Are you sick of comic crossovers?

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by Tekkaman Blade, Jan 16, 2009.

?

Do you want more Crossovers

Poll closed Feb 5, 2009.
  1. Yes I can't get enough

1 vote(s)
    1.9%
  2. I don't mind them if they are written well.

27 vote(s)
    50.9%
  3. No I can't stand another one we just finished the last one!

17 vote(s)
    32.1%
  4. $3.99 an issue during a recession what are they crazy?

8 vote(s)
    15.1%
  1. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    Well? With all the complaints about Marvel and Dc crossovers lately (1/2 by me) I was curious what everyone thought.

2. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

Am I sick of Mega-Universe-shaking-worlds changing crossover-events?

[​IMG]

Too bad I could vote for both options 3 and 4.

And for frame of reference. Before the Big Two whole-heartedly embraced crossovers, I was reading 10-15 titles from each company. Now, I'm reading 4-5 from Marvel and 3 from DC.

3. Tekkaman Blade

News Credits:
    I don't mind when their done in one or two titles like Nova or Green Lantern, I've even enjoyed new krypton. It's events like civil war and secret invasion, that go for 6 months and crossover into 98% of the titles and you have to read 60% of them 20+ titles just to understand what is going on, then the ending stinks, then they start a new crossover, those are the ones I can't stand.

4. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    I'm really getting tired of these things. Like Tekkaman Blade I can take a good event spread across a couple of books, but the huge mega crossovers with fifty tie-in issues have got to end. The poor Marvel Universe hasn't had a stable status quo in years - it just leaps from one big crossover event to another. House of M led to Civil War which led to World War Hulk which led to Secret Invasion which lead to Dark Reign which will lead to who knows what? Yes, big events can be cool, but when they're all you do it just drains your readers' energy (and pocketbooks).

5. ErechOveraker

ErechOveraker I'm with Plowking.

News Credits:
    Crossovers have turned me from a $50 a week reader to maybe a trade a month now. And that's a big maybe half the time, too.

I know lots of people who feel the same way too, which at least makes me feel better you know? I'm not alone!

6. swarlock

swarlock Autobot Supporter

If done right. The crossovers can be fun.

But if it's done one after the other without a break then I know Marvel is playing dirty pool with their customers.

7. Hybrid Prime

Hybrid Prime Banned

Personally I think crossovers suck.I've never liked them since I've read comics.They mess up story lines and make things too far fetched.On occasion a small 4 issue crossover does not bother me much as long as it fits into the story well.But come on Hasbro crossing everything with Transformers and all the comics crossing over for so long you think they changed the title.This is one reason I stopped collecting/buying comics.

8. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

its worse when titles are included and screw up the current story just to be involved. Its also bad when the main title of the crossover cant come out on time, which causes everything to get pushed back, more issues getting added, or etc.

if its written good, its not bad...but still, way too much crossovers.

so far the only crossover i liked was New Krypton (Superman titles) and Final Crisis (more like just Legion of Three Worlds and Rage of the Red Lanterns).

Last edited: Jan 17, 2009
  9. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    I don't mind stores contained within one series or a family of titles. I'm not as keen on these huge universe shattering events, since they tend to get too complicated and just lately seem to be really hard to follow.

Also they never tend to have a lasting effect.

10. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

I miss shorter, self contained stories like "Hero goes X, defeats villain Y and return home".

11. CripNite

CripNite That Whack Canuck Dude

When all they are is a setup for the next event, it's annoying.

When they're a convoluted mess that takes reading anything in existence anywhere in order to understand anything in the series, it's annoying.

When it's written in a non-linear and non-explanatory method, it's annoying.

But... when it's confined to a book or two with perhaps a couple one shots to support the story it's good.

So in closing, Final Crisis and Civil War can bite me, but Sinestro Corps War and New Krypton were good. Hell, even ongoing Spidey is good considering it feels like one big ongoing event right now.

12. Lord Of Tetris

Lord Of Tetris Well-Known Member

I don't have a problem with the concept of crossovers. If done right, they can be really fun. There are dozens of great JLA stories (JLA is one big crossover anyway), and I smiled the whole time reading "JLA and the Avengers." I do have a problem with bad crossovers. I'm surprised "New Avengers & The Transformers" didn't inspire people to kill themselves!

I have a very big problem with continuity-shattering "crises." Call them "events," "crises," "civil wars," whatever. I am reading Final Crisis without any prior knowledge of the events, and I fell asleep during each issue. It reads more like the Sunday comics: each character gets a page or two per issue where he gets a hermetically-sealed plot point, then it moves onto the next character's hermetically-sealed plot point. I'm at issue 4 right now (I just picked up issues 1-6 last week), and it's so BORING. The JLA sit around talking about how deadly the stupid anti-life equation is, but I only got to see its devastating effects for like 3 pages total. When there is a threat, I want to see the threat. A bunch of JLA Z-list members whose names I don't know just sit around in a room and talk about how deadly this virus is. I find myself quite apathetic.

Characters don't emote, they describe their feelings. Characters don't show personality, they just deliver exposition. I don't really care how or if Batman dies, if it's poorly-written (and reversible after a few months anyway).

The thing about event books is that reading a summary on Wikipedia is probably more enjoyable than reading the real thing. My favorite Bat-books from the last few years are "Dark Detective" and "Death and the City." The former is a great 6-issue story done by the writer and artist from the 70s; nobody dies, nobody finds out Batman's secret identity, nobody's superhero origin is revealed. It was amazingly well-written, but overshadowed by "Infinite Crisis," which came out the same time.

The latter is a 6-issue TPB of stories written by Paul Dini. The stories do not intersect, and they all (gasp) show Batman fighting crime. No major characters die, nobody receives a superhero's mantle, nobody becomes the next Spectre or Green Lantern. Any issue from that TPB is easily ten times more exciting than anything I've seen in "Final Crisis" and "Batman: RIP."

I always prefer the smaller, more-personal stories over stories where "OMG WHAT WILL HAPPEN TO CHANGE BATMAN'S RELATIONSHIP WITH THE JLA THIS TIME????" Ten issues of Infinite Crisis, Final Crisis, and Secret Invasion won't contain the personality and charm found in one issue of "The Long Halloween."

13. AniProwl

AniProwl Banned

News Credits:
    I am sick of crossovers especially Marvel's

Glad IDW hasn't done one with Transformers.

( Looks at New Avengers and Transformers )

Oh, shoot!

14. Optimus1986

Optimus1986 TMNT & Hulk Fanatic

I've written a few myself in the fanfic section. They have to have characters that I like (very few in the DCU).

I would love to see Superman fight Skywarp.

15. Tekkaman Blade

News Credits:
    While interesting I meant more of the current comic industry over use of them rather than well written stories to sell books.

16. Darkravager

Darkravager Zombie Hunter

I voted before I read the replies. I really think people have nailed it on the head that major events are good when they are confined to a specific family of titles. Death and Return of Superman, Batman Knightfall, Sinestro Corps War are some of my favorite stories of all time.

That said, massive crossovers can be good as well if they are done well. Crisis on Infinite Earths was quite good. The problem with these types of stories I think is that they get so full of characters that it's difficult for us to care about anyone other than the characters we are already familiar with. Because of that, the stories seem dry. Of course many of these also just feel rushed and very superficial (Final Crisis).

17. Spider Striker

Spider Striker ThisGuyWithTheYellowCap

I miss the days when they were done every few years or so. That way, weather they were good or bad, you knew you didn't have to worry about the next one for a while.

18. Fairlady_Z

Fairlady_Z Official Voice of Flareup

I have no problem with crossover as long as they:

1. Actually resolve something, not just serve as a set up for the next crossover

2. Happen in the characters own books instead of needed a brand new miniseries just for said crosover

19. Tekkaman Blade

News Credits:
    I think I'm going to make a new poll, Do you like the current way they use crossovers or not?

20. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

I remember when Joe Q first came on board as EIC, and his game plan was: No second printings, No variant covers, No characters returning from the dead, and No crossover mega-events. The stories were judged on their own quality and long jaded fans started returning to books they loved in their childhood. Now comics rest solely on all four once again and I see more and more of those fans giving up the hobby once again. It really is getting back towards the 90s menality sadly and that can't be good.