Are there knock-off Kabaya toys?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by CrockAlley, Apr 21, 2012.

1. CrockAlley

CrockAlley Gween donkey! Mine!

I never really thought too much about Transformer KOs before. It seemed like most of the KOs were G1 molds, which I'm not likely to buy from Ebay, or those super crazy discount chain store things that are really obviously not real.

But recently, I've been looking into Super Mario PVCs and candy toys (American and Japanese). There's tons and tons of bootleg stuff coming out of Hong Kong. So much so that I'm afraid to buy anything Mario-related on the internet. There's even bootlegs on Amazon and Ebay of new toys that haven't reached retail yet!

So while searching for Gaia Guardian and Hot Spot today, I started thinking, how safe is it to buy Kabaya stuff off Ebay? That seems like perfect bootleg fodder. Am I being too paranoid?

2. blunghole

blunghole The Tapeworm of Unicron!

News Credits:
    There are KO Kabaya toys, but (in my experience) they are pretty easy to spot. The colors are usually off and the sprues often have plenty of flash to trim off. I have a KO red and white Kabaya Quickswitch around here someplace and a KO Kabaya Landcross in neon colors.

3. engledogg

engledogg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Nope, you're not being too paranoid. While I can't speak for the candy (non-kit) toys or recent Kabaya stuff, there are plenty of KOs of vintage Kabaya kits out there.

Here's one:

Transformers G1 wst smallest Kabaya Liokaiser + Breastforce Japanese Japan MISB | eBay

While they do put the disclaimer "Japanese G1 Kabaya For Chinese market in the 1990s - Quality is lacking around 10% to original which costs around 300 usd per set. ", they don't outright say it's a KO.

To confuse the matter, they're using a pic of the official Kabaya toy (and double-checking, it's from the resources section at 2005 - Liokaiser (Gum) - G1 Kabaya - TFW2005) and then showing a pic of the actual KO kit (which appears to have been borrowed from one of Might Gaine's old auctions).

I get that they're just trying to show what the built model kit will look like, but if someone weren't paying attention, they might think they're buying the real deal. And, judging by that final price (~$30), it seems someone did think they might be getting the official kit. Of course, that's on them since they should read the description...anyhow, getting back to the original topic.

Yep, there are a ton of KO Kabaya kits out there. I've purchased a bunch of them from Might Gaine (a user on here) when he was clearancing them out on eBay (labeled clearly as KOs and priced as such) years ago.

I picked up Metroplex, Galvatron, Landcross, Soundwave, Blitzwing, and a ton of others back in the day. On most, the quality ranged from decent to nearly-identical to the official kit. One good thing that I've noticed is that they're released in non-official colors (sorta like the Liokaiser auction above), so if you see one that doesn't match the colors of the official one, that's likely a KO.

I googled this site and he shows off a bunch of them:

My KO Transformers & Etc: Update - KO Kabaya Kits #3

Hope this helps,
    MIKE
    engledogg

4. CrockAlley

CrockAlley Gween donkey! Mine!

Thanks for the info. Very thorough, engledogg!

5. vm-01

vm-01 Well-Known Member

Man I bought one of those Liokaisers and the plastic had actually melted on the Leozac figure. :(