Are you fed up with TF ?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by SureShot90, Feb 4, 2009.

1. SureShot90

SureShot90 Peace=superior firepower

Ebay:
    Not starting a heated discussion or so. But I see there are many hughe fans of the TF line, and I really do understand why... but don't you ever get fed up with it ? I'm thinking both toywise, cartoon, comics etc. Is there a limit you have within the TF universe where you tell yourself "here to and no longer" ?.
    I'm just curious because after over a decade of TF's last year in September I just got fed up with TF (I've explained this in more detail in "My Collection" thread page 13 post #126). Not the typical one where you say you'll just take a break and get into it. This time I really felt fed up with it, and I said to myself here to and no longer.... and since November I haven't bought any TF's nor really cared about what new things that would come... I can't bring myself to give any interest into TF.A or Universe 2008 figures... well I think they're nice, but nothing I desire to own.
    One reason why I don't care much for the toys are all the repaints and general poor quality control of stuff. I'm from the G.1 area so yes I compare most new things with G.1, but seriously I have 20year-old toys that feel a lot sturdier than all the new figure and they feel so much more durable eventhough may be brick compared with todays standard... but they're pretty bricks :) 
    Well all in all, what I'm saying is that I've lost interest in TF at some level. I still care about G.1 and that area, and eventhough I've been extremely openminded with new lines and stuff it's just gone, there's no affectional value to it.
    I think I've stepped down from being a "completist" to an "eager collector" and now to "just fan" and not having collecting TF's as a goal.

2. deltaprime

deltaprime The Christian Transfan

News Credits:
    Not sure how this thread is gonna end up, but I agree with you. G1 toys are pretty bricks!

3. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl

Never been fed up with TF. Probably not gonna be, not now, not ever.

4. SureShot90

Ebay:
    Funny thing is I said exactly the same in the summer 08 :) .... but bam slam in the face during september/october and everything changed... and I've ben actively collecting on and off for minor periods since 1997. Had a break from 92 to 96 since I didn't have the interwebz for hunting.

5. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

Unless they decide to revive Beast Wars, I can't see me feeling that way.

6. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    YES! Not EVAA! After more than 2 decades of this, why stop now?

P.S. As for Bricks, I love'em. (Powermaster Prime could be used for combat! :lol ) Remember though, even most Beasts are bricks in ALT mode.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2009
  7. Digilaut

Digilaut Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    There has been a single moment where I thought I didn't need to collect Transformers...but then I got clean again and my body just hungered for more plastic crack! GNHAAARGHHH!!

8. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
    Even if I was fed up with TFs, I would never tell myself "here to and no longer" because grammatically it makes no sense.

TFs is just a hobby with me -- something I enjoy as a casual fan in my spare time. I don't give it much more thought than that.

9. SureShot90

Ebay:
    No no I think you got me wrong. It's not about planning to stop or wanting to stop. It's about that the passion suddenly just is gone, and I don't think that really is up to yourself to control ? either it is there or not.... and I'm just wondering if others have experience the same ?. I not talking of it as being something like at midlife crisis or so, because really this is just a "luxury problem" so to say.
    It's like some one you love, you don't just feel the same for anymore.

Ya ya... I'm not native american/english... "here to and no further" then.

10. iconscons

iconscons Well-Known Member

I can't say I'm there yet. It always depends on what's next. If we get 2 years of movie toys, I could loose mountains of interest. (They're fine in their own right, but I just don't care for look) I'm fairly certain, crappy ball joints will be what drives me out, if I'm ever driven out at all.

I hope I enjoy it forever though.

11. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    No, I do feel the same. I Grok Transformers. I've seen them at their best and worst. The figures are almost "alive" to me.

"They were always real to me!" as the saying goes.

Transformers have been with me through good times and bad. (Toys are loyal) and I'm hopeless. I so love TF plastic crack!

12. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
    Ah, I see. It lost something in the translation. My apologies for nitpicking your grammar then.

Incidentally, I'm not Native American or English either. I'm an American. ;) 

But I think every fan experiences burnout at one time or another (and some of us more than once). Usually it's brought on by things outside of our fandom though. Like the current US economic situation and personal financial struggles has forced a lot of fans to reconsider how important their collections are to them in the grand scheme of things.

13. thenatureboywoo

thenatureboywoo Veteran

News Credits:
    I've only been collecting for about a year and a half now, but I don't let them control my life. They are a nice distraction. Something to be curious about. Any time you let something control your life, i can see how you could get burned out.

14. daitarn red

daitarn red bionic hero

i like tf toys and tf g1 shows are good

15. SureShot90

Ebay:
    Yea I think you right about that. It could force you into reflecting your priorities. However I don't make enough money to feel the economic crisis hurting me, I usually get by with my ass just an inch above waterlevel - a danish expression which closest translation I think would be "by the skin of one's teeth" :) 

16. Dormamu

Dormamu I am Broot.

News Credits:
    It's a love/hate relationship.

You love it until you hate the money flying out of your pocket.

17. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl

Exactly!

18. AnimatedFan

AnimatedFan Banned

I'm fed up with the repaints, remolds (unless they're extensive), bad QC, and shoddy distribution.

None of that, however, is enough to make me fed up with the whole kit n' kaboodle.

No, my TFs even with all of their imperfections are special to me. Each one of them has some extra TLC and a backstory to go with it. From the ones I've repaired, to the ones I've painted, to gifts from family and friends, each one has some great meaning to me.

No, I love collecting TFs and by getting even the least little bit of enjoyment out of it, it makes it worth it to me.

19. Omega Charge

Omega Charge CHARGE ON

News Credits:
    I'm far from being fed up. I'm still around here, right?

For me, now's the time to get excited!

20. Skylock

Skylock Rogue

News Credits:
    The only thing I'm fed up with is the empty wallet, other than that I'm content. :)