Are You Disappointed With Big Toy Companies?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by PikaManiac, Feb 12, 2018.

1. WarInTheFloor

WarInTheFloor Well-Known Member

I was just playing with him this weekend and wondering how that slipped by in TR where most articulation is pretty good.

2. kaijuguy19

kaijuguy19 Keyblade Wielder

News Credits:
    I think it depends on what company we're talking about. Truth be told I think Hasbro's doing a good job on making sure to give us the best products they can.

• Like Like x 2
  3. doomtron

doomtron seeker

News Credits:
    Yes Hasbro had me with cw and tr but potp has me buying mostly 3p this year

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
  4. kaijuguy19

kaijuguy19 Keyblade Wielder

News Credits:
    It was only AOE Strafe,Snarl,Slog and Slash that have the curling iron arms. AOE Grimlock,Slug and Scorn don't actually have that going on since in Grimlock's case he has wrist swivels. Also scale has been wonky in Transformers since the very beginning.

5. pilot00

pilot00 Well-Known Member

Therein lies the problem or one of them. It has come to my attention recently that whatever we are discussing these days has to be done for kids: Kids toys,kids shows, kids kids kids. People may not like, they might in fact despise it (if certain threads are an indication) but consider this: The fandom that has grown with this brand, is the people who are generating revenue right now. Yeah we will buy our kids those awefull three step changers, but frankly If I had kids, I would continue to buy myself the more expensive stuff that include 3p options in there, rather than waste money on awefull toys. My kids can play with a better toy suited for their age from another brand. They can jump to my collection later when they grow up a bit. TLDR: The company must make a decision regarding the franchise: If they want it to become a permanent kids company or to invest in quality product. If they decide the latter they have to include 3p and Kos into the equation, like it or not.

Huge flaws with their decisions and the design of their product as well as the way they engineer it. I understand that gimmicks are part of the fun, but in no way a gimmick should interefere with the design of a figure and flaw it.

And after all this, we should all take a minute and examine also what is our fault. Yes ours. In every thread in this forum you will see those so called apologists (I am using the term not to insult anyone but as a convinience). No matter what the mistakes of Hasbro and Takara are, they find an excuse, even if it doesnt make absolutely 0 sense (example: Hasbro doesnt take 3p into account because they dont affect them....), every figure is perfect and so on...

Guys seriously, we all love this brand, but if everything is beyond critisism, if every figure is 'perfect' and we dont point out its flaws, then the designers wont find an incentive for bettering the product. It will stagnate, because the mentality will be: "They will be happy with whatever". Then we will be dissapointed and there you lose people like me and others, to other companies. And when this grows it becomes problematic.

We are dissapointed not because we hate the company, but because it grows ever more complacent and that shows on its designs and decisions.

My :2c: 

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
    • Like Like x 7
  6. Nemesis Otaku

Nemesis Otaku I love both Nemesis Prime and Anime!

That's what I think as well.

The thing that confuses me is how people always compare 3rd party to Hasbro, yet they're two different markets. Most 3rd party companies produce MP styled products, while Hasbro creates toys for kids and collectors. However, that's only one 1 out of 2 major differences between the two: the price. Most 3rd party companies sell their products at ridiculous prices, while Hasbro sells them for a price that most people can afford.

A student at college can buy a Voyager Grimlock for $30 , but I doubt they can squeeze $200 dollars in to buy a 3rd party version. A kid can spend their allowance on a Bumblebee for $15, but won't be able to buy an MP that costs $60. It drives me mad with how many people compare Hasbro and 3rd companies when evaluating products. Hasbro produces TOYS, which can be played with regarding all ages. Takara and 3rd party make MPs, made specifically for adult collectors.

Granted, there are exceptions for Hasbro, Takara, and 3rd party, but I'm speaking by what they're generally known producing.

The way I see it, there's no reason to throw a huge fit when seeing Abominus from POTP, and then bashing it by using 3rd party products as the comparison. Tell me, how much does it cost to buy the POTP Terrorcons, compared to how much a 3P Abominus would cost.

I am completely satisfied with what Hasbro's coming out with, as it's all of the following: fun, a reasonable amount, and a nice way to collect your favorite characters without buying an $100-$220 MP version.

Please realize that this is my opinion, and that I don't intend to start an argument. I only wanted to share my thoughts on the subject. :) 

• Like Like x 4
  7. pilot00

Plenty of companies that produce chug: Ironfactory & Mechfans toys are two that spring to mind without thinking about it. And their prices are reasonable, to the point of producing a better a product than the official (at least aesthetics wise, I have none in hand). So dont take this as a contention, but your logic is a little bit flawed :) 

EDIT: You also miss a point raised before: That TFs are not (yet) a kid only thing and ironically the largest margine of income doesnt come from kids but adault collectors. Hasbro needs to decide though where they are headed soon, because apparently they wont be able to compete in both.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Nemesis Otaku

Nemesis Otaku I love both Nemesis Prime and Anime!

Ah, I knew that there were some 3P CHUG figures, but I thought there were only a few. The only company that I knew didn't make MPs was Iron Factory. Thanks for the information, now I can say that I learned something new today!

9. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 Oh no he's got to go! go go my budget!

News Credits:
    all I am going to say is do not blame the designers for the toys for this, blame the accountants and the stockholders looking for ever higher returns instead of being satisfied with solid consistent profits.

Also keep in mind that 3rd party companies operate very differently in target market and scale of production than the big companies so do not try to compare them.

• Like Like x 9
  10. pilot00

Truth in that.

• Like Like x 5
  11. pilot00

Np :)  If I put my mind to it, I am sure I can remember some more. Lets see: Magic square I saw some the other day (dont know if they released anything yet), SXS and pocket toys. Sure there must be more, but those spring to my mind. I Am not a CHUG guy though, so perhaps others can tell you more if you are interested.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Kotori Sonoda

Kotori Sonoda Yohane's Little Demon

News Credits:
    Black Lizard Planet (actually the Philippines)
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Honestly? With POTP already underway and Studio series coming soon, No, I'm not disappointed. In fact my wallet is gonna hurt hard this year...

Maybe it's because I have low standards, maybe it's because I wasn't there during the "glory days". but the only toy I have in my collection I can honestly say is crap is PRID Airachnid.

• Like Like x 3
  13. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 Oh no he's got to go! go go my budget!

News Credits:
    -takes a bow-

• Like Like x 3
  14. Venixion

Venixion Member of the notorious Pew-Pew Posse

News Credits:

I meant toy companies in general.

15. bman

bman Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The blame is not just on Hasbro, but on the fanboys who encouraged this bad behaviour by justifying Hasbro's bad behaviour.

• Like Like x 2
  16. PikaManiac

PikaManiac Well-Known Member

I wanted to Post this Thread in The Toyark, but it would get lost. This is neither a Hasbro nor Transformers problem, but big toy companies in general.

Bandai Of America applies the bare minimum paint applications on their toys. They stopped using the Japanese moulds for the Power Rangers' Megazords back in the year 2009 because it was too expensive. However, not only the quality of toys have dropped, but the prices are not any cheaper. A 5 inch action figure costs $27.99 in my country...

Hasbro, all the non-collector Marvel toys look like bootlegs, Star Wars action figures have 5 points of articulation, and Transformers is using stickers.

Mattel, when was the last time they made a proper Batmobile for a main line? I purchased a Batmobile in the year 2005, and the plastic used feels like I could tear it apart like paper if I wanted to. The packaging and quality of the current Justice League toy line also look like cheap bootlegs.

Or maybe I am just old and grumpy...

• Like Like x 1
  17. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Nobody defeats the DEVASTATOR!

What bugs me from Hasbro is all the black un painted wheels. I bought a silver sharpie 10 years ago to paint them, still using the same one. Cost me less the $2. If I can do that, why can't Hasbro just paint the things like Takara does.

18. T-Hybrid

T-Hybrid Optimal Opthanos

News Credits:
    Are we watching the same toy lines?

19. Metalwario64

Metalwario64 City Commander

When Hasbro started added extra plastic in the hips of Marvel Legends which limited their outward range, I stopped buying them. That was completely stupid and ruined their Pizza Spider-Man which couldn't do the iconic crouching pose that they could do since the ToyBiz days.

20. Venixion

Venixion Member of the notorious Pew-Pew Posse

News Credits:

I already answered you.