Are there any good DVD recorders out there?

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Human Beastbox, Jan 12, 2009.

1. Human Beastbox

Human Beastbox The Murdinator

News Credits:
    Hello all.

First off, a bit of a rant:

This morning when I went to turn on my DVD player to watch a disc whilst I drank my morning coffee, my new Panasonic DVD recorder (3 months old) decided that it will no longer read any disc of any kind! :mad 

This is the second recorder of a different brand I've had in a years time and they have both been garbage, really. My first was an RCA VHS/DVD recorder combo. It died after 8 months. Now--THIS nicer Panasonic!

So my question to any of you fellow fans is this: Are there any quality DVD recorders out there that don't die suddenly after less than a year? After reading so many negative reviews on video forums, there seems to be no shortage of negative things to be said about every brand. Do they all suck?

And furthermore, for those here who may have a Region-free DVD player, what's a good one? I'd love to watch some of those TF: Headmasters and Victory DVD sets from the UK.

Any input would be much appreciated. Help a fellow TF fan out, I'm running out of ideas (obviously).:D 

2. GW_Freak

GW_Freak Banned

3. Human Beastbox

News Credits:
  4. Drake

Drake Smooth Is Smooth Baby

Don't ever buy an RCA product. They are absolute garbage. My last VCR was an RCA and it almost caught on fire.

Do some research on this forum. www.avsforum.com
    I know there a few out there that have problems recording certain material.

5. Pimpimus Prime

Pimpimus Prime (┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐) TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I've had two Lite-On DVD recorders for a couple of years now. Both still work, even under the (ab)use of my children.

6. Soundwave84

Soundwave84 Banned

News Credits:
    I think mine is a Samsung bad part is when i record stuff i can only be viewed on taht VCR dont know what is up with that one

7. Human Beastbox

News Credits:
    That sounds pretty annoying, unless you really only watch stuff on your player.

I'm seriously considering buying some cheap piece of crap DVD recorder from Best Buy, purchasing the extended warranty, and then just swapping the thing out every time it breaks. I'm losing all faith in any semblance of quality from the big brands. I swear that's exactly what I'll do if my Panasonic comes back and it still doesn't work.

8. Toyzaremine

Toyzaremine Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I got one of the first gen pioneer DVDR and it died not more than about a year of use, I currently use a sony that is working okay but even with it I get a few hiccups from time to time.

9. hXcpunk23

hXcpunk23 The Chaos Bringer

Ebay:
    I've had no problems with my Panasonic DMR-E30. I picked it up at Circuit City (in Fort Walton Beach, Florida) back in 2003. They were sold out of them, but they sold me the display model and told me if I had any problems, I could return it within so many days. I believe I paid around $350 and change, while the "new" boxed ones were around $500-$600 at the time.

Well, honestly I can't say I've had NO problems, but it had to do with a small tab on the DVD tray that slides out (it broke off and I had to take it apart and super glue it). This was about 2 years ago and the recorder has been working perfectly since day one of my purchasing it.

Here's a link to the one I have and a link to the specs:

Panasonic DMR-E30

Panasonic DMR-E30 Specs

I still use this DVD recorder to this day to record from DirecTV, to copy my home movies/VHS/camcorder stuff, and I also use it as a DVR with my DVD-RAM discs. I can record shows, pause during them, and pick up where I left off while it still records. It also has a nice commercial-skip button on the remote that allows you to skip commercials on the shows you record (I believe it skips a minute at a time and most commercials range from 2-3 minutes in length). I'm not sure if you'd still be able to find this out there anywhere, but it has honestly outlived most other DVD players and electronics that I've owned. One of the best things about it is the ability to use the DVD-RAM as a DVR (similar to a built-in hdd), so that you can record, watch, then delete and go at it again. Another great aspect is the ability to record on Dual Layer DVD's. It has quite a few inputs and outputs, such as coax cable (for old antenna/cable), S-Video, Component, and Composite.

The only drawbacks:

1) Can't play PAL (and I've been searching for a hack for years for this--but I gave up years ago)
    2) Can't record DVD+R, only -R, RAM, and Dual Layer
    3) Cable channels only go up to 120 on this player, but you can set it to an input and just keep using your Satellite or Cable remotes and channels.

10. Dormamu

Dormamu I am Broot.

News Credits:
    I've had my Samsung since Black Friday 2 years back, picked it up from Circuit City for $110. Been an exceptional DVD Recorder.

They're so cheap right now, I would suggest that as long as it has Divx playback, go as cheap as you want, unless you want some of the bigger audio and video options.