Are we happy with Clones?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Starscreamer95, Feb 7, 2011.

1. Ephland

Ephland Let's Go Rangers

News Credits:
    What irritates me is: why would a brown tank be in a downtown area to scan?

2. HIM666fan

HIM666fan DINOBOT

News Credits:
    why does it matter? lol
    its just a color... if its a final battle that would make sense!

why do they have to be downtown to scan in the first film the decepticons were all over the place....

3. sideswipe89

sideswipe89 Beachcomber

News Credits:
    yeah I'm okay with them being clones/drones. It appears from the trailer that theres gonna be tons of decepticons attacking the city. It would be hard to make each and everyone an individual design, especially if they are only gonna be on screen for a few seconds. I'm sure we'll get atleast 5 or 6 unique decepticons for the movie.

4. springerbee

springerbee Well-Known Member

Now the brown color makes sense, Brawl's a Redead!

5. Kraken2009

Kraken2009 Megatron's Right Hand

How much you want to bet there is another Blackout somewhere in the city?:drool: 

6. guard convoy

guard convoy The Big Daddy

News Credits:
    maybe he scanned it earlier?

7. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    I don't think he scanned it there. He and Haul-Long probably landed somewhere else.

8. DecepticonsRule

DecepticonsRule Triple-Changer

News Credits:
    I hate drones.

If you ask me, one thing the movie series never really got was Decepticon characterization. There was next to none in the first film, and in the second, all it was was Starscream, Megatron and The Fallen. They needed to make the Decepticons more individual, more unique.
    Interestingly, if you ask me, the Cons of TF1 were more individual than the Cons of ROTF, because in ROTF there were tons of drones running around, whereas in TF1, there was only a few, unique Decepticons that each did something unique.

Drones take away from the Decepticon characters. I mean, with DOTM, we see that not only were the Constructicons drones, but that Brawl, Bonecrusher and Sideways were as well. Are we going to find out that Barricade and Frenzy were merely drones as well?
    Although the Decepticons do eventually get blown up, they honestly deserve more than just being copy and paste cannon fodder. It takes away from the character and uniqueness of the original to have a bunch of drones of it running around.

The only way I could accept drones would be if they did something like the Reign of Starscream comics. There are a few drone leaders (Swindle, Dreadwing, Payload), who are each unique. Then, there are the drones that they command, which are based off of them, but look slightly different. All of the drones look the same though.
    The drone leaders command their drones through their mind, and that's their special ability. Only they can control them, and the drones follow their every command and order.
    If you ask me, this way could provide a really cool battle sequence. Imagine a drone leader getting all his drones to move in formation around him, with every move he does, his drones doing as well. It would be interesting to see the Autobots have to fight through waves of drones to kill the leader. Once the leader is killed, the drones all die.

I miss seeing the Constructicons as individual characters. I liked it when Bonecrusher was a unique, hatin roller-skater.
    Having a bunch of drones around only takes away from the Decepticons for me.

THIS I would accept... it's logical, and it's also acceptable, because each Decepticon is a different character. However, until they confirm that this is the case in the movies, they're all drones to me.

9. Overlord Balder

Overlord Balder Voices Slugslinger!

On the second I somewhat agree, but on the first, Barricade, Blackout and Bonecrusher had their personalities, despite the lack of screentime [and money to make many scenes with them].

Yes, but in TF2, The Decepticons are supposedly striking the earth at full force, they are returning to their feet again, have an entire freaking army makes sense...

Well, Starscream implied they were clones of the original ones [thus, every reused model does not mean that the original character was a drone, but that they simply made a copy of the original body, but likely without personality or competence of the original].

While this idea is [very] cool, The dudes are not droned, they are [apparently] literal clones of the originals.

Problem is: Decepticons are striking at full force on earth, it takes a hell load of time to make new models of characters, so what you do? makes a "full force attack" be five Decepticons breaking stuff or reuse models?

He used the second option, because it takes time [and money] to create new models, why the hell create a new expensive model to a character that will be killed within seconds? We need cannon fodder [or else we have five Decepticons being the entire Decepticon army], and that's their solution.

10. roy_flagg00

roy_flagg00 I want more life....

I have a revolutionary idea:
    Bay should have taken his time making the movie.
    You see, when you care about the subject matter, you want to take your time so that you can look back on your work with some pride. Bay only cares about the grosses, and he knows that the lemmings that are the American consumer will go to see this movie regardless of whether or not it is a piece of crap.
    To make a long story short, clones are a big part of what these movies have done wrong, and it seems like Bay has decided to double down on using them.
    Too bad, I was actually hoping that Bay might surprise me with a quality movie...:( 

11. Orbital

Orbital Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think, if you need an explanation, The Decepticons just have like, a folder of images on their windows computer on their main ship, and they just flip through like the only 10 images of earth vehicles they have, and run with that. That's how i explain the ridiculous amounts clones.

12. Hotwire

Hotwire Pro-Customizer

It's an homage to the all-mighty G1 which did the same thing with great frequency.

13. Overlord Balder

1 - You completely ignored my looong explanation for the Clones existence.

2 - Are you seriously saying that the movie sucks because it has clones in the 30-SECONDS LONG TEASER? [two, to be more precise].

3 - Your opinions of Bay are irrelevant, you may think he is an acient troll who rapes childhoods or the guy who explodes stuff in an AWESOME way, my points about the Clones make sense.

4 - This has nothing to do with caring or not with the stuff, it's about the time [and money] it takes: you must remember that Bay, as any director, has limited budget and time for his movies.

5 - Every Transformers story has drones and clones, even G1 had the same thing, so this is not new.

14. Hotwire

Hotwire Pro-Customizer

While you are probably right, that Bay is not out to make an Oscar worthy film, but the guy really knows how to pack a theater, and THAT is what the STUDIOS want.

Also, may I point out...
    People bitched up a storm after TF1, because there were not enough Transformers. Well, in ROTF, they added a ton of bots. People bitched again, because they reused a couple designs.
    Now, keep in mind that these bastards cost A TON of money to create and animate. This is why we're getting clones. They save money on the production. If you're going to have a scene where one bot tears through about 3-5 bots, are you really going to go through the massive expense to create, render, and animate 3-5 NEW bots, only to show them on screen for a few seconds? This is why the original cartoon did it on a regular basis.

That make sense?

15. -Superion-

-Superion- Well-Known Member

I know it takes alot of money to create new models, hence the reason why they went overboard with clones in ROTF and likely again in DOTM, but personally I really hate the idea. I know that in G1, they have characters that are essentially repaints of one another (Ratchet/Ironhide, Bumblebee/Cliffjumper, the seekers, etc), but at least they have different colors, names, and even personalities. In ROTF, all the clones (like those Constructicons) all are identical, and just a lazy job by the production crew.

16. Overlord Balder

Well, at leas the movie flat-out said that they were clones, so they being dead ringers at least makes sense [hate the idea or not, it makes sense].

And Problem is: G1 is a series, with numerous episodes, give random drones personality is easy, in a movie, we don't have time to give every cannon fodder unique personality.

Although I agree that ROTF crossed the line with the clones and the lack of personality of robots.

17. roy_flagg00

roy_flagg00 I want more life....

No, that's a smokescreen you are throwing up to defend this guy, and I'm not buying it. You can't make the decision to rush and then say that you didn't have enough time to do a good job. Bay is at the helm, for better or worse. With the money that the two first movies made, he should have tried to leverage that reputation into more time. but he didn't.
    Your explaination of the clones makes about as much sense as any other, and I have no problem with it. But, from the trailer, I feel much worse about the prospects of ROBOT characterization in DOTM. I'm sure we will get to see some more with the ever entertaining Mrs. Witwicky. :( 

18. Overlord Balder

I don't get your point here, I'm sorry, could you explain that again?

Who knows he didn't?

Problem is: You talk about him like he was some kind of George Lucas or something, he is a director, damn good one at his job [making money, that is], but he is far from having much power over the studio.

It was a 30-seconds trailer [a 30-seconds trailer that was EXCLUSIVELY dedicated to showing The Decepticon Army destroying everything on their path], that showed almost only Transformers [come on for god's sake, if you take out the initial shot from Sam you wouldn't even know that he is on this movie!].

The main focus of the trailer were on Decepticon Ships unleashing hell and the big badass battle over chicago, this is clearly not a human focused movie [judging by the trailer, that is]

Also, we need some humans [I hate humans in Transformers too], these robots cost more than my soul to be animated, we can't have a full movie with them or it would make Avatar look cheap.

19. UnicronFTW

UnicronFTW Don't blink.

News Credits:
    I suppose it's just lucky coincidence that they scanned the same vehicle?

Not to mention... Blackout and Grindor may have helicopter alternate forms... but they were also DIFFERENT helicopters.

And do we KNOW this is a Long Haul drone? No. Because last I checked, his fate was never disclosed.
    Devastators TORSO was taken out by the rail gun, his legs were just fine. Who says they couldn't just seperate and still be A-OK?

Let's wait and see the fricking movie before we start making assumptions.

20. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

Do SW fans bitch this much about Stormtroopers?