Are you in the fandom just for the toys?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by thenatureboywoo, Mar 3, 2010.

1. NSP

NSP Trust Me!

Ebay:
    (secret here)

I was more in it for the Cartoon to be honest.....

2. kamuix

kamuix weeeeee

i used to watch what i could as a kid and just having the toys that could do the same as the cartoon character was what got me. although i've never really watched a whole lot of g1. when beast wars came out, i got really into that buying tons of figures from the line. after that, whatever transformer came out that looked cool, i'd get them.

when animated came out, i went crazy and basically snagged every toy from the show i could. when rotf came out, i bought a lot and i'm kinda regretting it. now i'm trying to sell some of the rotf figures.

all in all, i think i was more into the toys, but i am trying to watch transformers to let me understand some of the lore or background of the toys i buy. so far i bought season 1 dvd and parts of season 2 but i haven't really put the time to watch.

3. Bulletbill

Bulletbill Maverick

I'm in it for the toys and the lore.

4. joebot.

joebot. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Instagram:
    I grew up watching reruns of G1 episodes with my little brother and I watched Beast Wars every morning before school when it ran. I also got Transfomers toys almost every Christmas. Both bring a great sense of nostalgia for me so I guess you could say I am in it for both. The first movie brought me back into the franchise.

5. ZeroEdge

ZeroEdge Geass'd

News Credits:
    Most of my TF knowledge comes the movies and cartoon series so other then what I remember...my TF knowledge is zilch.

So yeah, I'm mostly in it for the toys but also because I enjoy the whole lore.

6. RedAlert Rescue

RedAlert Rescue Banned

News Credits:
    I'm VERY toycentric, but am also fond of the CGI TV Shows.
    I used to back that up with an interest in TF comics, but IDW Succeded in killing that where even Dreamwave failed.
    So now i'm 90+% toy focused.
    So I know who Drift is but i've not as yet read a comic he's in, not watched the 80's cartoon for years, and I don't own a ROTF DVD as yet.

7. NCStarscream

NCStarscream Me Grimlock cute

News Credits:
    Toys first. Everything else is secondary, but I'm still interested in it all.

I'm certainly no expert on much of it (the comics are my biggest weak point in terms of knowledge), but I have no aversions to any of it and I enjoy finding new bits of lore I may have overlooked.

8. Mechafire

Mechafire Shadow Broker Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    I'm half and half. Over the years, there's been more toys that have won me over than the shows they tied into, but I pretty much got started with Transformers watching the Beast Wars cartoon. Hell, sometimes the cartoon is what persuades me to buy a toy. Beast Wars is a good example of this.

9. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Action Figures>Videos>books I'm in for it all.

10. shunquan

shunquan ACID STORMER

News Credits:
    I collect the stuff thats been published by IDW, to be honest, I gotten the dvds for g1, victory, masterforce, etc and I have yet to watch them, so whatever memories I have of the cartoon are just those I watch as a kid and movie 1.

11. Coolhand

Coolhand Spiff's Stunt Double

The main draw for me are the toys. Whilst some of the official fiction is certainly entertaining fun (Some of the cartoons and comics, the 07 movie) I've never found it to be grippingly good in a way that would make me a fan if the toys were not around. Having said that, I think a lot of the lore of transformers fiction, such as the character bios and overall concepts, are utterly fantastic. So I'll buy Masterpiece Grimlock because I LOVE the toy, think the concept of who the character is described as is fantastic, but never really get revved up about any of the cartoon stories he was in.
    If that makes sense.:lol 

12. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I enjoy most everything TF-related, but for me it's 95% toys and 5% fiction/ancillary stuff.

Since the fiction is often riddled with errors, and because the toys are the source material, I see them as trumping everything else.

Which is why FIBRIR. :) 

13. unclemarsellus

unclemarsellus Imaginaut

This is a difficult one for me to answer. Even though I haven't seen any of the series after G1, nor have I read any of the comics after the original Marvel series and the first Dreamwave mini-series, I can't say that my love of Transformers comes only from the toys. The core G1 mythology and my nostalgia clouded memories of what G1 represents to me are at the heart of my love. But I don't have to be aware of the fiction surrounding a character or toy to buy it. I always imagine my own G1 influenced histories for the toys anyway. For example, no matter what version of Optimus Prime I get, he's always the Peter Cullen G1 Prime personality in my head. Even the live action movie, which I do like, wasn't the only reason I bought the toys.

It's not as cut and dry with me.

14. Cornholiocon

Cornholiocon Up the irons!

Great topic.

Defintely all about the G1 toys and original cartoon for me. Never been into comics and detested the live action movies. Anything I know about TFs is from those two sources.

15. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

Well if we are on the horrible secret thing mine is that I really wasn't into the toys until Cybertron.

I had some of the G1 toys as a kid, but they just seemed lacking compared to their cartoon look and the articulation as not as playable as my GI Joe figures were.

Somewhere around Cybertron they really seemed to hit that magic mark with both sculpting and the articulation. Then Classics came out and I was hooked on the toys (well except for the movie toys).

16. Hyperoptic

Hyperoptic G1-Junkie

News Credits:
    All about the toys for me

17. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm almost entirely in it for the toys and the associated media doesn't concern me very much. I'll watch/read the non-toy stuff when/if I get around to it, but it usually always takes a backburner to the figures. If the cartoon, movie, comic book, interpretive dance or whatever that goes along with the newest TF toyline is good, then I consider it a bonus. If it sucks, it doesn't take away from my appreciation of the toys any.

18. Jetbolt

Jetbolt Maximal Air Commander

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube (Handle):
    From start to end, BW, BM, and Animated is the only series I watch every episode of.

I've pretty much done figures only though. Never cared about comics and only TF related clothes I care about are the ones about BW. Which isnt much sadly.