Are Universe 2.0 Sideswipes really selling for $70?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by HoosierDaddy, Aug 16, 2011.

1. HoosierDaddy

HoosierDaddy Decepticon. I'm no hero

News Credits:
    All the buy it nows on ebay have them around the $70 range. Is this an accurate value of him? Was he exceptionally rare or something or is it just that the desire for him has created high demand? Most of the other Universe figs are around the $30-$50 range excluding Ratchet and Ironhide. I'm stunned. I do realize that ebay is a ripoff but still Sideswipe seems to be going for alot more than most others.

I also know that several people will chime in and say I got him for (insert much better price) for him but realistically he seems to be pulling more money on ebay.

He is one of the few that I still need and that sucks. What gives?

2. Ultra BuckNutz

Ultra BuckNutz Sharkticon

News Credits:
    I have been trying to get him too (and his bro). The buy it nows for almost all of the classics is generally higher than what the end bids are. Most I have been following end up in the low to mid $30 range. If you are comfortable in that range, I think you'll have no problem acquiring one.

Note: I am talking loose ones. In package ones do tend to be higher (but by no means $70.

3. Alucard77

Alucard77 Kaon Gladiator Champion

News Credits:
    What you need to do is look at completed listings to see what they are selling for.

The thing that had me fall of a chair today is that the Skywarp/Ultra Magnus pack is selling for $200. That is a completed sale price!

They were going for $60 less then 6 months ago!

4. HoosierDaddy

HoosierDaddy Decepticon. I'm no hero

News Credits:
    Yeah, it's getting crazy!

5. Alucard77

News Credits:
    BTW, they are selling from $30- $50 or $70 on BIN.

classics sideswipe | eBay

My advice, look for lots. At the worse, you can sell the ones you don't want.

6. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Holy Toledo, does anybody want mine? Got him for $20 from China, but I like Red Alert better!

Mine is loose, posed, etc though. Also a minor manufacturing defect gives him a perpetual "quizzical tilt" head and crooked backpack. :lol 

I saw most Universe Deluxes going for 30-40 CAD at TFCon. All the car ones are in demand.

I started Magnus-hunting around 15-16 months ago, and I never saw one go for that low. I would have bought that instantly. I would say $200 is on the high end of normal, considering it's a 2006 store exclusive with TWO figures people drool over.

7. Alucard77

News Credits:
    Are you refering to the FP UM Set? Or are you talking about the regular two pack. I had multiple opportunities to pick up that set at $70. I thought it was to high then. I have only been collecting for 9 months or so.

8. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The two-pack. $70 is higher than $60, but that still strikes me as low at the time that I was looking for it.

These things fluctuate though.

(Fortunately, I lucked into a very good condition CC armor + UM for about $100. Never got the two-pack. Even buying it loose separately would have cost tons.)

9. seali_me

seali_me Buhawi Gabay-Tala

wow. sold mine for 20$ to my buddy.

10. Alucard77

News Credits:
    Yeah, I paid $170 for my set. Ouch at the time. Investment now.

11. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I bought mine for about $30 from someone on here. $70 probably isn't a good deal.

12. Spiderus Prime

Spiderus Prime TFW Spongebob since 2007

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    I'm needing a CHUG Sideswipe,but that too mush.

13. videriant

videriant Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Two pack for less then a $100. You must have had some good hook up.

14. Alucard77

News Credits:
    Nah, I think it is one of those, right time, right place things. Literally 3 times I saw it around $70. Twice on EBay and 1x on the BST. All the time I was like, that is steep. It was early in my collecting days. Now I would be all over that.

15. Rodimus Mike

Rodimus Mike I Drank What?

Ebay:
    I think the reason for the upsurge in price for Classics mostly is because of the movies, these so-called new tf fans find out about TF's,and then go to places like evilbay cause they just gotta have them and end up raising the price to unholy amounts to get it,thereby causing the true fans to either bid higher for it or do without.I just wanna say people shouldn't have to pay 10 times what the figure originally sold for.

And to boot after a few months either A.those same figures end up in a garage sale for $1 or $2 or B.they are torn up beyond repair by little kids when parents are tired of them and go in the garbage.I think TF's are meant to bring happiness and contentment for true fans,not some passing poser that does it just to pass the time.Sorry but this just makes me mad as hell that we have to pay more for the figures thanks to them (clearly sarcasm).Later all.

16. MPrime10

MPrime10 Boomsticks.

Sold mine for $30

17. maximus_73

maximus_73 Well-Known Member

I never found Universe Ratchet. I've been looking him online for a while now. It's always between 50 - 75USD.... thanks god iGear is making one for 110USD. :D 

18. EightiesKid

EightiesKid G1 archivist TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    The Classics line seems to hold its value very well. I missed several releases in 2007 and 2008, missed Ironhide, Ratchet and Hound. They went for around $10 at the time, and now seem to go for around $30-40 for Hound, and $40-55 for Ratchet and Ironhide. So we're talkinga bout triple or quadruple price within four years. That's quite a return. It sucks for those of us that missed out, but it underscores the point that for TF collecitng, you need to stay on top of new releases otherwise you risk having to pay after market prices.

19. EightiesKid

EightiesKid G1 archivist TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I picked up a Universe Ratchet recently, about $50. I'm looking forward to the IGear version. Even at 110, if it is well designed and comes out as great as the initial shots, it will be awesome.

20. Yaujta

Yaujta Not a Bear TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I stopped at a Rite Aid awhile back that had a Sideswipe languishing on the peg for $18. I may have to stop back there to see if he's still available...