Are we a dying breed?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Grimlock22, Aug 10, 2012.

1. Grimlock22

Grimlock22 Some sort of artist

So I've been seeing a decline in fans so I ended up thinking we might go extinct (TF fans of corse )

2. TylerMirage

TylerMirage I vawnt my berdt.

News Credits:

I'm not sure where you're seeing this proposed "decline in fans", but all good things come to an end. I don't think Transformers fans will ever truly go 100% extinct. Worst case scenario the fandom will decrease to a very small number of fans (relatively speaking) as the franchise in general fades off into the memories of others. But like I said, I don't see that happening any time soon. I picture the fandom/franchise staying strong for quite some time, even if it has ups and downs.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 10, 2012
  3. deltaprime

deltaprime The Christian Transfan

The fandom's had its share of highs and lows over the years. The closest we ever came to "dying out" was back in the 90's, and even much of that was just in America. Across the pond, TFs were still decently popular.

At this moment, we have 4, count'em, 4 different TF shows on the Hub. We have a toy brand that has stuff for kids and for adults. We have a new game coming out soon. The comics have never been better, and plenty of fans read them. (I myself have to get caught up a bit, but that's besides the point.) On top of all that, I'm willing to believe there's still a little bit of juice left in the Movie craze. Not that much, but some.

Transformers right now is far more popular than it was back in the 90's, and if we bounced back then we certainly can bounce back from whatever decline shows itself now.

4. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Wields Mjolnir!

News Credits:
    Given that it's 3 AM on the West Coast and there are currently 907 active members on this site alone, I'd say no.

5. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    IMO the TF fandom is still going strong. For fandom like MOTU and Mask, I won't be surprised if the fandom dies eventually after generation. There's no new cartoon or movie to keep the franchise going.

6. Easterling Capt

Easterling Capt I am Vern Schillinger

Ebay:
    oki this is how it works, and does so for every franchise.

1) Something comes out (movie, cartoon etc etc) and brings in X ammount of fans.

2) of those X fans 80% quite after the hype

3) of the remaining X 10-15 % become casual fans bying here and there

4) the last % becomes hardcore and will continue collect after the hype and all the others have gone.

This beehaviour is Exactly the same at any franchicse, it is very well known and documented amongst SW who is a prime example of this outcome.

Then you still have alot of fans that have left these boards or post very little due to hugh ammount if idiots that dwell here.

7. KA

KA Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    God i hope so. Bout time we weed out the bayformer hype fans.

8. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Wields Mjolnir!

News Credits:
    Amen!

9. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    Really though I don't think anything is dying. TF is changing, transforming if you will, and diversifying. G1 had its fingers into so many pies, but by the time G2 came along the franchise had more or less shrunk down to just the main line and was that way for many years. Now with BayFormers boosting things it's just spreading back out into old territory again. Just because you perhaps don't see as much interest in the main TF line doesn't mean things aren't booming in all the other TF areas you perhaps don't follow to see it.

For example I have no interest in Bot Shots. I have no idea how big that area of TF fandom is. I could look at threads where people are less and less interested in the official TF main line, but that doesn't mean people have lost interest in Transformers overall, they're probably just devoting their time, efforts and money to other areas of the fandom. It's still going strong, it's just now spread out a bit more.

I suppose if you could give us an example of where your main interest in TF lies that could maybe prove or disprove my theory. If you're only looking at the TF Prime main line and FOC and seeing people losing interest in those because of the designs and/or the Hasbro cost-cutting measures then that might be why you seem to think you're seeing a decline in TF fanship in others overall.

10. Fishdirt

Fishdirt Tin Toy Transformer

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    5) another 5 to 10 percent that originally broke off come back 20 years later because of nostalgia

11. D-Unit

D-Unit #1 Heel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I don't get what this means? How are you measuring a decline in fans? Just because people don't post on the boards doesn't mean they aren't fans. I don't post nearly as much as I did on here years ago, so am I part of this decline? I don't understand

12. NeverDoubt

NeverDoubt Well-Known Member

I don't think the fandom is declining particularly. I still see little kids with Bumblebee backpacks and even hear about kids who enjoy the old G1 cartoon. And ultimately it's the younger generations who keep these kinds of things going.

13. Fishdirt

Fishdirt Tin Toy Transformer

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I think now that the trend (fad) of tf movies is over he's probably finding less of his school mates so enthralled with them.

14. Secretcode

Secretcode Keeper of Encarta Veteran

News Credits:
    YouTube:
    No.

We are having a downtime in terms of toys and "big" fiction. Give it time. The fans have been through worse.

15. Yaujta

Yaujta De-Headmasterizator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I think the fandom and franchise have more 'competition' for the consumer's dollars than they've ever had before. The number of options available for collectors has definitely increased over the years, so even though our main interest isn't dying, it may not be growing as steadily as it once did.

16. SoundwaveFanboy

SoundwaveFanboy Decepticon

I highly doubt it there will always be transformers fans and I will always be one of them.

17. -Mainframe-

-Mainframe- Well-Known Member

Hopefully the world or universe blows up right after this happens. :ev: 

:rip 

18. rxlthunder

rxlthunder Banned

News Credits:
    No offence, but Prime fans are becoming one.

19. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Grimlock22, I don't even think you've been in the fandom for a real "lull" period yet, this is still riding high compared to a lot of years before the movies came out. If TF fans have managed to stay around for nearly 30 years so far, they're not going to go extinct any time soon.

20. toaster

toaster It's Hip to be Square !

This isn't a bad thing. It's what we needed a few months ago actually.