Are you a victim of 'new toy syndrome'?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Cal, Oct 20, 2010.

1. Cal

Cal Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    You know what I'm talking about. You buy a new Transformer, you're convinced it's the most amazing toy ever, then later on the novelty wears off and you realize it's not all it's cracked up to be. I know there are a lot of Transformers that have remained cherished possessions, but others have not done so well with the passing of time. What's yours?

For me, one figure I can name is my first Classics figure: Mirage. I was simply blown away by his level of articulation, which reminded me of a childhood favourite, G2 Smokescreen. Both his modes are aesthetically pleasing, but after a while... I just kinda lost interest in playing with him. I think the problem is that he's too flimsy. There's little satsfaction to be drawn from what feels like a stick figure, and his inanimate crossbow weapon doesn't do anything for me. While Mirage remains the reason I got back into the Transformers franchise, others have continued my interest.

2. BreakY

BreakY Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Hmmm... yeah, I get this off and on. I was feeling it with the recent Generations Thrust, Hailstorm, and Straxus, but it ended up growing on me.

I can say for sure that the Scouts I got recently aren't as cracked up as they used to be. They are Brimstone, Hubcap and Firetrap. I swear Firetrap looked like the real representation of G1-to-Movie Brawn, but once I got him and played with him for a bit, I lost interest quick. His head is a bit bulbous for my liking.

Windcharger is looking pretty sweet.

3. [Wing_Saber-X]

[Wing_Saber-X] BATTLE GAIA!

News Credits:
    Yeah IMHO it happens to even the best of us...:( 
    But on the bright side, the fact that there are many more intersting figures out there makes replacing them a non-issue really! :lol 

4. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    I'm a big victim! I'd go as far as saying every toy I get I'm completely excited for, but within days it wears off and it goes on the shelf. I don't think it's a bad thing because after awhile I always end up going back to the toys, but there's a period where I completely forget about it.

5. eagc7

eagc7 TF Movies Fan/Supporter

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    when i fidn a new toy i want to buy it right away but sadly moeny is duh problem :p 

6. bignick1693

bignick1693 Maximal

News Credits:
    No. Only recent toy I got was tfa roddy and can't let go of him for these past 2 months (I think it's been 2 months)

7. Renidragon

Renidragon Toys on my table!

Definitely a victim. Certainly not a sufferer, though! Old toys get put aside for new ones, but some of the old ones still come back to the desk and get played with. :) 

8. Cal

Cal Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ha ha, I feel the same way about Challenge at Cybertron Cyclonus. He is the complete opposite of this topic and one of my favourite TF toys ever. Why couldn't Galvatron be this good?

9. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    It happens to pretty much everyone in varying degrees at one time or another. It's enough of a sign that almost any "Top Ten (insert whatever here) OF ALL TIME!!" lists you see have at least three or four things from the last year or two.

10. oxidative

oxidative last chance to evacuate

I had this problem with most of the Energon toys. I look back at them and think, "what was I thinking???" Hopefully the same doesn't happen with CHUG, they're too awesome to ever lose interest in :lol 

11. Brainchild

Brainchild Dark Flame Master

There are a few like that. It happens when we get new content piled on us continuously. That's why reruns on TV are so boring. No matter how much you liked the old stuff, newer, sparklier stuff is constantly coming, looking better than what you have.

12. spamo123

spamo123 Artist. Contact me.

I sometimes have the opposite problem. I open a new toy and play with him a bit, all the while thinking to myself what a crummy piece of junk it is. I shouldn't have wasted money on this garbage. But slowly, I grow to like them and even like them better than other figs that I like straight of the bat. Classics Rodimus and Generation Drift took me quite a while to like. Now they are among my faves.

13. NCStarscream

NCStarscream Me Grimlock cute

News Credits:
    It happens to me every once in a while, but not too often. My enthusiasm for most purchases wears off with time but not from epic excitement to hatred or anything. I typically do so much research on everything I buy beforehand that I know exactly what I'll be getting before I buy it. I suppose I'm most susceptible to the "syndrome" if I've gone a long time without getting something new - then anything at all seems that much more awesome.

14. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    happened to me with a lot of movie figs (whole first movie line) but classics, mps, alts, animated, and wst hasn't happened, so i guess i'll keep getting those

15. Jetbolt

Jetbolt Maximal Air Commander

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Flickr:
    Since the beast era ended, I've only been getting what I really liked only. So far I havent had a figure I wish I didnt get.

16. guard convoy

guard convoy The Big Daddy

News Credits:
    major victim, it is REALLY bad when the day after i get it in the mail something new comes in and i ignore the figure i just got :lol 

17. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Sorcerer

News Credits:
    Not very often. In fact, I ususally wait a few days before I contribute (or start) a review thread just to give myself time for any "Wow! New toy!" factor to wear off.

In fact, in recent years, I've had more, "This toy is better then I thought it would be!" then the disapointing type. This may be due to a change in buying habits, or just that I don't get many TF's anymore so I'm more picky and pay more attention to reviews/pictorals.

18. Magnus' Mate

Magnus' Mate Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This happened to me with the entire Henkei/Classics line. Suddenly realised that, besides a few exceptions, they were decidedly average and didn't hold a candle to original G1. So, sold them all!!

19. guard convoy

guard convoy The Big Daddy

News Credits:
    now i am the opposite of this, i use to want g1 figures badly, but thanks to the classics line, which to me are all awesome and will be the last figures i will ever part with, i really have no urge to buy g1 figures that have classics updates, i would rather have a fun, posable figure than a brick

20. Human Beastbox

Human Beastbox The Murdinator

News Credits:
    I only kind of feel this way.

If anything, the only time I have any unfulfilled desire of the new figures is that I sometimes wish that the Autobot car figures had rubber or rubber-like wheels. I also wish that they always came with guns. For instance, Uni. Prowl, Silverstreak, Sideswipe and Sunstreaker all came with guns. Uni. Hound came with the shoulder mount, but no pistol or anything. The Ravage was an awesome bonus, but still.

I know that sounds a bit petty, but one thing the glorious G1 bricks of old always had was plenty of is accessories. I must admit that with the new Generations they're getting better on that front. I mean, Blurr not only came with the awesome big-ass rifle, but TWO guns as well. :thumbs2: