Are you really supporting the franchise?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by scubaboy31, Apr 1, 2008.

1. scubaboy31

scubaboy31 Digital Gypsy

News Credits:
    In response to all the criticism of bootleggers ripping off product and stopping the cash flow into HasTak's coffers, I'd just likke to know wherw we all stand with these 'early adopters' of the animated line. There are people with the entire first wave months before release. People are kitbashing unreleased product. This is NOT us supporting the brand or our hobby. Criticising the sale unauthourised reproductions of 'out of print' items is one thing. That is the defence of our hobby. To prevent potential sales of a current main line IS damaging. We may play a small part in the sales demographic but it counts.

Just my opinion.

Yay or Nay?

2. Dinobot Nuva

Dinobot Nuva Johnny 3 Tears Veteran

News Credits:
    Can I be in the middle?
    Meh.

DN

3. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    I'd just like to know how many more people will buy Animated toys because those of us who got them early reviewed them, posted pictures, and answered questions about them. I'd be willing to bet it'll rather considerably outweigh the number of us who got Animated stuff early.

And incidentally.

As I sit here and type this, in a room with somewhere in the region of 600 Transformers, ranging from original G1 right up to the present day, I'd like to say I take great offense to your comment about NOT supporting my hobby.

4. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Per the thread title, I buy an awful lotta product, so I figger I'm supporting TFs and HasTak.

Far as the other stuff, people have opinions and other people will continue to ignore them. Eh.

5. butz

butz slippery when wet

I don't support the franchise, least not deliberately.

6. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Personally, I have no problem with people buying figures this early, as it is really nice to get the early reviews. At the same time, it's not something I ever see myself doing, and I think that it is a bit waistfull to buy them for such a mark up. But also at the same time, it's other people spending their money, so I don't really care what they do with it. While they aren't helping the franchise, I don't think it's actually hurting it that badley. If it was, Hasbro/Takara wold actualy do something about it. In the end, the early reviews are enough to make me content, and not get mad at those who willingly buy the figures and tell us about them. For some reason, this makes me think of phenomenology (I think I'm spelling that correctly), which basically means that reality is different for each indevidual. That's something I've learned in the General Psychology class that I'm taking this semester (feels good to use it in an every day situation, lol). As for my answer to the question in the title, sorta, but not nearly as much as some fans.

7. scubaboy31

scubaboy31 Digital Gypsy

News Credits:
    Hey I'm not trying to cause offence, just trying to gauge opinion. create discussion. I'm not judging anyone here. What you do with your money is your own choice.

What i'm asking, is whether you would rather give your money to the people who MAKE the the toys, thus encouraging them to make more (or at least aknowledge the fanbase to the degree they do) or give support someone who is (probably) stealing them from the factory?

Is this any worse than buying KOs?

They don't (really) affect current sales, just after market value.

Sgain, not judging, just curious what you think.

8. Ktulu

Ktulu Whoosh TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    As usual, Draven stole the point I'd make :p 

There are many who have decided to buy up Animated like crazy due to the prototype/test shot reviews that have popped up the last few months. It's generated huge amounts of interest within the fan community. Those reviews have helped sway the opinions of many that were feeling iffy about the toys. If that isn't supporting the franchise, I don't know what is.

9. scubaboy31

scubaboy31 Digital Gypsy

News Credits:
    thanks, that was one of the most reasoned responses i've read in a long time.

10. scubaboy31

scubaboy31 Digital Gypsy

News Credits:
    by this rational, Hasbro could just doctor up a load of online videos and increase sales. I like the idea. Kinda like the club Nightbeat vid was going in the right direction.

however this still isnt tackling the 'versus bootlegging' angle I'd like to get opinions on.

11. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    While the ones with early figures stand out, there is a very few that actually get these compared to the people that will buy the normal figures. You also have to think that people who by the prototypes will also buy the regular release.

I know I support the franchise. I get the DVDs, the comics, & the majority of the figures. Except for a bootleg lio-convoy from BigLots, every TF item I own is an official item I bought in a store (or came from a store originally)

12. Optimus Scourge

Optimus Scourge Arcee's boy toy Veteran

News Credits:
    I was gonna post in my defense, but Draven covered it.

13. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Your opinion was noted. Now get lost. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Well, the only thing I'm going to say is that Hasbro could be getting in on the action themselves, but they decided to wait almost six months after the show starts to release their toyline. What did they think was going to happen? People will get what they want.

And, honestly, if Hasbro cared they'd have done something about it. Just like with the KO's. They do nothing because they don't care... or perhaps they're incapable of doing something.

And, to answer your initial question, yes I support the franchise. Would I rather give my money to Hasbro? Yeah, sure... don't have to pay them half of what the toy cost me in shipping. However, while I can wait for most of the line... I've decided that waiting until close to the end of the year for two very awesome characters after I've already seen almost all of season one (yeah, one episode away from the end of a season and still no toys to be released anytime soon! :lol  ) is, while cheaper financially, annoying when I can't think of a good reason for this delay. Coincidentally, there happen to be plenty of guys in Hong Kong whom understand my frustrations and are willing to sell me a toy albeit at a mark up. I did the same thing with Cybertron when we saw Galaxy Force out in Japan about six months before it was released stateside... I owned all of wave 1 and most of wave 2 thanks to BBTS selling GF stuff long before Cybertron ever showed up over here... and while I won't do that with Animated (mainly because of the high shipping from the eBay sellers) it won't stop me from buying up those few characters whom I think are so awesome that I just can't wait.

14. Red Alert

Red Alert Security

News Credits:
    i dont take offense to the original poster,yes i buy early and yes i still will buy when they are released in june.Hell i just bought a classics sunstreaker because of my tax return.:D 

I look at it that those who post reviews and pics(myself included) are helping everyone make a good decision on what to buy and what not to buy.

15. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    People are crazy to spend hundreds of dollars on the pre-releases when they will be out in store in a matter of months or even weeks. That being said, there is a handful of these people and don't IMO have a big impact the the total sales generated. Also, if I know these hard core collectors, I would assume that they will probably pick up a few retail figs too.

16. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    I have three animated figures I got off eBay (which I got MONTHS early and about $10 over cost each), sitting among my other 300 or so figures I've collected over the years which were mostly bought at the store, and I plan to buy many more from the store. In fact, I've already pre-ordered the rest of wave one from Hasbro.

Hasbro has made thousands off me already, so I'll be damned if anybody tries to tell me "I'm not supporting the franchise". I take offense at that, hell yes I do.

So, you get a big ol' NAY. Buying three animated figures early from someone who is likely working for slave wages in a dirty factory doesn't bug me at all. I can see how you may liken it to KO sales, but KOs don't bother me in the least either, especially ones Hasbro won't release ever again.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2008
  17. jazz4ever

jazz4ever I'm turned on by numbers

no i think its hasbros own fault for not releasing them earlier just because the movie is more popular

18. Ktulu

Ktulu Whoosh TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    It's really not going to hurt the over all sales. The tons of kids that'll be getting them at retail will more than make up for any minute potential loss in sales a few hundred fans getting them early has brought on.

19. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    I...really don't care. Hasbro will probably survive, what with its multitude of licensed merchandise.

20. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Once again, Draven, you post exactly what I was thinking.