Are We A Collection Of Whiners?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by grufflock, Feb 24, 2009.

1. shibamura_prime

shibamura_prime Food Truck or BMW Moderator

News Credits:
    I don't know if we are in general. But there are a handful of malcontents among us, like any other fandom + interwebz combination. Sadly they can be the most vocal and give the rest of us humble toy-loving nerds a bad name.

2. smkspy

smkspy Remember true fans

And no other line is as diverse or complicated as Transformers. Of course, there are going to be more "whiners" because no everyone likes the same figures. In your example you named what amounts to 4 differ brands revolving around one concept, Transforming. For every one person that hates the movie or animated, there is a person that loves RID or Energon and vice versa. Sure, brands like Batman and Superman have had many different shows and lines of toys, but essentially all those are comparable to each other because the changes are so small they aren't worth mentioning. With Transformers, nothing stays static besides transforming and the names of the characters.

3. Creepybaldguy

Creepybaldguy Well-Known Member

I believe we are, which is one of the reasons I'm out of TF collecting when TFA is over. but I don't believe we're the worst, Marvel fans have wars with each other over scale, style, etc. it can get as bad as here, but usaully worse because alot of times it devolves into petty name calling.

4. Opticron Primal

Opticron Primal Comin' up OOOs!

News Credits:
    You proved my point. Voice an opinion, get blown off. That's why I don't post here anymore. I only come for the news.

5. spikex

spikex Nightbird is my bitch

Tf's are something we all love and we have our own ideas of where the franchise should be headed. It can be frustrating when Hasbro takes it in a different direction. For example, I would like to see a revamped angle of G1, but that is just me and I know I am not in the driver's seat so I just sit back and enjoy the ride anyway. Check out the candlekeep forum and you'll find a lot more complaints about what WoTC is doing to forgotten realms than any thing Hasbro has or has not done.

6. smkspy

I just don't see why a negative opinion of a toy should bother you. If you like a toy and I hate it so what? We both posted our opinions and what the internet is. The next time you may hate one toy and I love it. Hell, I hardly posted in threads about a new toy other than I either like or dislike it then I leave the thread. I get absolutely nothing out of the news threads about x or y upcoming release. What I don't get is people that worry, feel the need to make commentary on, or quit collectin because this fandom whines too much. I mean really, what is that?

7. Opticron Primal

Opticron Primal Comin' up OOOs!

News Credits:
    *sigh* That's not what I'm saying. I like negative comments. That's what I meant by "reasonable". It represents the different side of a discussion, I'm talking about over the top negative comments. Mis-spelled, 133t speak, "OMGWTFBBQ" negative comments with out of the blue "facts". That's what I'm talking about.

8. Hotspot17

Hotspot17 Search and Rescue: Vet

News Credits:
    Yes.

9. AMG

AMG Old School

I don't think it's "whining" so much as people just being honest. TF fans aren't afraid to say that they dislike something. With such a diverse brand spanning 25 years it's inevitable that some fans will prefer one art style, story, character cast, toy line, comics and so forth over another. Disagreements are unavoidable.

One man's grail is another man's garbage.

10. smkspy

No need for the dramatics. You didn't exactly make yourself clear. But well, I gotta agree with Gadep. You're gonna get those extreme comments no matter what so why worry.

11. Maximum Burn

Maximum Burn JETS AND HELI!! I LIKEY!

Hey nothing's perfect.

Besides, we don't want Hasbro to get lazy now do we? ;) 

12. Spider Striker

Spider Striker ThisGuyWithTheYellowCap

I think that's a good chunck of it. For whatever reason, negative people always seem to be more vocal (or at least type more). And for whatever reason, I think the human mind just remembers the negative better for whatever stupid reason. You're more likely to remember being insulted than complimented. Your boss is more likely to remember that mistake you made that cost them $50 than that brilliant idea you had that's making them thousands.

So really, a thread about a toy could be 50/50 in terms of who likes it and who doesn't, but for whatever reason the bitching is what will stick out in the readers' minds.

13. Lbsammills51

Lbsammills51 Known Member?

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yes, but actually the 'negativity' I've seen here is about what I would expect for a site like this, and I've never been shocked or put off buy anything. Many moons ago, I regularly checked out a forum about Buffy and Angel while those shows were still going on, and that got nasty (it didn't help that moderators didn't keep certain people in check who held favored status, which only exacerbated things). My visiting this site so far has been a fairly pleasant experience.

As for some of the recurring complaints...for many of them, when you have enough people complaining about a certain thing like (even if it's not always in an intelligible manner at times) like Classics Galvatron or the initial reception to the Twins, when that many people react so strongly, then a section of the fandom has spoken. Let Hasbro/Michael Bay/Paramount/Takara figure out whether they'll listen to the complaints or ignore them. As for the G1 thing, that's a whole nother topic entirely,

14. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    Hmmm...

if we were not picky whiners, then would we have gotten anything as nice as:
    A) Alternators?
    B) Masterpiece?
    C) Alternity?
    D) Universe?

If we weren't picky... if we weren't whiners... then Hasbro / Takara wouldn't be as motivated to go the extra mile that they do. After all- if we took whatever bland was placed in front of us, then why would they put more work into their molds?

15. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    And then you have the sub humans who bitch about the GEEWUNners.

16. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

All fandoms have something they bitch about. Just ask a GI Joe fan about the dreaded Duke arms, limp wrist Vipers, arms that don't bend a full 90 degrees, or yet another Duke, Snake Eyes, or Cobra Commander figure.

I think though in a way Transformers is the rather unlucky line because GI Joe and Star Wars figures don't change all that much so you can always hold out hope that either the figure you want will come out or a better version of the figure will arrive some day to make you happy. Say you don't like the accelerator suit Duke is wearing in the new live action movie then you could either throw in the 25th figure, the Resolute figure, or the camo BDU Duke from the movie as your default Duke.

Transformers though is always changing the look in radical ways so you count yourself lucky to even get some characters and if you feel like the figure is not all you could have hoped for well you likely aren't getting a better one.

I think it's easier for fans of other lines to be happier because there is always that hope of a better figure that fits the rest of the collection. You just don't get that hope with Transformers because as nice as say Animated Jazz looked he just doesn't fill in as Jazz in my Classics collection.

Also for some odd reason Transformers fans seem to take too much stuff personally. If you said you don't like Sigma Six and GI Joe fans aren't going to get upset, but if you say you don't like a Transformers line then people act like you personally offended them instead of the toys.

17. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The internet in general is a festering pool of bitter and negativity.

That's why I like trolling it by being happy at people. :D  When I discovered people could take offense at me for not being upset, much schadenfreude ensued with minimal work.

18. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It is just a fact of language- there are more negative terms than positive.
    could be it is easier to break things down than build up.

the best i can hope for is to avoid whining. it is okay to not like something here in the TF community; it just helps to havea decent, logical reason for it.
    I suppose then it is criticism, not whining.

19. Thundercrackah

Thundercrackah Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm not a whiner, but a good chunk of this fandom is.
    And that goes for every single nerd fandom out there.

There are very, very few people here and on the internet in general, who can voice their displeasure with something in a mature, intelligent fashion.

Most (not all) of the complaining comes across as the spoilt rantings of pathetic manchildren who can't get exactly what they want from a kids toyline.

Now I'm sure that's gonna make a few people erupt and frankly I really don't care anymore.

20. SureShot90

SureShot90 Peace=superior firepower

Ebay:
    Whiners with a reason yes :)