Are you a victim of 'new toy syndrome'?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Cal, Oct 20, 2010.

1. Seeker Lord

Seeker Lord Well-Known Member

Yes, you think the gimmick is cool but a few rounds of WTF it's in the junk box.

2. thenatureboywoo

thenatureboywoo Veteran

News Credits:
    I don't really have this problem. I have to transform a toy quite a few times and mess around with it to see what it can do before I pass judgement on it.

3. SydneyY

SydneyY @syd_tfw Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I must say I don't get very excited over a new toy very often. It's mainly because I get to see many pictures of one before I have them in hand nowadays. It'd be different if I find new toys at retail, but it hasn't happened much lately :(  I like to impulse buy sometimes even if the excitement might not last very long.
    Last time I was ecstatic over a new toy was Recon Ironhide, and I still like him a lot :D 

4. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

I think for me it's because Hasbro keeps making the figures slightly better.

When Classics Starscream came out it was the greatest toy ever. It looked like Starscream and he seemed a bit better than the Cybertron toys that were still on the shelf at the time.

But then as the Classics style kept getting better over the years and Animated showed you could put personality into a Starscream figure my old Classic Starscream started losing that charm he had when the only thing to compare him to was older figures.

There are some figures that remain timeless in the collection, but as the figures keep getting better and better I can't help but to hope one day some of the older Classics figures get a new update.

5. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

Um, maybe my Bay movie figures. But all my G1 and G1 related figures are a pleasure to have forever and ever.

6. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Sometimes I don't pick up a figure, even if I thought it was cool, and later get it and realise what I was missing.

7. wildfly

wildfly Fermenting pork tube.

News Credits:
    Sort of......

...a lot of toys i don't even bother opening these days. When i do, even the better ones, i'm usually bored with after 15 minutes.

Only exception this year has been Leader Starscream.

8. Cornholiocon

Cornholiocon Up the irons!

I'd have to say it was the WFC Optimus Prime.
    As a G1 collector, this was a rare buy for me but I was really stoked about him. I initially liked his detailing and flexibility but gradually started to hate how complex his transformation was and how small his head is. I finally decided to get rid of him and just stick with G1.

9. Blackout32

Blackout32 ANTHRAX - PERSISTENCE OF TIME

Cybertron The Matrix of leadership knowledge,power
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Well I'd have to say WFC Megatron cause I really like that figure and now really wanna finish the WHOLE series plus then some on TF's I've seen and now really want.

10. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    I used to be. Not so much now.

11. MidnightBliss

MidnightBliss Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think I have become a huge victim of this. I get a new transformer and I a instantly seeking the next one. I have decided to take a small break from buying Transformers. I don't want to get bored with them. At least until more Classics characters are released. :lol 

I have moved to collecting Disney/Pixar Cars. Addictive little creatures they are.

12. Sizzle

Sizzle Sparkabot

I think the sudden glut of Generations figures is causing this for me to some small degree. There are just SO many figures coming in right now that I don't really have a lot of time for each one to be NEW. They're new for a week or two and then in comes the next new one. Right now, I'm hanging on to Drift and Thrust's newness, but Dirge, Red Alert and Ghost Starscream are on their way to my mailbox now, so they'll be taking the primo spots for now.

Still...with CHUG, I don't think I'll ever DISLIKE any of them.

13. Sizzle

Sizzle Sparkabot

Yes, they certainly are.

14. E. C. R. Former

E. C. R. Former Is probably insane...

I think every toy collector has this syndrome. Every time I buy something new, it pretty much becomes my favorite toy or figure for the next several weeks. Then, either the novelty wears off or something new comes along and the figure goes on the shelf where it stays until I need it for my comic. For some figures, the novelty takes quite a while to wear off, like my most recent purchase, Generations Soundwave. Some times, it wears off in a matter of days like my Darkmount. I kinda grew bored of Straxus rather quickly. That said, its very rare when I come to regret a purchase.

15. silenth

silenth Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yes. Case in point, wfc soundwave.

16. Tyjos

Tyjos Just another Collector

Twitter:
    This has struck me all the time...I call it The "Hype Trap" instead of New Toy Syndrome....

it was the Explorer and Munitioner set for me....didn't really seem to be that great a week after I got it on my birthday.

17. Kaymac

Kaymac I'M REALLY FEELIN' IT!

I get this way sometimes. I got this way with WFC Optimus, but in an instant I went back to play with Drift. XD
    Optimus is just too hard to Transform in a flash, Drift is just right. :D