the more the prices start to drop across the board.

14. Dr. Grimlockisking

Dr. Grimlockisking Twitter @GrimlockIsKing

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    This. I have zero problem helping people out, but I would hope in turn that they would be willing to help me out in return. That hasn't been the case, so now I'm a bit more selective about who I help out with finding items. And, like it or not, sometimes it is about getting rid of one thing at its peak value to fund another item.

15. Yaujta

Yaujta De-Headmasterizator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Scalpers are an inevitable part of every fandom and collectible franchise. Go to any Hot Wheels, Star Wars, GIJoe, Marvel or whatever forum and you'sll see the same thing repeated over and over.
    The best defense against scalpers is to not buy from them. Order online, make friends or a local network, or hunt like mad.

16. LCDR Blindside

LCDR Blindside Banned

News Credits:
    Well, I don't hate Native Americans, but the ones that kill the white man and take his scalp are very unlikeable.

17. The Dark Seeker

The Dark Seeker Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    All I ask is....once I pay you $80 for a Vehicon, you can at least include a complimentary tube of Rogaine. I don't wanna be bald.

18. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    I just want stores to stock things. We don't really have a scalper problem (rabid collector population and crap stores), but there's never anything good available.

19. 3.8TransAM

3.8TransAM 1989 Turbo Trans AM

lol

Now the real members on there actually go out of each others way to hook everyone up with stuff when it becomes available.

I routinely call other guys up when I'm in a store to ask if they need stuff.

I have also traded for stuff with members of TFW in Germany and Canada when I couldnt get something here.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 5, 2012
  20. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Why are we assuming that [insert current hard to find figure] is ALWAYS being bought by a scalper? We're far too quick to blame the scalper theory for our unfortunates during collecting. Don't buy off of Ebay, make some friends in your community, and stay on top of your hunting if you really want the figure. The reason scalpers exist is because there's always someone who will buy the $50 Vehicon off of Ebay.