Are Transformers Alternators a good seller?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by fun15power, Sep 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fun15power

fun15power Well-Known Member

Are Transformers Alternators a good seller? I'm starting my own home business of selling Transformers Alternators online. First I buy them on Ebay, then I look for anybody interested in buying them from me. I want your opinions on my idea.

2. Hot Shot.

Hot Shot. Giving up on the fiction.

News Credits:
    Transformers in general are worth what they sell for on eBay. Hoarding them off eBay isn't smart financially, and won't win you any affection from the community you're actively attempting to rip off.

3. Omnius

Omnius Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I can't see you making a big enough margin from selling one specific (discontinued) toyline to make a business out of it. Bar a couple of exceptions (which I doubt you'll find on ebay cheap unless you get very lucky), demand for Alternators has dropped significantly in the last couple of years.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2012
  4. SCPrime

SCPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If you are buying stock on ebay then reselling then I doubt you will be able to make money unless on rare chances you find good deals on ebay. Alternators use to be hot items but not so much anymore.

5. fun15power

Other websites

Well then what other websites do you know where I can buy Transformers Alternators?

6. Hot Shot.

News Credits:
    It doesn't matter where you buy them. You aren't going to find used transformers for wholesale prices, and no one is going to overpay for one just because you're selling them.

I recommend you stay out of sales altogether, since you don't seem to grasp the concept of supply and demand.

7. CyberShadow

CyberShadow Wheeljacks Lab

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    So you are going to buy off eBay - a huge market place powered by the competition between buyers - and sell in a closed, local market with less interest and less opportunity for a sellers market?

That sounds like a recipe for losing cash, to me.

8. fun15power

Which TF's are selling?

Which TFs are selling? Are they still in stock?

9. Hot Shot.

News Credits:
    *facepalm*

You know what? Go ahead and throw your money away. You obviously won't listen to reason.

10. fun15power

my plan

I'm not selling in a local market. I'll be selling online, without using Ebay or any other auction website. I'll make youtube videos of what I have. I'll post them on facebook, twitter, my sales thread on this website and any other toy or Transformers forums. Then I give my buyers the instructions on how to pay me. I ask them for there name and shipping address. After I'm paid I ship the toys to the name and address they gave me.

11. Omnius

Omnius Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Have you forecasted profit margins in your business plan?

12. CyberShadow

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    OK... So why wont the buyers just go to eBay and get them cheaper there? Its what I would do.

If you want to run a store, you will need to offer something that buyers cant get easily elsewhere. For most stores, that is buying in bulk and selling individually, but when you are buying from the same channels that your customers can, and having to make some kind of profit on top, you are always going to be more expensive than the regular, established outlets. This means that you are going to have to rely on either your reputation, or finding that rare sweet deal to make an overhead on, which is unreliable.

13. Peter Bazooka

Peter Bazooka Monsterbot

I for one think this is a foolproof plan that you should start up immediately. However alternators are old news and alternity is the new hotness. Start hitting up all the usual spots like BBTS for their supply of those. Sit on them for a year or two and then do your youtube magic and bam the profits will start rolling in.

Perhaps you should invest in botshots as well. I also see Bumblebee making a comeback in the last half of the decade so you should stock up on all the different variations.

14. Big Dawg

Big Dawg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I agree. If you want to make good profit margins, find a wholesale contact in China that deals with third party companies. Buy them in bulk. then resell them on a website for profit (btw, the margins are razor tin even when running the business from home... there's a reason we don't all just go out and open online toy stores)

15. fun15power

Better than Ebay

I'm not running a store. I'm selling online without using Ebay or any other auction websites. I don't have to pay any fees. With me buyers won't have to wait for an auction to end. All they have to do is pay me by sending money to me through PayPal as a gift and give me their name and shipping address. I package things much better and ship a lot faster than those sellers on Ebay.

16. Omnius

Omnius Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    How about filing taxes?

17. juise

juise TFW2005 Token Negro

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I looked at your videos on youtube. Selling Alternators that you bought on ebay is a bad idea!

However you could offer a customizing service to collectors. You did a very good job on your MP Rodimus.

P.S.

I suggest anyone else here check out his youtube videos before going any further.

18. jtscribe

jtscribe Well-Known Member

Please tell me you're not old enough to vote . . .

19. seali_me

seali_me Well-Known Member

The OP asked a simple question. He didn't ask you people to deconstruct his plans...

It use to sell very well. The prices, since a couple of years, have dropped. You can also easily find most of them compared to previous years. if you want to get an idea, check the sales threads.

20. CyberShadow

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    You are missing the point (and I am going to just leave this after this post as it is late in the UK).

Say you buy Alternators Hound for $10. Whatever eBay charge or the seller does, you have to pay $10. So, when you sell this Hound, you will need to charge more than $10. So, your prices will always be more than eBay, and your customers can just go direct to eBay and literally cut out the middle man.

Current business works because I cant go to the distributors for my toys, so I have to buy from retailers. There is literally no way that you can be reliably cheaper than eBay. At best, you can match eBay prices and make no profit, because thats your source too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.