Are we spoiled?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Steevy Maximus, Aug 21, 2006.

1. Steevy Maximus

Steevy Maximus Movie Megs eats your soul

News Credits:
    A year or so back (before the big server change, or both of them, I can't remember), I posted a thread asking "were we, fans, being spoiled?" At the time, we were just just wrapping with Energon, now, we have Titanium, Classics, a new run of reissues possible, and a FREAKIN LIVE ACTION MOVIE ALMOST DONE!

Me? I think we are DAMNED spoiled. While criticisms and complaints are nothing new (this IS a fandom after all), as of late, it seems to have reached a crescendo I've not seen since....well, I wasn't here for Beast Machines so I'm sure that would be it.

But is a lot of this warranted? Sure, a LOT don't like the movie's direction, but what about all the other products geared to the G1 fans?
    There are Titaniums, the much demaned return to diecast
    There are still Alternators out there, the high end G1 redux
    Cybertron is still out, featuring some of the funnest toys of the brand.
    Classics is coming, featuring cheaper G1 reduxes with a more variety in Alt modes, not to mention haveing:
    the first new Bumblebee toy since 1995 (first new mold since 1989)
    first TRex Grimlock since 1993 (first new mold since 1989)
    first classic style Mirage since 1984 (first new mold since 1997)
    first retro-style Jetfire since 1985
    first new Astrotrain since 1984
    First (and probably last) Megatron to feature a gun mode since 1984.
    Plus we have a Soundwave/blaster reissue coming, which likely means we'll see a few more before all is said and done.
    Despite the focus of the film, current indications are a LOT of G1 themed products are due.

Aside from STar Wars, NO fandom has it this good:
    GI Joe's 3.75 fanbase is all but dead with only a handful of products coming this year or next. They currently have their "Beast Wars" in Sigma Six
    Masters of the Universe is left with nothing but statues and a few DVDs
    Lord of the Rings have burned out
    TMNT fans are pretty much limited to whatever the mainline releases are.
    And retail handling of comic lines have barely gone beyond 1 or 2 lines (not counting the collector oriented venues)

So, Your thoughts?

2. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    Another thing that we get that I've never seen in a fandom before is VERY IMPRESSIVE AND WILLING CORRESPONDENCE with the company producing our product, Hasbro.

The one other fandom I know well - Star Trek - has a lot of trouble getting its voice heard. The way those folks badmouth Paramount and its executives for not listening to them is really scary, sometimes. It's awfully cool - in my opinion - that Hasbro accepts feedback and input from the Transformers community instead of just shunning them regularly, like the Paramount Trek production team did during the Berman & Braga years.

3. King Starscream

King Starscream <b><font color=blue>The Royal Seeker</font></b> Veteran

News Credits:
    We're spoiled. When we have a magnificent toys that are great homages to classic toys we came to grow and love, a live action movie WITH a producer that seems to listen to us (though not with some flak on his part), a cartoon series every year and a half, and not to mention the official as well as some well done fan conventions, all we do is . . . . BITCH!!!Bitch over little things like the 'smokestacks are too small' or the jet mode is 'too realistic' or the best of them all: 'It's not G1.' Yeah, I'd say we're spoiled rotten.

4. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
    I'm not spoiled.

What I dread is newbie TF collectors and scalpers post-movie release that make the toys and movie merchandise scarce and overpriced in the secondary markets. I want me some new TF t-shirts badly, and I do not wish to fight off newbie fans to get them. They are not yet worthy of wearing the mantle.

5. JaviSRK

JaviSRK Push my button.

News Credits:
    spoiled.

there's one set of the fandom - borderline; original G1 fans who are dissing at every opportunity at the new TF movie due to Bumblebee being a camaro, Optimus having flames, etc.

there's another set of the fandom who's like "Primus is alright, but I'll wait for him to go on clearance". Yet some of them bitch when he doesn't go on clearance in some areas, and finally sells out.

there's yet another set (in which i've seen an example of recently) that stated something like this: "MP Starscream is not in his show colors? Blasphemy! I've cancelled my preorder because the color sucks!"

So yeah, we as a fandom are spoiled, but many for different reasons.

6. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    ...then times'll be tough for ya, because there will, inevitably, be a rise in sales and interest in the Transformers film once it's released. And, inevitably, people will want merchandise from the film. If you want the product, stand in line, newb or not.

7. funkatron101

funkatron101 TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    How can we be spoiled for paying for a product that a company produces with the intent of making a profit? We are not spoiled, if they came out with uninteresting toys, then we wouldn't buy them. Simple as that. To think that they are spoiling us is silly. We pay for the damn things, they aren't giving them away.

8. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    If Hasbro started giving us the toys for free, then I'd feel spoiled. With prices as they are, I don't feel spoiled.

If you mean are we spoiled as in getting too much good stuff to buy, then I'd still say no, it's just good business for them to cater to our needs and wants.

9. Steevy Maximus

News Credits:
    That is probably one of THE most disturbing elements I've seen crop up in many fandoms over the years, be it Star Wars, GI Joe, or Transformers. People too cheap to pay full price for an item they want, yet complain when Hasbro stops making high end items due to lack of interest.

That isn't to say sometimes we don't have the choice in the matter (for example, I probably won't get Primus until clearance because I simply don't have the money, and he is not a priority like Classics which I WILL be paying over retail to get as soon as possible)

10. Steevy Maximus

News Credits:
    Because Hasbro has no real reason to cater to us. They have no reason to have made classics when they could have (far cheaply) repainted any one of dozens of older toys to fill the gap. They have no real reason to make a WWI Prime figure (be it 3" or 6").

What do you mean about the prices? Now a days, Transformers are started to edge towards the CHEAPER end of the toy scales! The $10 and $20 pricepoints have been in effect since 1996, the only changes have been the changing of the bottom range to $7/8, the omission of the $15 range, and the additions of several upper ranges. The average 5" action figure is $7 and the average high articulated 6" figure is nearing $10. Transformers have been about the only toyline to really maintain its price ranges without sacrificing product quality.

And again I reiterate: Why should Hasbro have any need to cater to a whiney fandom when kids are the main buyers and Hasbro could just have easily gotten away with repaints

11. Nightscream

Nightscream JP TF Master Collector

Ebay:
    I think we were spoiled in 2004. Universe, Superlink, Binaltech, WSTF, Robotmasters, Masterpiece, Reissues, a ton of comics - that's a lot of stuff. We have a lot of great stuff now, but the selection was even better before.

BUT we've got an enormous budget Hollywood movie in the works. That is an incredibly big bonus no matter how much it sucks. It will be very interesting to see how the toy and comics market is going to change with the release of the movie. I suspect Alternators are going to be cancelled.

12. The Phazer

The Phazer Well-Known Member

Exactly. Things are made for us because we buy them and thus they make money.

Collectors may not make the majority of the market, but we make up at least an entire fifth of it - and a fifth of a market is enough to cost anyone their job if they screw it up. And that share increases year on year, where kids toy sales go down, year on year. We're also infinately more expensive to replace as consumers than kids are.

So no, we're not spoiled. Heck, we're not even treated especially well - all we're treated as is better than the fandoms of a list of franchises who have, oddly enough, utterly failed.

Phazer

13. Shaun_C

Shaun_C The REAL One True fan Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

How is someone NOT worthy of buying something they want? Seriously what are the qualifications to be worthy of the mantle? Who knows maybe by you're definition I'M not worthy of wearing the mantle.Not like I'd care as I know I'm a fan.And as a fan I deserve any form of TF merchandise I want WHEN I want.And it's not the place of you or anyone else to say otherwise

Don't forget you were a newbie once yourself Voiceroy.Would you like it if someone told you "You weren't worthy" for Transformers?

In a fandom there's no mantle to be worthy of Voiceroy.That's the type of attitude you'd expect from teenagers in High school.EVERY fan is equal whether 1)They're just getting into it 2)Were into it for a few years of their childhood or 3)Never quit.

And these newbies that you say aren't worthy of wearing the mantle are who will ensure the success and failure of the brand

Your line of thinking is SERIOUSLY elitist and exclusionary.

Look at ALL the Transformers conventions.I'll use BotCon for my example as it's a widely known TF Conventions.

It's just fans young and old hanging out buying stuff and chatting.No one cares if you're a newbie or not.They don't care about how many toys you got,how many times you've seen TFTM '86 or even if know who Peter Cullen voice.They're just happy to meet another fan to talk shop with.It's not QUANTITY that's the mark of a fan Voiceroy it's QUALITY.

When I worked Wally Burr's table at BotCon last year,I was asked a few questions by someone who didn't know to much about Transformers other then it was a cartoon about robots.And you know what I answered ALL that person's questions with a smile on my face and a positive attitude.And you know what,I saw that SAME person buy a few loose figs.And to me that felt DAMN good brother

14. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    I didn't mean anything about the prices. They are fine, for the most part. All I meant was "not free = not spoiled".

15. Steevy Maximus

News Credits:
    Okay, as you can tell from my response, I had thought you had indicated that perhaps prices were unreasonable for the product (well, moreso than any OTHER mass market toy) :) 

16. Fairy Princess

Fairy Princess Banned

No one is spoiled, Hasbro is a company who wants our money. I would be spoiled if I got free toys from them. I pay Hasbro for my Transformers.

What a lot of fans are though are little drama queens with unrealistic obsessions with how they feel their little niche fandom should be run. (And I know something about Queens honey).

17. KanedaX

KanedaX Twitchy Triggerbot

Ebay:
    BTW, there was a T-Rex Grimlock in the Energon line, two-packed with Swoop.

I wouldn't call us spoiled in the sense that we have so many things going our way. But I would call us spoiled in the sense that we want everything to go our way or else it's the end of the world. For example, the temper tantrums I've been reading over the movie version of Starscream. How many other 80's toy properties are getting a big-budget, summer live action movie release? And we're complaining because he's wider than we want?

We're spoiled the way a little kid kicking and screaming because he wants more ice cream in his cone is spoiled. We forget that they actually care about us enough to make the movie, and only remember that we want every little thing to be exactly what we want.

18. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
    Exactly. And hence the sense of dread. I just hope Hasbro/Dreamworks is ready to meet the kind of consumer demand there will be for merchandise. Depending on their initial release of product, it will probably be one of the few times I don't wait for clearance prices.

I'm cheap, but there's certain types of mass market TF mdse I've waited decades to own since I was able to buy very little of it back in the 80's. There's only so much (or so little) one can afford on a meager allowance. Today, my wife and I have the combined equivalent of 3 above-average incomes and I plan to take advantage of it as long as my wife will allow.

19. funkatron101

funkatron101 TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Some people seem to think that classics, alternators, and the Titanium series are a personal thank you to us from hasbro. That makes me laugh.

Listen up, Hasbro is a company that wants MONEY, we, the consumers, HAVE MONEY. We are part of the market share. They want to capture us AND kids. Hasbro feels often times they can do that with the same toy line.

That is not to say I don't like Hasbro. I am grateful, especially since I was one of the people who won their giveaway contest a few years back. But I acknowledge it for what it is, a marketing tool to get me to buy more toys, and it worked.

20. WWMEGATRON

WWMEGATRON Well-Known Member

Yup !! Spoiled !! Definitively spoiled !! I'm both spoil and crazy !!