Are there some good KO toys?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by MaxLinden, Sep 11, 2010.

1. MaxLinden

MaxLinden Auto-Con

News Credits:
    I am looking at KOTOYS.COM.... Some of these look better then the real toy.... (SOME NOT ALOT).... But anywho the question is.... Are there any good KOs worth getting?

2. cuad

cuad VOK EMISSARY

News Credits:
    According to their forums, the KO MP Prime is pretty good.

But in my opinion, for the toys I want, the shipping costs pretty much nullify any savings.

3. MaxLinden

MaxLinden Auto-Con

News Credits:
    I heard the Classic Oversized KO Galvatron is amazing.

4. silverstreak70

silverstreak70 Well-Known Member

I picked up a complete set of Dinobots from them. I liked them better than the originals that I had, and except for the fact that the KO's were newer, shinier, I couldn't tell the difference. Also picked up a ko mirage cheaper than what I could get an original for, in awesome shape. I've found that usually, the ones that they say are high quality are just that.

5. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh Mostly Harmless

News Credits:
    I remember having some smaller sized KO dinobots (I assume they were KOs) many years ago. They were die cast, had excellent quality, and strangely Slag had more spikes in his horns (weird).

6. Tigermegatron

Tigermegatron Banned

for the price the KO MP Prime is going for. anyone could have bought either Hasbro version for a similar price. when it kept getting clearanced in price.

7. cuad

cuad VOK EMISSARY

News Credits:
    Yep.

8. Tigermegatron

Tigermegatron Banned

I would HIGHLY recommend everyone buy the high quality KO versions of G-1 Cyclonus & Scourge.

I don't reccommend anyone buy the KO G-1 dinobots. the KO company is too cheap to properly apply more paint to the diecast metal parts. resulting in the diecast metal parts having a extremly thin white wash of colors on the diecast parts. also the KO company just shoves the toys in the boxes. apparently there too cheap to use enough/more glue & don't properly seal the toys right on their inner cardboard bubble things. resulting in figures that look like they were opened up & played with inside the box. FORGET ABOUT TRYING TO RESEAL the figures inside the boxes back on to the cardboard blister card bubbles. because a special glue is needed other than a glue stick, no crazy glue nor paste glue. trying to reseal the half opened up figures looks 100 times worse than before. NEEDLESS TO SAY I SOLD ALL 5 OF MY KO G-1 DINOBOTS ON ebay just to get rid of them.

I haven't bought any high quality KO G-1 scramble city combiners that come packaged in gift set boxes. I have however read on-line reviews that these toys are a few levels below the real liscensed toy quality & a few meager levels above the extremly cheap KO combiners released 10+ years ago.

KO G-1 high quality metroplex & metrotitian honestly look like great KO toys. other than the white colors being more white compared to the original. HOWEVER with the encore Liscensed G-1 Metroplex out there,you might as well spend $10 to $20 bucks more for the real thing. like noted by others the international shipping fees eat up any savings you save on the KO toys.

I'd highly reccommend everyone buying the EXTREMLY HIGH quality KO Binal tech toys that come with diecast metal parts. some of them look like there must gets. like KO Binaltech tf 2007 movie barricade,various other sports decaled BT KO toys that can easily pass for stunticons. a KO BT black hummer that some TF fans call Trailbreaker. KO BT nemesis convoy with or without the box,most have him with no box because the KO company was too cheap to make a box and so forth.

I don't reccomend anyone buying the KO alternators toys with no diecast metal parts. because they look like pure garbage & short cuts were taken to save money.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2010
  9. mac&cheese

mac&cheese Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    i think the superion is shorter than the real g1 version? is that true? other than that the rest seems prtty good quality.

10. Josh

Josh Comic Color-guy

News Credits:
    ive heard good reviews on the KO Defensor and Menasor gift sets so i'm awful tempted to get those

if the quality's good i just might get KO Computron

good to hear someone recommends KO Cyclonus as he's another i'm looking at

11. motorhead9999

motorhead9999 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The Prehistory Dinobots I would recommend. For KOs, they were I think of excellent quality and durability. The nicest thing though was that there were some pretty damn cool mold changes that they made which really made them stand out. Sludge in particular, as it even had wings! (Don't worry, in the context of the toy it looks really great).

I think that for the most part in general, most of the KOs that were made in the 80s actually had decent quality. It felt mostly like they were being made in the same factories as the original figures were, almost a sort of situation where Takara said "Make me 2000 of these" and the company made 2500 instead, and decided to sell the extra 500 with some stuff on their own. I don't know. Toys from the 80s were a different breed. Diecast and chrome was everywhere, even on the KOs. Now, its all about how cheap can you get the plastic for them.

12. cossierolle

cossierolle Member

i've ordered cyclonus and shockwave from a guy on ioffer, im eager to see if the quality is as good as my KO mirage. waiting to receive them this week.

13. grimster

grimster Well-Known Member

I have scourge, devastator, defensor and metrotitan KO, and the quality on those are good. I got them off ebay, so im not sure if its the same ones as KO toys sell, but if they are, they are worth getting. Like stated in another thread, KO metrotitan is rather pink instead of red, but it still looks good next to G1 metroplex.

14. Prime Noble

Prime Noble Well-Known Member

I have the oversized Tankor/Octane from KOToys. Head is slightly different but he's the size of G1 Ultra Magnus in bot and truck form. Getting a friend to repaint him for me.

I have oversized Bruticus. He's what all G1 combiners should be. Again, Onslayght is the size of G1 Magnus. Only thing is that the shoulder joints on Blast Off and Vortex are very fragile. Vortex broke the first time I transformed him but blue tack has fixed him.

The oversized Robotmasters are nice too. Wingstun looks great with Acid Storm and Wrecker Hook stands nicely intimidating over G1 Prowl and co.

While not KO's as such, the custom heads for G1 Ratchet and Ironhide really improve the toy. Wouldn't touch Ironhide for years but now with the head, I rarely put him down.

The KO white Predacons and grey Quake are nice too.

Also have Scout size versions of Hot Shot/Excillion and Movie Barricade that are nice though again I'm getting them repainted.

The WST combiners and Seekers are good too.

Toyhell is another great site for KO's. I got an oversized Micromaster Build King that's as tall as Energon Omega Supreme and got him repainted as Energon Devestator.

15. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
  16. jamspeed

jamspeed is so beast!

Ebay:
    I have a knock off Starscream/Diaclone, that was sold as "Kingdam" or something and he does look as good as the original. Got it from a flea market in the mid 80's, of course I did not know what a knock off was back then. It even came with a little pilot. I might have to compare the two side by side at some point.

17. payton34

payton34 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The KO Shockwave is excellent quality. The only difference between it and the original is that the battery compartment ever so slightly smaller.

The oversized G1 Soundwave is also pretty nice, and it's already MP scale for those who want to customize it (although it's the double-tape deck version, and not the "flat chested" one).

18. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

I have the G1 KO Shockwave as well and it is quite nice. Only problem is the crappy material they used for the hose.
    G1 Sunstreaker is okay, but his tires came cracked in half ready to fall off the rims.
    G1 Wheeljack is okay, but his feet are hard to separate sometimes and the pegs can pop loose.
    G1 Mirage is perfect.
    Tempted to get KO Cyclonus and Scourge as well.

19. Razorclaw

Razorclaw Are ya gonna draw pistols

REALLY BIG majority of KOs and bootlegs from the '80s and the first half of the '90s were awesome in quality, with most of them being on the same level as the originals. Especialy "Made in Taiwan" ones. I have G1 Sandstorm, G1 Scrapper, G1 Skydive and Fireflight, all taiwanese ones, and apart from missing the rubsign, I couldn't tell them apart from the originals.

20. CETERUS PRIME

CETERUS PRIME Well-Known Member

I've read lots of positive feedback on the KO Devastator giftset Zhong Jin version, some even say it's better than the original. Also the KO Shockwave has been getting mostly good reviews. I'm probably going to order these on ioffer as well.