Are there pre-rub versions of everything in the 1985 catalog?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by mweeuser, Mar 8, 2010.

1. mweeuser

mweeuser Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I know I've seen several about cars that were in the 1985 catalog that were pre-rub
    but was everything in that catalog released without a rub symbol? I'm particularly interested in the dinobots as I can't seemed to find any that were pre-rub. But if anyone know's a resource that list them all I would be interested in what was and wasn't
    released without a rub symbol.

Thanks!

2. mweeuser

News Credits:
    anyone know info or where there is some info on the 1985 catalog pre-rubs? contstructicons, dinobots, insecticons, etc.

3. PoweredConvoy

PoweredConvoy Randy of the Allspark

News Credits:
    I believe everything released in 1985 came with the rub signs only. But don't quote me on that.

Randy

4. jamiebrayley

jamiebrayley Well-Known Member

There were a few items that were initially available in pre rub such as tracks and skids. However most were only released as rub sign. The confusion comes from the fact that a lot of the toys (construtcicons, dinobots and insecticons for example) came with boxes marked with a tradmark (TM) symbol which on series 1 was representitive of pre rub releases. I think Might Gaine said there were pre rub dinobots but I am not sure.......

5. chugway

chugway ming mong ping pong

Plus there were the diaclone dinos, and a whole raft of KOs just to confuse matters further.

6. Solrac333

Solrac333 G1 got it right!

Ebay:
    I think I remember the commercial that introduces the rub sigh.

7. Da_Last_2_Walk

Da_Last_2_Walk Da King Of Pre Rubs TFW2005 Supporter

In 1984, only the first 28 pre rubs were released without rubsigns. In 1985, all Transformers were released with rubsigns, including the series 1 re-issues.

There are some series 2 Transformers that came in a TM box: Skids, Shockwave, Dinobots, Insecticons, Constructicons & Jump Starters. However, these first release series 2 figures all came with rubsigns. Except for an error from the factory, I've never seen a series 2 pre rub.

Here are the 28 pre rubs:
    Brawn
    Bumblebee (Yellow)
    Bumblebee (Red)
    Cliffjumper (Red)
    Cliffjumper (Yellow)
    Bumblejumper
    Huffer
    Windcharger
    Gears
    Wheeljack
    Trailbreaker
    Ironhide
    Ratchet
    Hound
    Mirage
    Sunstreaker
    Jazz
    Sideswipe
    Bluestreak
    Prowl
    Optimus Prime
    Ravage/Rumble
    Frenzy/Laserbeak
    Skywarp
    Thundercracker
    Starscream
    Soundwave
    Megatron

8. TheSpacebridge

TheSpacebridge The Spacebridge TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I have prototype Deluxe insecticon boxes for 1984 so some 85 stuff was planned for 84

It's also worth remembering allot of the UK Gold Series classics in the 1990s had no rubsigns (Including the dinobots) and allot of people have been known to swap these sealed inserts into G1 boxes to create fake sealed pre rub toys, it was a real problem around Botcon 1998/1999

9. mweeuser

News Credits:
    really... I have a red alert with no rub symbol. Now I know it could have just been removed but there is no evidence of it and if you follow fred's variant stuff the sideswipe/red alert mold has notches under the feet. The red alert I have has the earliest mold based on Fred's info. Plus, we know from Fred's that skids was released in 84 and I have seen Skids for sale on ebay that have no symbol (again I know it could have just been removed but the more evidence of something the less likely it's just a tamper issue) I find it hard to believe that none of the 1985 catalog came without rubsymbols but I'm curious others thoughts.

Thanks

10. chugway

chugway ming mong ping pong

i've got a pre-rub soundwave, unfortunately whilst his tape door works still, he's scuffed to buggery making his IRL value about a fiver. he's currently propping up skeletor on the random nostalgia shelf.

but if he's not been shagged up, would being pre-rub significantly increase his value? or is it a moot point on loose toys?

11. Da_Last_2_Walk

But does your Red Alert have a pre rub sticker in place of the rubsign sticker? Is your Red Alert MISB? If your Red Alert is loose, the rubsign sticker can easily be taken off. Goo Gone can be used to clean up any sticker residue.

Skids was released in the later part of 1984, when the 1985s were starting to come out. Skids is technically a series 2 car, that was release with both a TM & ® box. Skids was packaged with a rubsign sticker. Was the Skids you saw without a rubsign sticker MISB? Again, if the Skids was loose, the rubsign sticker can easily be taken off.

There are no 1985 series 2 pre rubs. I challenge anybody to show a picture of a MISB figure from 1985 without a rubsign sticker and with a pre rub sticker. I only know of one factory error Shockwave that was packaged without a rubsign. However, this Shockwave does NOT have a pre rub sticker in the place where the rubsign should be, in fact, there is no sticker at all.

12. jamiebrayley

So there isnt a pre-rub tracks ad skids? Thats cool to know :) 

13. Da_Last_2_Walk

Nope!

Anybody have a picture of a MISB Skids or Tracks with a pre rub sticker?!

14. mweeuser

News Credits:
    I realize the possibility of removal as I mentioned, there is no sticker on my redalert where the rub symbol goes, the roof. But nevertheless I just wanted more discussion, if there really are none in 85 that were pre-rub then my hunting just got a lot smaller, bonus!

15. Da_Last_2_Walk

Well, that being said, one can make every loose Transformer from 1984-1987 a pre rub by simply removing the rubsign sticker. Unless there is a pre rub sticker, I wouldn't assume a loose Transformer is a pre rub based on not having a rubsign sticker.

Discussion for this topic is good, as long as you receive correct information, which is what I tried to provide.

Are you a fellow pre rub collector? Good luck with your hunting, that's the fun part! If you have any other questions regarding pre rubs, let me know.

16. Killa-B-Killed

Killa-B-Killed Material Handler

Just curious.....Are you suggesting that it would be mandatory for Hasbro to place an Autobot/Decepticon symbol sticker where the rub symbol would have went?

17. mweeuser

News Credits:
    Pretty much, I am very into the first variant, so I frequent fred's site. About 4 months ago I completed all 3 1984 seekers with the solid/short pegged versions, the thundercracker is the very first with no stamp and marks on the main wing tips where they were manually cut/sanded after molding. I guess I just appreciate the originals. I've also started collecting diaclone/microman too.

18. megamus

megamus Overworked and Underpaid Veteran

News Credits:
    Just adding my 2cents. I love the seekers and now that you are getting into the Diaclone line you will find a lot of changes. Make sure when you get them you check the accessories for the differences. Good luck

19. Arkvander

Arkvander Optimal Optimist TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    Nice.

20. jamiebrayley

Hey bro, I dont think hasbro always put a rub sticker where a pre rub used to sit (like with soundwave)? Would be great to have a definitive answer to this :)