Are toys smaller now?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Lazerwave, May 14, 2011.

1. Lazerwave

Lazerwave My Most Prized Treasure

News Credits:
    Ok, there is this really stupid store, it's more of a Ross store than a Department store. When the first movie came out they left a box of wave 1 voyagers containing Blackout and Ratchet. I went today and they had the DOTM toys already out.

I picked up a Voyager Ironhide and a Deluxe Roadbuster. The leftovers are now Bumblebee, Skids, voyager Optimus and a few legends. I'm already working on equipping Roadbuster with Star wars guns and wires. I've already finished, but I need one more piece, a car motor, but it's coming in the mail. After I might post pictures.

Back to topic, I've noticed that Roadbuster is shorter than a regular Deluxe Bumblebee and Ironhide is like near the size of a deluxe figure from before. Has Hasbro started making their toys smaller?

2. guard convoy

guard convoy The Big Daddy

News Credits:
    hasbro has stated that the DOTM toys are a bit smaller to make up for the mechtech weapons, so yes, they are smaller

3. LightningZERO

LightningZERO The Alternity

News Credits:
    This is something I don't understand. Does Mech Tech really uses up so much plastic? Mech Tech doesn't really look that oversized and bigger than conventional weapons included

4. Torque

Torque The WORDSMITH

News Credits:
    all the gears and levers and springs and blades all add to the cost too

5. Timesynch

Timesynch Is a Bad Hombre!

News Credits:
    I'm guessing they divided the cost of plastic, tooling, and R&D between the figures and the Mech Tech accessories. So now the figures themselves are smaller to balance out the cost so consumers (ie. kids and parents) can still afford to buy them. You're also forgetting that Mech Tech weapons are more complex and articulated (for better or worse) than standard plastic weapons, so that probably eats into the cost of everything else.

6. x BlackMagnus x

x BlackMagnus x Is not impressed

News Credits:
    No. Your hands are swollen. Possible infection. Seek medical attention ASAP.

Seriously though, because of the Mech Tech, figures are smaller.

7. Axel990

Axel990 Lord of Unicorns

News Credits:
    I really don't mind the smaller sizes.

I'm someone who worries constantly about maintaining some scale amongst my movie-verse collection. I currently have Battle Blades Voyager OP as my Optimus in my collection. He has great accuracy and is basically a smaller version of ROTF OP. As for his vehicle mode, he is definately small compared to the rest of the Autobots. I'm a bit nervous about how he compares to TF1 Ironhide and Ratchet, and I recently ordered their new DOTM versions off Wal-Mart. I saw Peaugh's review for both characters, which helped me relax about their size. DOTM Ironhide is definately smaller than the ROTF version, and so that'll help out when his alternate form stands sits next to Optimus's truck mode. I just hope that DOTM Ironhide in bot mode is not too much bigger than DOTM Ratchet in bot mode. Does anyone have a comparison of this they could show me? I'd highly appreciate it!

I do hate how Hasbro removed Ironhide's normal arm cannons to replace them with the Mech-Tech weapon, which itself has too many bells and whistles for Ironhide.

8. amethysted

amethysted Well-Known Member

Only when they come packaged with giant craptastic Mechtech guns.

Who wants to pay 20 bucks for a 12 dollar TF?

They can keep the gun. I just want a well designed Voyager figure...

9. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    It's a combination of the complexity of the Mechtech weapons, the extra plastic they take-up, and the cost of producing plastic going nowhere but up these days.

10. Timesynch

Timesynch Is a Bad Hombre!

News Credits:
    I'm not too concerned about scale as far as DOTM figures since I'll probably only pick up Powerglide, Shockwave, and Thundercracker (and the inevitable G1 Starscream and Skywarp repaints - I'm such a G1 Seeker whore).

That said, I hate Mech Tech and its wonky, over-sized aesthetics and dumb gimmicks. IMHO, it only works for Shockwave and Megatron but that's only because those two are supposed to have giant freaking cannons attached to their arms as part of their transformations.

11. Dran0n

Dran0n Junk male

News Credits:
    Thanks to fabulous MechTech.

12. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    No. The same amount of money's worth is there, but depending on how it's distributed, it can make them shorter or taller.

13. Ratchets Hatch

Ratchets Hatch Explosions?

News Credits:
    I just picked up DotM Megatron! :D  :D  :D  :D 

I have to admit, his vehicle mode is smaller than I expected. Still, he's a fantastic figure, and his robot mode is where he truly shines. He's standard height for a voyager, but less bulky than the ones from previous lines.

DotM figures are smaller because of the additional mass in the MechTech weapons and also because of the extra moving parts that the weapons utilize. Personally, I'm okay with smaller figures as long as their quality isn't reduced. So far, I haven't been disappointed.

14. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh Mostly Harmless

News Credits:
    Yep, I've only got megatron so far and he's an outstandingly well engineered figure. Also looks much better in hand than the photos led me to believe. I mean... the guy's trailer rotates. And they're the robot's legs! How amazing is that.

In robot mode, he looks very well with my older decepticon voyagers and deluxes. (he's my first movieverse megs, so they finally get a leader!) Also megatron at least is one example of good Mechtech implementation (it's part of the truck and his fusion cannon)

I can understand the size complaints but design-wise these a lot of these figures are excellent.

15. Axel990

Axel990 Lord of Unicorns

News Credits:
    I've gotten Roadbuster, Crankcase and Sideswipe.

I just placed an order on Wal-Mart's website last night for DOTM Ironhide, Megatron, and Ratchet.

Having them delivered to a Wal-Mart by my parent's condo in Florida so I may enjoy them during my vacation. Also looking to pick uo Leader Sentinel or Voyager Shockwave while I'm down there.

Definately. Hasbro has definately reduced the amount of kibble in a lot of these toys. Crankcase has next to none. His only issue in bot mode are the pincers. Sideswipe stands perfectly because the back kibble is minimal and doesn't affect the toy's posture. Roadbuster is questionable, but his backpack stays fit in one place and doesn't flop around. I'm amazed at how slim DOTM Megatron is. I was starting to think that people were just removing kibble when he was put into robot mode, but all the pieces are still there.

16. KnightHawkke

KnightHawkke A Man, Who Does Not Exist. TFW2005 Supporter

Well, at least they didn't suddenly become half sized.. like some other toy lines..

17. UnicronFTW

UnicronFTW Don't blink.

News Credits:
    The engineering that goes into making the MechTech weapons is a vampire to the budget. Er go, smaller figures.

18. UnicronFTW

UnicronFTW Don't blink.

News Credits:
    What toyline?

19. KnightHawkke

KnightHawkke A Man, Who Does Not Exist. TFW2005 Supporter

Marvel stuff, while I am sure it wasn't all that sudden for actual collectors of that line, for the untrained eye it was kinda poof right around Iron man 2 I think.

20. Ratchets Hatch

Ratchets Hatch Explosions?

News Credits:
    That's exactly what I thought when I first transformed him. :lol 

I agree. The engineering on him is phenomenal. He's definitely the best voyager in wave 1.