Are you Ever a Non Transformer Collector???

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Bigdaddymcqueen, Sep 22, 2016.

1. Horzzo

Horzzo Well-Known Member

Star Wars and Transformers were my first toy lines as an early 80's kid and remain the focus of my collecting. I also got back into retro gaming big time and have a large collection. Far too many. Also Legos. Also NECA. Too much? I enjoy it. I'm a sucker for nostalgia.

Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

• Like Like x 2
  2. Bigdaddymcqueen

Bigdaddymcqueen Well-Known Member

I totally agree! Once you are a Transformer " Collector" I feel you always are in one way or another. Even when I wasn't actively collecting, I still followed the news about them and looked at new pieces.
    It seems like once they are a part of your life, they always are! Lol

• Like Like x 1
  3. marvel b

marvel b Bearer of the Matrix of Smash

News Credits:
    hulkbusters.......i collect hulkbusters..........unfortunately for me, i had no money during avengers 2.........the best time TO be a hulkbuster collector

• Like Like x 1
  4. EightiesKid

EightiesKid G1 archivist

News Credits:
    I collect all sorts of stuff, I love most of the vintage stuff from the 80's. I mostly collect Transformers, GI Joe, some Star Wars, Robotech/Macross, and some Star Trek. I also get some Marvel Legends, and occasional odd ball stuff. There is always stuff to get, but one has to be selective.

• Like Like x 1
  5. EightiesKid

EightiesKid G1 archivist

News Credits:
    I used to collect that line as well, great stuff. I actually found that I liked the books better than the ships. Eventually it required too much space though. I got out before getting the Borg Cube, which is what I would have liked to have gotten.

6. MagpieMad

MagpieMad Well-Known Member

Apart from MP Transformers I collect Hot Toys, Play Arts Kai and MOTUC. My wife is expecting our first child in December though, so my collecting budget is gonna be getting slashed soon.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Max Tower

Max Tower Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I guess the intent of the 1st post is to ask have you ever stopped collecting after you started... Well I did come pretty close to loosing interest due to Hasbro not bothering to distribute their toys properly at some points - that lead to me dropping Marvel toy collecting simply as I could no longer get them.

To answer the question in the way many other people interpreted it :

Yes I've collected lots of other things in the past like the Mattel's "The Batman" toyline, I've also Dabbled in Power Rangers & Sentai and a bit of Star Trek Merchandise sometimes.

To take the original Question and apply it to other lines I'd say I'm no longer a serious collector of Star Wars, Gi Joe, Marvel or Turtles stuff.

Turtles I didn't like the art style of post 2000's shows so I lost interest - I see the odd bit that temps me like the new classics figures - but i've resisted so far.

Marvel I buy the odd bit when it's on sale and I pick up the Marvel Heroes second hand but it's quite casual - I'd not buy the 5 POA toys at all though except very cheaply 2nd hand.

Star Wars as a whole i've lost complete interest in It used to be my number 2 fandom now it barely registered I limit myself to 2nd hand galactic heroes figures and the odd droid.

Gi Joe I wasn't able to get anymore so I was sort of forced into stopping buying it. also I kind of don't like being sold the same thing twice so I wasn't really a fan of 1980's figures being remade with a few more joints and hardly anything new.

I'd likely have liked the reverse better newer characters in vintage 1980's style.

Looking around now - there is nothing around at the moment that is attracting me much - I have taken to picking up the odd Hotwheels car if it's interesting enough but not regularly so the only other current thing I'm collecting really that isn't Transformers related is Eaglemoss Star Trek Starships.

I like vehicles but there isn't really such a thing as Action Vehicle lines anymore that interest me. also little in the way of creature action figures either shows up - I guess I could buy a bit more Aliens stuff if I wanted too.

But is a shame that the 1980's & 1990's trend for action vehicles seems to be a bit thin on the ground these days.

• Like Like x 2
  8. NotRamjet97

NotRamjet97 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I've tried dabbling in a few other things, though Transformers usually sticks. However...

My GOSH these things. I honestly wasn't that impressed with Lucina from Fire Emblem (which I like a lot more than SAO. Like, a lot more), but I got the original Asuna and my word she is just sublime. I then thought "Okay, Asuna's the only one", but then they go and release Leafa who probably has the best design in the show.

...which means I now need her, Yuuki, Sinon, SAOII Asuna to go with them (even though the figure doesn't look all that good in the articulation department), and (dare I dream) Argo.

..and that's just SAO, and not factoring in Phoenix Wright and F!Corrin.

9. Venixion

Venixion Its always the middle of the night in Moonside

News Credits:
    I'm not entirely sure I understand the question but, my TF collection moves a lot more slowly then my model horse, Skylanders and MLP collection. It moves faster then my Mega Man and Amiibos collection.

We all get collection burn out, or pretty much slow our collecting to a crawl when we've got most/all of what we want.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  10. WishfulThinking

WishfulThinking The world has moved on...we've always said.

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Collection...burn...out...

What's that? :p 

• Like Like x 1
  11. Bigdaddymcqueen

CONGRATS ON THE LITTLE ONE! FUTURE COLLECTOR???

That's what I believe happen, I just got bored/Burnt with collecting certain lines.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Bigdaddymcqueen

Agree with your opinion. Nowadays nothing really catches my eye. I've been collecting Dragons since my younger days. They have always been around as well as the Transformers. Maybe I'm finally realizing what is right for me?? lol

13. slochmoeller

slochmoeller Well-Known Member

I had, (technically still have but it's damaged) RID01 prime, but skipped ultra mags at the time. Kinda regret that. I also regret that the planned reissue of Fire Convoy was cancelled.

I really wish they'd make a new "Optimus Prime as fire truck" design, as I think it suits the character.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Vanessa

Vanessa G1 Bonecrusher's #1 fangirl

Hey, another Skylanders collector!
    I must admit I probably spent over £1000 (easily) on Skylanders, and I have some rare ones. But they don't seem to hold their value like Transformers do.
    I don't collect them any more, and they are all in a big box in the loft, except my favourites: Cynder, Drill Sergeant and Sprocket.

• Like Like x 1
  15. IgnikaMarcus

IgnikaMarcus Scale Charts are pointless.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Considering the last fire truck Optimus we got was Cybertron leader Prime 10 years ago, I'd say it's high time for a new one.

• Like Like x 1
  16. MatrixOfWumbo

MatrixOfWumbo I see you

News Credits:
    I stopped collecting briefly around the time between Prime Season 3 and when all you could find on shelves were Age of Extinction 1-Steps. My last thing I searched for was Prime Soundwave (and that was probably what broke my interest in hunting stores), but I somehow got Wheeljack in that span, and I retail-therapied myself a Predaking later on. But in that span of time I missed Masterpiece Soundwave, so now I'm not certain I can afford to be a non active member of the community. I jumped back in when I saw Vangelus' review of Combiner Wars Alpha Bravo on my YouTube homepage.

My biggest collection aside from Transformers (which I bought growing up since late Energon) is my BIONICLE collection. I have ay least one thing from every line in the last 6 years of G1 Bionicle, and I got all 6 of more series than I would probably advise my younger self. Lego kind of outgrew me rather than the other way around, now being rather beyond my budget.

I buy Marvel Legends and Black Series, but I don't really collect. Just a handful of characters I like. And I own precisely two Gunplas. I've never seen a frame of the shows.

• Like Like x 1
  17. slochmoeller

slochmoeller Well-Known Member

To be super technical, Animated Optimus was a fire truck, but since the toys didn't include the trailer that didn't really come across well in toy form.

18. Tenebre

Tenebre Sharkticon

I'm trying to whittle my collecting down. Been spending way too much money in recent years. At some point, I see myself only collecting TFs.

I used to be all in on the Star Wars 3.75" line. That's how I started collecting in the late 90s, with POTF2 figures and Beast Wars. But Hasbro's cost-cutting in recent years (5 POA, bad paint apps) has soured me on the line. And with Disney releasing at least one movie a year, we're just not going to get the breadth of characters we've seen in the past with the OT, PT and Clone Wars, which was why I loved the line: recreating scenes from the movies, all the cool background aliens. I tried to get into the 6" line, but didn't feel like starting over in a new scale, and the QC issues that were present in the 3.75" line were there too.

I used to collect Playmates TMNT figures, but other than the IDW comic, I just don't have the passion for that franchise now either. I also collected Marvel Universe 3.75" figures and even G.I. Joe figures for a while, mostly just because they were in the same scale as Star Wars, but dropped those as well.

Right now, the only non-TF stuff I'm actively collecting:

Movie-based figures, but very selective. No sixth-scale figures. I dabbled in Hot Toys for a minute, and their stuff is gorgeous, but just too darn expensive. No "Re-Action" figures; I just don't get the nostalgia for crappy 5 POA figures. Only 7" scale figures and 8" Mego-style figures. NECA figures of the "big 4" of 80s sci-fi/action flicks: Aliens, Predator, Terminator, Robocop. NECA horror figures, especially anything Freddy Krueger or Jason Voorhees. I'm a huge Ghostbusters fan, so I'm all in the Diamond Select GB figures.

World of Nintendo Super Mario figures. No interest in any of the non-Mario stuff. I think this line is winding down though, so I expect I'll consider this collection done pretty soon, and I have most of the main characters now anyway.

Diecast cars. This was a hobby I just kind of fell into. I never had much interest in diecast cars as a kid, as I was more of an action figure guy, but with my interest in non-TF action figures waning, I picked up a Dracula Mater from the Disney-Pixar Cars line on a whim, just because I thought it looked cool. It just sort of snowballed from there, and now I'm collecting Disney-Pixar Cars, Hot Wheels, and a little Matchbox. They're cheap, but still look good, and fun to collect.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Driskull98

Driskull98 Evil is as evil do.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Handle):
    Tumblr:
    From now on, I'm pretty much sticking to new stuff only. Not gonna bother hunting down older figures anymore. And even then, I'm not even interested in Transformers that much anymore. Much more into kaiju stuff like Godzilla and Ultraman.

20. NemiMonkey

NemiMonkey Sad Derpfester Noises

News Credits:
    Been into TF's since late G1 and in that time I think I only took one major break. That was about half way through Armada. Didn't honestly start collecting seriously until the SDCC exclusives were announced around the time of Universe 2.0. Yeah I bought a figure or two but a lot of the time it was just wandering past the TF aisle to the Lego section or something else. I did keep an eye on boards and whatnot, but I think it was more lurking rather then posting.

As far as other hobbies, yeah I've had quite a few over the past 2 decades or so. Used to be really into MTG but these newer series I just couldn't get into. Hot Wheels was a nice cheap hobby, but all the hard to finds and then crappy QC just put me off the whole thing. Right now though Mega Bloks minifigs have been sucking up quite a bit of change. I just adore the Halo super articulated figs. Those fucking Minions. Good lord I went nuts getting those. Distribution on those though screw it. Not paying $15 a fig on ebay for those just because they never popped up in the US. OH and Glyos has recently caught my eye. Mostly sticking with the Crayboths, but every now and then I see an Armorvore or whatever that catches my eye.

Yeah back when I actually played the whole blind pack thing got to be a friggin headache. Cousins would have some pretty good pulls with 5 packs and then I'd end up with tons of dups. I remember the goblin infestation got pretty bad that I just started doing custom cards.