Are Walmart's getting their DOTM stock yet?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Sam Witwicky, Apr 20, 2011.

1. Sam Witwicky

Sam Witwicky Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I ask this because I know that Walmart brings out their stock during the late night hours and thought what if someone spotted a dotm box and opened it and was able to buy it trouble free. I am just curious that if dotm stock got put out early like the cyberverse toys that have been spotted in Florida which were able to be purchased without any trouble if one could get other dotm toys without any trouble. I guess I ask this all because I'm getting a bit antsy and wanted to hear your thoughts and opinions on this matter.

2. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    If you find a toy that doesn't appear have a corresponding store number/price yet, just match it up with an older toy of the same line/class/size/etc & find somebody who works there. Chances are, they'll use their sensible judgment & either sell it to you for that price, or check with a manager for the sake of finding the price. More often than not, if it's in the store, all they'll just have to type the full UPC number into their little gun or computer instead of trying to scan the bar code anyway, and there shouldn't be an issue or need to match it up with an older product.

So in other words, you shouldn't have to worry about finding a new toy, and then not being able to buy it because the cashier can't scan it or because you didn't see a price tag.

... now, if you're asking about whether or not people "should" be able to buy things a little bit earlier, I guess this goes both ways. I mean on one hand, the Wal-Marts of the world are able to get their stuff earlier than smaller businesses because of their superior buying power, and when we can get stuff there sooner than at these smaller places, the smaller places could lose business. This is actually a pretty hot topic when it comes to Yugioh & other cardgames, but mostly because hobby stores that keep the game alive by way of tournament support tend to suffer.

However when it comes to Transformers, would I be wrong in assuming that most of us buy from large retailers & online vendors anyway, oppose to smaller brick & mortar stores? Like, there's a couple of stores in my city that deals in figures, comics, cardgames, and a lot of other hobby related items, but they can't compete with Wal-Mart & Toys R Us when it comes to a lot of currently hot product, so their business direct themselves toward different things that're easier to actually corner.

So the way I see it, Transformers being sold a little early at Wal-Mart isn't hurting my hobby stores any more than Transformers being sold at Wal-Mart in general are.

3. jerminator

jerminator Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Hell, 2009, a week before the big release, I happened to see a ROTF robot heroes set on the shelf at my local Wal-Mart. Took it to the register, along with a Universe one, and of course, it wasn't in teh system yet. It rang up "Do not sell" or "recalled" or something like that. Me and my wife tried to talk sensibly to the cashier, and then the manager, but no dice. My then 2 year old son even put on the waterworks to no avail. That heartless wench wasn't coming off of them at all. So I guess experiences may vary due to store, managers, cashiers, etc.

4. TrueNomadSkies

News Credits:
    I guess you're right, as they could very well take those "do not sell" messages to heart, as they technically should for contractual reasons & whatnot. I guess I've just been luckier than I thought when it came to buying new/old product like that, especially at big retailers. With that being said, another option that I can think of would be to see if you can pay for it ahead of time, and then have it held until they're legally able to release it to you, or even to simply have it put on hold. I've never tried doing this at Wal-Mart before, but I think it's worth asking if you really want something, but are unable to buy it on the spot after trying the stuff we brought up.

It's just that for me (my retail background aside) it's really hard to justify having a customer willing to buy something & willing to take the extra steps in order to make the purchase while keeping civil, and then flat out telling them to go away because the computer tells me I can't sell something that both of us know is physically fit to be on the shelf. To me, that's just bad customer service.

5. The Dark Seeker

The Dark Seeker TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    It makes it that much worse when stockers are putting them up on the shelves for us to find when they're not supposed to.

6. TrueNomadSkies

News Credits:
    Yeah, that's just stupid, but people make mistakes, so what can you do.

In that situation, one would think that you'd sell the toy to the customer, and then make it a point to take the remaining product off of the shelf & replace it with ones that can be sold as soon as possible. If anything, I'd be surprised for that not to be their standard procedure, since it goes in line with what they're supposed to do with something that's mislabeled by way of an entire hoom/hook being wrongly priced.

7. Oh_Slag

Oh_Slag Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I had the same thing in 2009 at my local Toys R Us. They placed the first 2 waves of the ROTF Legends figures on the pegs. When I took them to the register the system stopped the purchase, but the manager put in an override and said that I shouldn't be penalized for his employees mistake. Doubt that will happen again.

8. JetsAndHeels

JetsAndHeels Banned

How many times is this "mistake" going to happen though? Being a Star Wars collector, I can tell you that I found toys for all the prequel movies early in Walmarts (different ones), and was unable to buy them. We are talking movies that are 3 years apart each. The Transformers movies are 2 years apart, which still doesn't add much credibility to the "mistake" train of thought.

Besides, the boxes are clearly marked as "do not sell before certain date".

9. laststopdmb41

laststopdmb41 Well-Known Member

Here in Louisiana, when ROTF figures were being released...I found them at Wal-Mart, Target and K-Mart at least 7-8 days prior to the release date and none of them would sell them but they would end up right back on the shelves...It drove me crazy..finally, Target put out one or two figures a day about 4 days prior to the release date and no problem purchasing them. Then, I believe Hasbro was having a stroke because they were being placed on the shelves all over the country and they ended up releasing them a day early...anyone else remeber that?