Are you secretly working for hasbro?!?!

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Blackout2505, Jan 28, 2010.

1. Blackout2505

Blackout2505 Well-Known Member

Ok so here is the deal. My dad doesnt like me collecting figures.:rolleyes:  He know I go often on tfw to check forums and news but he keep telling me that its an entire lie. He believes that almost all of collectors,customizers and reviewers are being secretly paid by hasbro to promote their figures and make the general public believe that transformers is a huge and amazing thing and that transformers in general isnt as popular as people believe:crazy: .
    To back up his claim he keep telling me that I am the only person he knows that collects figures and that it is weird for a 17 year to be playing with figures (he doesnt know the difference between collecting and playing yet:gen069: ) I ask him how does he know all this and he tells me (isnt it obvious? I just know). He got upset when I got my ROTF bludgeon saying he was too small for his price of 30$ canadian and that he isonly worth 10$:sly2: 

Of course I think he makes no sense whatsoever.
    1.If transformers wasnt popular then why do they still exist after 25 years?
    2.Why is there TWO live action movies with a huge budget made?
    3.If they are indeed paying people then they are spending a ton on publicity.
    4.Where do I sign up to get paid?:drool: 
    5.Why are hasbro sales higher than they ever been? Arent they getting money primarly from toys?

Tell me what do you think? and are you secretly working for Hasbro? Its ok to say I wont tell anybody:wink: 

2. Wajo357

Wajo357 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I feel bad for you. A coworker of mine has a mother that sounds similiar to your father. The easiest way (that I can think of) to inform your father is to show pictures/videos of botcon and the thousands of people (mostly your age and above) who are there collecting.

3. Moroni Prime

Moroni Prime #TFYLP Podcast

News Credits:
    Nah, they'd claim they were all paid actors. What you do is take offer to spend a weekend together as father and son. don't tell him where you're going, just that it involves a road trip and quality time...... TAKE HIM TO BOTCON!!!!!

4. U.Magnus80

U.Magnus80 Well-Known Member

You dont have to explain yourself. You collect TFs because you enjoy it. I'm sure there are things your dad spends money on that you could argue is a waste too.
    Some people don't get it, and that's ok. They don't need to.

5. Wajo357

News Credits:
    tell him its the NEW way to get chicks in school! Rock-N-Roll was soooo his generation :) 

6. Moroni Prime

Moroni Prime #TFYLP Podcast

News Credits:
    more to the point, there has to my knowledge only ever been one Hasbro employee to have been a member here, and that didn't last very long until he got found out and reported. That was Hasbro's own Aaron Archer who was here under the username 'Orson'. He used to have his own article called 'orson's world' where he would preview upcoming toys and ask for feedback on ideas. Some of the best figures came out of orson's world, and for what I know was the first instance of Hasbro really getting involved with the fanbase.

I myself do not work for Hasbro, that would be a dream job. Alas I just work in a warehouse on the south side of town here, in the shipping department. I make $8.90/hour and my wife is a fulltime student.

7. Blackout2505

Blackout2505 Well-Known Member

Problem is I already did that with the first movie commentary and some youtube videos :( 

8. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Don't eat me

News Credits:
    Does he also perchance believe the moon landing was a hoax and that 9/11 was an inside job?

9. Metal Chaos

Metal Chaos The Spark of Chaos

News Credits:
    My moms sort of the same way. She believes I'm the only person on earth who buys TFs and she threatens to throw them away a lot. When I was living with my dad he actually cleared off all the shelves in the living room so I could put my TFs on display there. Wish my mom could be that supportive.

10. Torque

Torque The WORDSMITH

News Credits:
    we've been discovered, lets split!!! Cheese it!

only kidding of course-your dad sounds a bit paranoid. take him to Botcon when it comes around-then see if he believes ya. and $10 for bludgeon? ya right

11. thenatureboywoo

thenatureboywoo Veteran

News Credits:
    Your dad may have a point to an extent. Just hear me out. Why are you collecting transformers? Do you collect transformers to fit in to the group here at tfw2005. Or do you collect them because you sit at home at stare at the awesomeness that are really cool transformers? Don't collect to fit in, collect them because you love them. If you are the latter, you'll be fine and eventually he will understand. :) 

12. Optimus Vader

Optimus Vader Banned

Canadians rarely make sense; so I wouldn't listen to him.

13. 46+2

46+2 Well-Known Member

Your dad rocks!

14. CZ Hazard

CZ Hazard Sons of Unicron PTT

News Credits:
    Dude, you need to figure out how much moving out would eat into your Transformers budget. There should be an equation for mentalist parents vs. increased disposable income.

15. Grimwing

Grimwing Scientist Supreme

News Credits:
    I make $8.90/hour full time working for Walmart. I stock the toy department and clean floors.

It would be rough to get up every day and go to work if I did'nt have something nice hobby like Transformers Collecting to build on.

Start paying the Rent. They become dependant on your income. And then they have to tolerate your robots.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2010
  16. quiktake

quiktake Well-Known Member

Listen to your father. He's the one who pays the bills.

Collect alternators for a while. They are much more adult collector friendly and less kiddy.

17. ersico

ersico Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    my wife and parents are happy i collect transformers, sure i like tattoos and piercings as well, however if these are my only vices, they are much happier that its them and not drinking/partying/drugs..............could always be worse and in the end. i can always resell these toys to either make money or break even.

18. Wajo357

News Credits:
    I am an engineer for Hasbro's Transformer team and am now working on TF3
    ****bangs head*** wakes up******
    ----Lets try again-----
    I am an engineer at a defense contractor that makes boxes... :( 

19. megamus

megamus Overworked and Underpaid Veteran

News Credits:
    You all have been getting paid!!!! Son of a B%$^#!!!!!!

20. jessecuster

jessecuster One Goal!

News Credits:
    I am not saying that we don't work for Hasbro or Takara.

Or perhaps I have said too much.