Are you A KO/bootleg lover?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by convoymagnus, Jan 24, 2009.

1. convoymagnus

convoymagnus Yeshua Is Mashiach.

Ebay:
    Ok here we go again, every time someone opens a thread about Kos it turns into an endless war of morality and people stating if this is good or wrong but this thread is STRICLTY for Ko lovers. So if you do not like Kos, please simply respect those who like them and do not start any fire about it.

Well I am a KO lover given the following circumstances:

1-They are of good quality,(like mirage, wheeljack and the dinobots)
    2-they supply a need of a figure you will never see reisued.
    3-they reach reasonable prices.

what do you love in KOs?

2. Solscud007

Solscud007 Banned

News Credits:
    I am an avid KO fan. However I agree. Just like collecting anything there are opinions and personal taste that comes into play.

For me I collect stuff that is never made by Hasbro/Takara OR something I dont want to spend ridiculous amounts of money for. Here are some examples.

1. The "Uber KO". This classifictaion would be the G1 primes, cassettes, wheeljack, cyclonus etc.

However I only go for the toys that Hasbro/Takara havent made. Like transparent Prime, Clear mirage etc. I got wheeljack cause my only options are expensive Originals or crappy junkers. If Hasbro/Takara reissued it then I would get it. So in that same vein I did NOT buy the KO Metroplex nor KO G1 Prime

2: Homage KO. This would be things like my Micro Change Cassette Man from Shiantai, Taiwan. Original MC Cassette Man is too expensive.

3. Oddball. This would be things that again, hasbro nor takara has ever made. Things like WST black prime, WST clear prime, WST Battle Convoy etc. My Medium sized Fort Max and smaller Scorponok are good examples of oddball. My Gold Chrome Snaptrap.

I prefer KO of GOOD QUALITY. who doesnt. however this isnt always the case. Like "Uranus 5 change" the chromedome sized Headmaster ver of Fort Max. It is very fragile but no other version exists of better quality.

I like the Uber KO the most. However i think they could have avoided a LOT of hassle if they didnt come in such nice boxes. But lets think about "what if . . ." If the bootleggers had NOT sold these Uber KO in G1 boxes. everyone would probably be getting them and then try to hunt dow G1 boxes to complete them anyway. at least I would.

I cant criticize a bootlegger for "going for gold" and making a truly quality product when hasbro/takara doesnt. As long as one buys these as homages to the G1 then that is fine. If someone is thinking of passing them off as the Real THING then we have a problem. Yes they are good. but they have thier place. You should be more concerned about people trying to pass them off as the real thing than the KO it self. Remember guns dont kill people. people do. sort of the same idea. far streched I know but hope it makes sense to you cause it does to me.

3. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    I like the G1 KOs for the reasons stated already. Mint originals are way too pricey and it doesn't look like we'll ever get reissues of some of these. So I'll gladly buy the KOs. A couple of the Dinobots I did manage to pick up mint originals plus reprolabels cheaper than the KOs, but not all. Sludge and Swoop are hard to find. Swoops have worn chrome and Sludges tend to be a floppy mess. I went with the KOs. Same with Wheeljack. No yellow, and not an arm and a leg. I'm holding off on Scourge and Cyclonus as I'm holding out hope on a reissue, plus these guys are not hard to find in good shape for less than the KOs.

4. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Nope, however I like some KOs for humorus reasons, like funny colored & construted Primes, over-sized Micromasters and Minicons and the Mini-Combiner sets. All stuff that HAS/TAK/TOM wouldn't release anyway.

5. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    Ill get a good K/O if the original stuff is too expensive or hard to find

6. Omnius

Omnius Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The only ones I like are the 'crazy' ones like oversized Kabaya Minibots with KOd Gundam heads, or the cheap KO Alts in different colours.

7. AMG

AMG Old School

I grab a KO here and there. But I won't spend top dollar for one.

8. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    I quite like the cheap weird ones or oversized versions.

9. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

Wow... this thread title makes me feel dirty. :) 

Yes, I am a KO lover. But not all KO's... just ones that bring something different to the table, especially low-cost oversized or recoloured versions of figures that I wish were bigger, or cheap KO versions of asian super-robots that normally I wouldn't even know exist, or would be impossible to find.

For me it's all about the novelty and affordability... so high-end G1 imitations and stuff like that really don't do anything for me. I think those are the only ones that moral quibbles might generally be applied to... and even so, I'm largely indifferent to that debate.

zmog

10. convoymagnus

convoymagnus Yeshua Is Mashiach.

Ebay:
    I agree, I have only thing Tak/Has do not release:

1-the black prime, as the jafcon is way too expensive for me now
    2-the regular mirage boxed as i do not think they will ever reissue an official one and i want to have one boxed one opened of every autobot car.
    3-the red mirage, as there will be NEVER a diaclone red mirage reissue, and the other option would have been painting one, but it is not the same thing.
    4-boxed wheeljack, for the same reasons as regular mirage.
    5-boxed gifset devastator, could not resist.
    6-Reflector, almost forgot about this, this is so cool and is a fraction of price than the vintage!
    7-----expecting the blue diaclone bluestreak -----:drool: 

I only like the high quality Kos, and also agree that you can't blame a KO maker for making them as good as the originals, and I also agree that we should be concerned with sellers that try to make tehm pass as originals, but we should also be cautios with this because what happened in ebay banning all the KOs is not good for one reason, there is people out there wanting them, but they are hard to find now so what the sellers do? increase the prices.

11. Gadep

Gadep Banned

News Credits:
    metrotitan.....

that was the first large KO i got...the first was black optimus prime...love those purple autobot stickers on the trailer!

Got the KO metroplex...then bought the encore one also....

I would be all over a mechabot-1 themed omega supreme if a KO company came out with that guy i would get like 10 of them...

12. Da_Last_2_Walk

Da_Last_2_Walk Da King Of Pre Rubs TFW2005 Supporter

I have no problem with KOs themselves.

My problem is with sellers that try to pass them off as originals on ebay, where KOs are not allowed to be sold.

13. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    I have a few KO's; Grimlock, Swoop, Kingdam Browning, & Raiden. I also have an Astro Magnum. With the exception of that one (I picked up a loose mint Shockwave a year or 2 back), all the KOs I own have one thing in common - I can't afford mint boxed originals. That's basically why I have them. For example, if Takara ever reissue the Dinobots my KOs will sit in a cupboard somewhere forever.
    I view them as placeholders until I am lucky enough to get the real thing.

14. Shin-Gouki

Shin-Gouki Rebuilding Veteran

News Credits:
    Originally: Huntington Beach, CA, Now: Cincinnati
    That says it all for me right there.

15. LEADERS_MATRIX

LEADERS_MATRIX Wisdom of the ages...

yea this is my thing charging 75-80 bucks for a fake and pasing it as the real thing.

16. Soundwave84

Soundwave84 Banned

News Credits:
    not a fan of the KO or the bootleg

17. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    They are like TF band-aids. You have an open spot in the old collections, so you drop a few dimes on ShackWave and there ya go.
    hell, i'd do that to have a shockwave in my collection.
    i saw a KO whirl in another thread that i really liked.

(never did like the baby blue look of Whirl.)

and if i had the money, i would love to have one of those monster combiners if only for a conversation piece.
    what idiot really would think it was a real TF????

if a dealer is honest and up front about what he is selling and both parties are okay with the issues concerning them, then go for it.

and a G1 Mirage would be nice...

18. ninety

ninety NERDS!!

News Credits:
    I love recoloured and oversized KO's (see below for samples :D )

I'm less keen on those that can be mistaken for the genuine article.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. blunghole

blunghole The Tapeworm of Unicron!

News Credits:
    Sometimes I'll get a KO simply because there is no way I can find and/or afford the original, Like Raiden and Liokaiser. Sometimes it's for the sheer cheesiness or something oddball, like the SEND THE BOOKS Energon Prime KO. And sometimes it's because the KO is clever, like Mr Hard Hat - which is, by the way, my current Holy Grail.

20. cryotek

cryotek Criminal Overlord

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I've got the G1 Mirage's. Still need the red/gold version. I want Bluestreak, Wheeljack, Sunstreaker, and Reflector. If it looks cool to me then I want it. The Mirage's sit in my display cabinet cause I like him!