Are transformation videos spoilers?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by ComicGuy89, Jun 19, 2011.

1. ComicGuy89

ComicGuy89 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Video reviewers often show how to transform a Transformer, which I appreciate because they are usually far more helpful than Hasbro's printed instructions.

Nevertheless, do you think watching how to transform a Transformer is considered spoiling yourself, especially before buying the toy? I sometimes feel you lose the thrill of witnessing the great engineering first hand by watching another guy do it. What do you think?

2. GogDog

GogDog Logic's wayward son Veteran

News Credits:
    Personally I prefer to not watch videos before hand. If you already know everything about a toy before you buy it, it does take some of the initial coolness out of it. It's totally up to personal preference though.

3. Deceptijohn

Deceptijohn Metallikato Master

News Credits:
    I will definitely watch a review video that includes transformation before getting a figure in hand. Better to watch someone else damage their unit and learn from their mistakes than do it yourself(I'm looking at you RTS Wreck-Gar's handlebars). I've never considered it to be a spoiler, just researching a purchase like anything else. And no matter how much info I have beforehand, there is always a thrill to handling a new TF.

4. Jetbolt

Jetbolt Maximal Air Commander

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Flickr:
    No, I see it as a tool in different ways. One, the videos can give me ideas on how good or bad the figure is, which if it is bad then I can pass it. Two, I like to know what I'm doing before I try it. The instructions that comes with figures are annoying sometimes as they are just drawings. The videos gives me a real life point of view, removing the chance of me screwing something up and maybe breaking it.

5. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

I never open up instructions, and more often than not I watch videos of a toy weeks or months before buying it. So neither really affect my opinion of a figure.

6. daelite20

daelite20 autobots

News Credits:
    I think watching a video review is a good tool. The instructions are not very good on describing how to transform the figure. Also, even though you see the figure getting transform, it's a better experience when you do it urself.

7. Spiderus Prime

Spiderus Prime TFW Spongebob since 2007

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    I'm like to watch reviews,and they can help me how to transform the toy.

8. anotheran

anotheran Old skooler

I watch up to 1/2 then skip to the 3/4 part so i don't spoil the transformation part.

If you don't want to spoil it, skip it.

9. Dinobot747

Dinobot747 Chopperface

News Credits:
    I watch as many reviews as I can before a purchase (or at least before opening a figure). I'm just afraid of blowing my money on a craptastic toy.

10. Noideaforaname

Noideaforaname Pico, let's go up to Zuma

News Credits:
    I like to discover the transformation for myself, so I avoid videos, photo galleries, and, in some cases, the back of the package itself that spoil the surprise.
    If I get stumped on a part and the provided instructions don't help (i.e. 07 Leader Megatron's legs in "jet" mode), then I'll look at videos/galleries/reviews, though that's a rare occurrence.

11. ComicGuy89

ComicGuy89 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That's pretty much what I usually do, sometimes I just leave the video running in the background while I focus on other things so that at least I can catch warnings or problems with the transformation through the audio.

12. process

process Hanlon's razor Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It's a double edged sword. Watching video reviews tends to dampen my enthusiasm upon receiving the toy, but they're the most comprehensive way to evaluate whether a toy is worth buying.

13. TFormerfan

TFormerfan Maximal

Maybe for some people but not me

14. Optimus1138

Optimus1138 Minecraft Addict

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I do think of them as being spoilers. I always skip over the transformation parts in video reviews (I don't watch video reviews all that often anyways, though). Part of the reason I skip the transformations is that they're usually rather boring, though.

15. Ricky_Stream

Ricky_Stream Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:

This!!

16. Blitzwing2008

Blitzwing2008 DJD

Ebay:
    agreed especially in today's markets of raising prices

17. Ribieconvoy

Ribieconvoy It's pronounced "ribby"

News Credits:
    Sometimes I watch reviews, sometimes I don't. When it comes to legends sized figs, I generally don't watch reviews, but anything that costs more than that? I want to see if this thing is worth it or not before I buy it.

18. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I only watch videos if I have a super hard time transforming the toy. For example I couldn't get Sentinel Prime transformed right at all and I didn't know that I needed to put his arms in his legs before I looked at a video.

When watching videos/reviews before getting the figure I skip the transformation part for sure. (ie, what anotheran said) Transforming it the first time myself is part of the entertainment in buying a figure.

19. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I treat them as spoilers, as part of my "opening ritual" is figuring out how to transform a figure without using the instructions. If I know beforehand, then I've cheated.

20. MisterFanwank

MisterFanwank Toy Industry Analyst

News Credits:
    I watch as many video reviews as I can beforehand. In this way, I download into my brain a virtual version of the figure I can play with until I have the real thing.