Are you a different fan now than you were back then?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by 1984forever, Oct 4, 2012.

?

Are you a different fan now than you were back then?

Poll closed Oct 4, 2013.
  1. I'm still the same

12 vote(s)
    18.5%
  2. My tastes have changed completely.

16 vote(s)
    24.6%
  3. I've changed a little

33 vote(s)
    50.8%
  4. I only like Buzzsaw

4 vote(s)
    6.2%
  1. 1984forever

1984forever Banned

I dislike any character who didn't appear on season one of the G1 cartoon series. I have a few favorites outside of that year like Tracks, Smokescreen or the Coneheads, but for the most part I believe new characters outside of those early years are not as good as the original cast. Back when I was a kid I loved the '86 movie and all the character deaths. I even went so far as to put away the dead season 1&2 characters and never play with them again. The season 3&4 cast were cool and the old characters, especially the season 1 cast, were old and corny.

I don't like Autobot jets and Decepticon cars because they're not true to the way the factions were first set up in the beginning. With the exception of Skyfire, the Autobots were all cars and the Decepticons became jets or deceptive things like cassette tapes. But back then I loved the Aerialbots and any new Transformer Hasbro came up with regardless of alt mode. I hated the marvel comic because it was slow to introduce new characters then... looking back now, I believe the glut of new characters killed G1.

I had over a hundred G1 figures back then, but only Laserbeak and Rumble now. I prefer classics these days... G1 figures like Ironhide or Starscream are an embarrassment to me.

How about you? Have your tastes changed? Or are you still the same?

2. WreckNRule426

WreckNRule426 Autobot

I used to be kind more of a movie-only kind of person because it was all I was ever really exposed to. This place really kind of opened my eyes to the heritage and mythos of it all.

3. soundwaverulls

soundwaverulls Well-Known Member

I used to love Energon and ROTF. I am proud to say I've changed.

4. G1Prowl

G1Prowl Prick, apparently

My tastes have changed a little in the end. Starting out, I used to be rather intolerant of anything that wasn't G1, and was a bit merciless in my hatred of all the "pointy shit" that came out with the movie and afterwards. RID changed all that, and I learned that you are neither obligated to like every aspect of a franchise, nor are you required to be a completionist. First gen Pretenders? Will never set foot in my collection. Targetmasters where the gun's alt mode is basically a picture of a robot on the bottom of the gun? Nope. Now I'm selective as I experience new toys and media, but am still able to stand up and say I dislike certain things about a series, or a series as a whole.

5. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    The only major changes I've seen in what I like is warming up to the different illustrative aesthetics of both Animated and the movies. At first, I didn't like them, but they've grown on me after a while. They're still not my preference, though. I originally didn't like Pretender shells and Action Masters from G1, but I've come to really like them to the point that some of them are my favorite Transformers characters/toys.

Other than that, I've stayed basically the same.

6. Metroplex79

Metroplex79 Hey mouse, say cheese!

I've changed a little.

Compared to say...1993:
    -I've got a lot more money to spend on TFs
    -I'm no longer a "Geewuner" (though I enjoyed G2)
    -appreciates how great writers and voice actors can really bring up a series (looking at you Beast Wars :D  )
    -I've complained a lot less about the animation errors of G1

7. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    I think we're all different fans, if only because we've grown up/gotten older, and our lives outside of Transformers have changed, affecting how we view the franchise.

8. daitarn red

daitarn red bionic hero

I am still same

9. Girl Pants

Girl Pants aka brickonator

News Credits:
    I've taken a new focus on collecting, I'm going for fewer, but more high-end toys now over just getting lots of average toys. This is mostly possible because of the fact that I'm working now versus being a student/kid, and the internet has revealed lots of new cool things.

In the past, I'd pick up cool toys off the racks, mostly deluxes, with the odd larger one. Now I don't really collect the mainline (nothing against Prime) and just get toys that fit into specific collections I have going. My main collections are G2 Classics, Cassettes, WfC/FoC, and the movies. I still get the odd mainline toy if they're awesome (FE Bulkhead, the odd classics toy), but I don't stray from my mains much any more.

Overall, I'm just happier to have a smaller collection where I love each and every piece rather than a larger one with half of it just being clutter or in bins.

10. Strarf

Strarf Toy Battles Reloaded TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Yes. I used to like Transformers, now I don't.

11. TylerMirage

TylerMirage I vawnt my berdt.

News Credits:
    I've pretty much stayed the same, more or less. I've obviously gotten older, gotten a little wiser to some of the pitfalls of the franchise.

-I used to love it when character shouted names of their weapon attacks or shouted "_____, transform!". I thought that was so cool. Now it irks me to no end.
    -I used to view Beast Wars as "average". Then along came the UT and suddenly it's amazing. :lol 
    -As much as I like the franchise, I'm starting to become disillusioned with it. Not enough for me to actually do something about it, mind you. But just little things like collecting becoming a difficult chore rather than a relaxing hobby and witnessing the constant disappointment and complaining about virtually everything to do with the franchise.
    -Since I grew up with Beast Wars/Beast Machines, when RID came out it was quite the shock. I mean, Autobots? Vehicles? Where's Terrorsaur? Even at that young age I didn't like change. :lol  Then I quickly learned that change is something that I crave with the franchise.

And I'm not going to lie. Being an active part of this fandom has made me a much angrier person. I'll probably die 10 years earlier than I'm supposed to because of the stress from this place. Seriously. I hate most of you. :p 

Agreed.

:lol 

12. tusko

tusko Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Flickr:
    I still love the diecast weight, the rubber tires and poke-an-eye out missles. The model altmodes were fantastic to me in 1984. While I like all tfs with realistic alt-modes the classics line and the articulation/engineering in modern toys is amazing to me still. Love the comics too! Then and now!

13. Killamarshan

Killamarshan Iacon Tourist

Well the main thing that’s changed is that I now have money and a portal called the internet which lets me buy whatever I want from wherever I want. If the circumstances would have been different back in the mid 80s Swoop, Shockwave, Perceptor, Blaster, Sky Lynx and tens of other unavailable and desired figures would have been in my grasp.

I’ve been with the franchise from the beginning and the thing that’s got me through it is a liberal attitude to change – there has never been anything I flat out hate. Even the stuff I’m not particularly keen on, like Beast Machines and G2, I’m still able to pick bits and pieces out that I do like.

I suppose a change I could identify is that I’m now much choosier with what I buy, dictated by space and finances. When I first had disposable income I couldn’t spend my money fast enough.

14. Sideways77

Sideways77 oh shoogah

News Credits:
    I've changed

First: ERMAHGERD ROTF WUS TEH BEST THING EVAH

Then: ERMAHGERD ANIMATED IS TEH BEST TING EVAH

Then: ERMAHGERD TFP IS TEH BEST THING EVAH!

Now: Well, TFP is highly overrated and not as good as everyone says. The movies are still okay, but I can see its flaws.

15. Driftx3

Driftx3 lord of all things robot

News Credits:
    I'm still an opinionated prick with a love of generation 1. But my collection has grown to well over 2000 figures now.

So I suppose all that has changed is how vast the collection is now...

16. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

I think my preferences from 1984-'86 still largely inform who I am now as a fan. A deep nostalgic attachment to those early years of G1 are the foundation of my attachment to this property.

I still buy new stuff and appreciate it when new series do good, interesting work, but deep down it's all about G1. Most of the things I love and hate now are the things I loved and hated back then at age 9 or 10.

In some ways, maybe I've become a little less of a purist. Back then I hated the '86 movie characters, Pretenders, Fembots, etc. I'm slightly more tolerant of those things now. ;) 

zmog

17. Meta777

Meta777 Dr Pepper Fan

I started with Beast Wars, but then I missed out on it's sequel, as well the Cybertron trilogy and RiD. Despite my fond memories of Beast Wars, I fell out of Transformers, focusing more on newer passions, including Pokemon.

Eventually, the first Movie came out, and I was taken back into the franchise with giant alien robots on the big screen. Animated, the movie sequels, the video games and Prime kept me here ever since :D 

I'd say my view hasn't changed much, really, lacking the age and experience of most of you lot. But I've remained optimistic, profusely enjoying the new aspects of the franchise, despite the flaws they may have. I eagerly await the fourth movie, whatever third game High Moon spouts out, the finale of Prime and all that will come after.

'Tis better to be an Optimist Prime, after all, not a Negatron.

18. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    Mostly the same. I still prefer s3 of G1 over everything else. But I opened up a bit and I try to watch every Transformers show.

So far I have seen:
    G1
    Beast Wars
    Beast Machines
    Armada
    Energon
    Robots in Disguise
    Animated
    Prime

My favourite media right now are the MTMTE comics by IDW and I collect G1 legends and Classics/Generations-styled toys. What I love about the Classics toys is, that they are exactly like I wished the toys should have been when I was a kid. So glad to have the opportunity to get my favourite characters like I always wanted them to be!

19. Rewind Eject

Rewind Eject Well-Known Member

The only really noticeable difference is that I was born into Beast Wars but I now prefer vehicle modes.

However, there is one other big one. Growing up, I remember cringing at certain moments of the original '84 cartoon's campiness. The same followed for certain parts of Robots in disguise and even certain parts of the Unicron trilogy. Now though, the parts that I thought are bad are still just as bad to me, it just doesn't bug me as much. I can look past those parts and see what I do like such as Devastator, RiD Scourge, or various A/E/C characters from Armada Starscream to Cybertron Scourge. All of the shows have had their weaknesses, but I can now proudly say I'm a fan of BW, G1, RID, A/E/C, the movies, Animated, and now Prime. Basically as I got older, I became more patient and tolerant of the flaws in the various series and instead focused on what they did right.

Now you're a real Transformers Fan! :D 

20. ABH1979

ABH1979 Anonymous Bucket Head Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

Twitter:
    Pinterest:
    Eh, I don't think I've changed that much. The G1 cartoon (all of it) is still my favorite version of the mythos.

I'm always willing to try any new TF series; but I still don't care for the Beast Series and the Bay Movies. I am watching Prime, and while a good show, the main draw for me is Welker's Megatron. I'm also watching the re-runs of TFA, and I enjoy it for what it is. Luckily for me, IDW is doing great things with "More Than Meets the Eye" and Robots In Disguise" -- IMO, the greatest, modern version of the Transformers.