Are we freaks?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Smokescreen38, Mar 28, 2006.

1. Smokescreen38

Smokescreen38 Fight fire with smoke!

Okay, folks... let's hear it. How old are you... and do you think there is anything odd about frothing at the mouth over toys at your age?

Do you think you'll ever "grow up?"

I am 27 (I'll be 28 in a couple months) and I will probably buy more Transformers in 2006 than I had in my whole childhood collection. When I see a new Alt sitting on the shelf: froth city.

I do feel strange when I compare my lifestyle to the lives of people my age in other parts of the world... or even in this part of the world, especially in previous generations.

Its a real luxury to be able to salvage one piece of childhood... I guess we are incredibly lucky to have the option.

Often it occurs to me that I should be saving my money or paying off my student loans faster, but its a quick and easy happiness fix..

I can't see completely losing interest in them as long as they are being produced.... I guess I'm not as responsible as I'd like to think.

So let's hear it... what do you think? Am I the only one who feels a bit weird about it?

2. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    i will be 31 this year.

in my time, i've:
    -open toys in public, at the women's shoe section while waiting wifey no less.
    -took toy pics outdoors, in public.
    -sitting at the kids section of kinokuniya fiddling with amd nemesis prime.
    -had near accidents, opening toys in the parking lot and fiddling with em in traffic.

i could give a rats ass what people think.

3. thefrozenred

thefrozenred 4 8 15 16 23 42

Ebay:
    No. You certainly are not.

My best justification is that there are far worse things to enjoy than something innocent like buying toys.

4. Rattrap

Rattrap Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Im 16, and I dont care what others think about me, I can do what I want. I take alot of crap at school for liking TFs, but it dosent bother me, I hate most of the people there anyways. But, I think it is worth it, it just makes me enjoy my toys even more at the end of the day.

5. Darth Megatron

Darth Megatron Don't tell Lucas!

Yeah, it’s not something that I announce to co-workers and most other people I meet. That being said, most of my family and close friends think its kind of weird, but when they see the collection, they are on board with it.

My thoughts are that everyone needs something, be it Football, Nascar, Baseball cards, fishing, hunting, etc, etc. This is what we like, no shame. Anyone who goes overboard one any hobby would be irresponsible, doesn't matter what you collect. As long as you are in a position to buy them, who cares???

6. Darth Megatron

Darth Megatron Don't tell Lucas!

Yeah High School sucks, chin up, there is life outside those walls. When your 27 it won't make a difference.

:thumb 

7. Primus

Primus Beware, the modelers. Veteran

News Credits:
    Well said. I agree. I don't spend nearly as much time obsessing as I used to but I still find time to keep track of the comming and going of the brand.

I'll be 31 in May.

To be honest, it's people that don't have hobbies that worry me. They seem way more stressed out.

8. Tenebrouser

Tenebrouser Craft...or is it crap?

No, everybody should have something to keep them occupied that they enjoy. It's something that takes away from the pressure of grad school and work and I would go numb with boredom without it.

Collecting TFs and action figures aren't weird anymore and they're certainly not passe. However, when a man collects Beanie Babies...

9. Shaun_C

Shaun_C The REAL One True fan Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

I'm already grown up

IMPO it's the fanboys that need to grow like the ones on the TF movie related boards.The ones who act like TFs are their basis for life.But can't hold down an intelligent conversation

Now this I take issue with.I ALWAYS choose paying debts over a quick and easy happiness fix.I mean TFs are fun but honestly you'll be in A LOT more trouble by not paying off debts then you would not buying the latest Alt

Never felt weird about it.I mean it's just a hobby,I barely talk about it.I don't spend hundreds or in some cases thousands.

If a fan feels weird about collecting anything from TFs to anime DVDs or whatever.Maybe it's not the product but the attitude of the fan collecting them

10. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Your opinion was noted. Now get lost. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    25 years old and really don't care what others think about it. I've been collecting in ernest for the last four years. I'm an overnight manager at a Target store and everyone I work with knows about my hobby. Most of the time alot of people are really impressed at both the size of my collection and at the fact that I don't care if they know and am very open about collecting a child's toy.

Heck Dark Magnus and I talk about transformers at work all the time and both of us are overnight team leads.

11. ErikB

ErikB TF Master

i'm 23, spend all my money on toys and games, and they just paid for my Jaguar in 2 weeks. I might be seen as a geek or a freak, but i make enough money to have some killer stuff for a geek :) 

12. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    Do I feel like a freak because I buy Transformer toys and I'm at that "grown adult" phase of life?

Yes.

Will I stop buying Transformers because of a broad, society-wide opinion about what is acceptable for collecting?

No.

I've always been of two minds about this topic. On one side of it, I can easily and readily acknowledge that Transformers collecting is simply another variation of collecting, which is a hobby in itself. It's been mentioned before (above this post) but plenty of folks collect stuff - Football memorabilia, Star Trek stuff, magic cards, baseball cards, ancient art, sculpture, etc. However, the collected object itself is frequently a society-wide basis for opinions about that object's collectors. Sculpture collectors? Sculpture is, in itself, regarded as an artistic expression. Therefore, sculpture collectors must be intelligent and artistic and know something about art. Baseball cards? They represent the statistics and pros and cons about a particular baseball player. Therefore, baseball card collectors must be relatively fact-oriented and have some detailed knowledge about their favorite baseball players.

On the other hand, Transformers collecting doesn't work with this connection because they're children's toys. When children collect Transformers, it's regarded as natural; toys are marketed to children. The connection for an average member of society breaks for adult Transformers collectors. "Buying toys relates to children. This makes sense. Buying toys relates to adult. Waaaait, this is weird to me..."

...and so it goes. We are judged as "freaks" or "weird" by the generalized society demographic, because thinking any further than "freaks" or "weird" is too much thought for the passer-by. That's just the way it is.

HOWEVER, always remember: Broad generalizations are relative. Just because you are judged by someone else to be a "freak" for collecting Transformers is probably not going to stop you from thinking "damn, there's a fatty" when you pass someone who is overweight (or choose another broad generalization, they all apply.) You're just as guilty as anyone else who judges.

...on the other hand, if you never judge anyone, then you're in the clear! You are obviously without sin. However, I don't think there exists anyone like that on these boards. ;) 

13. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    you! again with the word stick!

i kid.

i have to agree, generally itd be awkward to represent toy collecting as a long term adult hobby. we have collectors here upwards of 35, but none has fessed up being in their 40s.

we'll see.

14. Easterling Capt

Easterling Capt I am Vern Schillinger

Ebay:
    nah why should I , if ppl cant handle it..then well to bad for them cause I aint stoping.

15. Overlord II

Overlord II Starscreamicon Leader TFW2005 Supporter

Just turned 37 yesterday....I still collect primarily the Alternators series, some G1 reissues and almost anything with the name "Starscream" on it....I just think that it is my thing.
    I buy about once monthly if that. Some may think that it is "wierd" if someone my age collects, but I don't see anything wrong with it. There are worse things to do with your time or money. At least, if well cared for, some of these items will have some value later JMHO

16. Predaking

Predaking Well-Known Member

Turning 32 this year. I have begun to embrace my love of TFs more these past few years by openly displaying them in my room for my friends to see. One of my friends have taken interest in my G1 gestalts and asks me what's the total value of my TF collection. I replied I don't know or do I care. To me it's only necessary if you want to insure them or planning to sell them. I buy toys for my own enjoyment and I would not sell any of them. (ok maybe just a few pieces)

TFs have taken a lot of my money and there are times when I want to give it a rest and save some money but with Cyb still going strong and Neo/Classic, MP, and movie toys all coming at its heels it'll be difficult to quit. After I get married though I may sell some TFs that I don't care for like BM and doubles to free up some space. However I don't see myself giving up on this hobby of TF collection anytime soon. I'll give some of my toys to my kids if I ever have them and get them to like TF and maybe one day turn over my collection to them when I am old and gray.

17. Greyryder

Greyryder Kitbashed

I don't care if people think it's childish to have hundreds of dollars worth of toy robots, that I actively enjoy. It beats having a $1500 bass boat, that I never use. :rolleyes: 

18. Spartan-117

Spartan-117 Well-Known Member

I'm nineteen. I sure as hell don't feel like a freak because I'm not. There's nothing freakish about doing something you enjoy that doesn't hurt anyone and the only people who throw around terms like "freak" and "weirdo" are shallow idiots who can't take the time to look past the surface and see people for who they are, not what they do.
    It's just a hobby, sure it's a bit of an unusual one but in the end it's no more freakish that people who support a sporting team or collect dvds.
    I don't throw parades and shout about my hobby but I don't deny it either.

19. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Actionmaster Super Mod

News Credits:
    nope....like others have said, if they cant deal with it, f'im...every now and then i get odd looks when i find something new and kinda rush towards it, or make some sort of obscure noise, but also get alot of thanks from parents when i offer help in their selection....

20. Rumble02

Rumble02 Radicon of Obliticons

Im 22 years old with a wife and my first child on the way withing 8 to 10 weeks. I have more transformers now than I did as a child and know more about them now aswell. YES WE ARE FREAKS AND WE ARE PROUD OF IT. I will collect as long as they are being made. And eventually give them to my child if my child wants them. Everyone knows about my hobby and is actually very supportive. My grandparents even still buy me transformers for christmas. My in-laws do the same. ME SOO HAPPY TO BE A GEEK