Are we paying too much for video games?

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by JetRaid, Nov 11, 2009.

?

Are we paying too much?

1. Yes

54.4%
  2. No

45.6%
  1. JetRaid

JetRaid Jhet Rheyd

News Credits:
    Just think about it. I want Modern warfare 2 so badly, but guess how much it costs? Oh its only $119.00!!!!

Discuss.

2. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It's 60 bucks if you get it without all the extras. Playing a game like Uncharted 2 and seeing all the work that went into making every texture and every piece of architecture look non-tiled and lazy makes me not mind too much 60 bucks. But there are plenty of games that are not worth that much, but I don't think 50 is unreasonable. I like how Wii games are not overpriced.

3. Elita_One

Elita_One Метал для життя

YES!

I see alot of games $60 and up and it's ridiculous! If you get a bunch of collectables with it, okay, but just the game? Come on, you're gonna tell me a garbage game like Wet is worth $60? I don't think so.

4. JetRaid

JetRaid Jhet Rheyd

News Credits:
    And I personally think that if the game is cheaper the developers would get much more money.

5. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    Lets say MW2 made a million off of pre-orders and the sale of the game on the first day. As a business why would you want to make half that if you know you can make more?

Just because you can't afford a game doesn't mean others can't either. I agree sometimes its shitty that games are too high, but for what I get out of a game by initial payment goes a long, long way.

I hate it when an older game thats been out for years is still expensive though :( 

6. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    Yes, because when it went from cartridges to CD/DVD formats all the companies said it would be cheaper. All Ive seen is $60-$70 cartridges go to $60-$70 CD/DVDs

7. JetRaid

JetRaid Jhet Rheyd

News Credits:
    Well I found Sega Superstars tennis at a game shop for $70..

What are they thinking? Thats a terrible game!

8. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    not paying too much. hell, games are cheaper now than they were for the genesis, snes, and N64.

9. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

In this thread people fail to understand how much it costs to make a game.

In this thread people fail to understand consumer choice and the concept of "smart buys".

In this thread I facepalm and rolleyes.

10. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Back when I was playing the Genesis, I paid $80 for Sword of Vermillion and it came with a small player's guide.
    beat the game and never once thought that it was worth that much.

Now that old Mecha game that came out for the Xbox with the massive controller, i can understand it being expensive.
    Still not worth the money.
    The controller should have been compatible with more than one game.

in the most simple of terms, i think that the only games where i can feel justified for spending that kind of cabbage is for either RPG's that will take about 3 weeks of my life to complete, a game with massive replay value (not sports games, either) or a game so revolutionary cool that i can't pass it up.

the other 90%, it is too much money for a game.

11. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    We need an ingore thread option rather than a ignore user option.

12. Beastbot X

Beastbot X The Toad Knows.

News Credits:
    Developers only get about 10% of the money you pay for a game, and that's if they're lucky. So no, I don't think we're paying too much. If anything, I think we're getting quite a bargain. What is it, something like 90% of games don't make their money back? Why do you think studios go under/are absorbed into larger studios so often in this industry?

Honestly, I think this thread is rather interesting given we're on a Transformers message board. We'll pay $40 for a hunk of plastic many of us will transform once and then display on a shelf, but $60 for dozens of hours of entertainment is too much?

13. McBradders

No comment :lolol 

You so need to come over sometime soon, man, or vice versa.

Anyway, the thing that gets me most about this kind of thing is the fucking weird sense of entitlement people have over this stuff. Blows my fucking mind. All this righteous fury... it's like, hey, if it's too much then look for a deal, buy it used, or... and I know this might sound like I lost my mind but I'm gonna throw it out there; don't fucking buy it.

If you bought a shitty game you really only have yourself to blame.

Get over it.

If I had a womb I would hunt you down and make you give me babies.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2009
  14. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    This weekend i'm in Manchester meeting everyone. Why aren't you coming? There is even gonna be Guitar Hero :D 

I'll drop you a message, I'll bring my arcade stick to yours and you'll teach me the ways of the not sucking at SF4. Then I will turn on my master and destroy you!

15. McBradders

I'm away this weekend with the missus :eek: 

16. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    Ahhh. We will guitar hero in your honor then. Something meaningful and appropiate, most likely Woman by Wolfmother!! :lol 

17. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    No. Most games now are cheaper than Super Nintendo games then. Hm but maybe they could be cheaper, because the cartridges were much more expensive in production than a DVD. Regarding that point I'm not quiet sure about us paying too much or not.

18. Beastbot X

Beastbot X The Toad Knows.

News Credits:
    Them's would be some ugly babies...

*Ahem* Seriously though, this kinda stuff just strikes a particular chord with me because I majored in game design and animation. To be fair, it's difficult to realize just how much work goes into the littlest things in games without actually doing it yourself. I came into the major all honky-dorey, "Oh boy I'm gonna make games", and then come the last couple years you basically hit a brick wall as they tell you all the stuff you don't want to hear. Now, I'm pulling these figures from memory from a class I had about 2 years ago, so they may be a little off, but the development cycle of a game has gone from about 9 man months (1 man working on the game nonstop for 1 month=1 man month) back when video games first came out to about 150 man years. And those figures were as of 2002, so they were last-gen. So it's probably well over 200 man years of work for the average PS3/360 video game now.
    So as a game developer/level builder/etc you have 80-hour work weeks, maybe more during "crunch time" the last month or so before a game's released. And even with development teams getting bigger and bigger, game development cycles have ballooned even since the last generation.
    And then on a personal note there were the couple of quarters we actually worked on a prototype game idea (mine was a Metalocalypse miniature golf game... my test level was on a rusty abandoned oil rig out in the middle of a blood ocean). It just takes sooooo danged long just to do the simplest little thing, like create a platform and bring it in game and make sure the collision detection isn't all wonky. And that's assuming you're using an engine that's already been created and not building yours from scratch.
    So between learning about the game industry and actually working on a game prototype myself, I learned just how much darned work it is. Most people don't even stay in the game industry for more than 5 years-- they just get too burnt out on it. I mean, you work 12 hours a day at a game, and then you come home to relax. What are you gonna do? Not play games. Which is why I'm switching to another major. Game designers-- God bless 'em, but I could never do that long-term. I'd grow to hate 1 of my 2 favorite pasttimes.
    So if you told me all the stuff I know about how game design works and then ask me how much I think a game would go for-- assuming I had no knowledge of what games ACTUALLY went for, I'd ballpark $100 a pop. It's all just such a huge collaboration and undertaking, and except for really huge games like WoW, it's not like they get a big audience like the movies where they can they mark down the ticket prices to $7-10 a ticket or so and still make money. (And even with WoW they have to keep coming up with new content, of course.)

(TL;DR, I know.)

19. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

No. If anything, they've got cheaper since prices haven't really gone up with inflation.

More digital distribution is the only realistic way of lowering them, yet people piss and moan about that as well whenever it comes up.

20. McBradders

I want your children even harder.