Are there any figures you regret not picking up?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by NGW, Sep 17, 2016.

1. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    Back when I was living with my ex some years ago, I was kinda held under her thumb a bit as far as my collecting (and well..a lot of other things) was concerned. I skipped out on a lot of figures and a lot of lines almost entirely because of it.

Was looking back through some of the releases and man, there were a few figures I really wanted at the time but never picked up that I'd love to get now but either price or availability just makes it an arduous process.

Stuff like Dark of the Moon Leader Class Ironhide, Reveal the Shield Voyager Class Lugnut, pretty much every figure I wanted out of Age of Extinction save for Voyager Class Hound, which I immediately picked up the next day after I saw the midnight premier.

Sure the AOE stuff probably wouldn't be all that difficult to go and grab, even on the aftermarket those haven't had a chance to get too expensive (save for I guess some of the dinobots). But the earlier movie stuff, forget it.

Also makes me wish the majority of my collection wasn't in storage, god only knows what is living in those boxes now, and I miss my shelf of Animated and movie figures.

2. Yaujta

Yaujta NOT Randy Butternubs. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    -I remember seeing an entire shelf of Cybertron Primus at Walmart for $20 each, but not being interested. When I finally decided I wanted one, it took me ages to find one not ridiculously priced.
    -Saw about four of the black RotF leader Megatron figures on clearance at Kmart, but passed because I didn't like the arm. Damn thing's expensive now.

• Like Like x 2
  3. iacon45

iacon45 Missing: One Custom Title

News Credits:
    One of the big things I regret not getting was the eHobby Anime Accurate G1 Astrotrain when it first hit. It was still pretty reasonable (for an eHobby) when it was first solicited but I didn't have the money at the time. Then when I did, the price was actually pushing around $300 (and I think as high as $500). It's come down to about $200-250 but that is still just a little more than I want to pay. :) 

One of the local Wallys had those Black Repaint Megatons marked down too. I thought it was cool looking but missed out. It's crazy how high that figure has jumped in value.

• Like Like x 1
  4. wildfly

wildfly Formerly the next big thing.

News Credits:
    Movie Masterpiece Starscream.

I resented paying the asking price at the time.

And now that i would pay that price, it costs way more.

Can't win em all.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Maz

Maz Square One TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Quite a few, most of them being commemorative and Takara reissues which were plentiful at the time. Did I really think that was going to last forever?

There were a number of Animated figures I could have saved a stack of money on when I was collecting them by buying all at retail on release.

Most recently, I think MP-9 Rodimus Convoy is one I wish I'd gotten on release.

All the best
    Ma

• Like Like x 1
  6. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    It is pretty crazy just how expensive a lot of the movie stuff has gotten isn't it? It seemed like, despite there being a lot of division over them, the lines sold pretty well. I guess just increased demand over time or something. They really were, IMO, the pinnacle of engineering (sans something like the Masterpiece line) before the steep decline in recent years. Animated too, for providing screen accurate alt and robot modes and even managing accurate transformations despite their overall simplicity (sorta like the polar opposite of the movies, which did similar but were much more complex). I love my leader class Starscream, even if I did break a bit of it my first time transforming him (one of the clips for one of the panels in his chest, that thankfully wasn't anything critical and isn't even a visible break on him), it really did earn the masterpiece title for its Japanese release.

I do wish I had managed to get the few TRU exclusive Animated figures I needed, since I had the entire mainline for the series otherwise, but that was more not finding them at retail than it was passing on picking them up.

I also opted against picking up a voyager Treadshot, instead getting Animated Swoop. While I am really happy with Swoop, I never saw Treadshot at retail again (pretty sure I saw Swoop after that), and that was a mold I was always interested in owning.

7. usernamedustin

usernamedustin 3P Scourgatron KO. Has Die-Cast and Ankle-Tilts.

I regret not picking up more Prime figures when they were all at Big Lots for $5.

8. SunSwipe5

SunSwipe5 Twin Hellion Masters Of Jet Judo

Takara MP Starscream.

Takara Transformers Animated Elite Guard Bee

9. joespags15

joespags15 Well-Known Member

Platinum Omega Supreme off Amazon. Had it in my cart forever and always pushed it aside. Then one day it was only available 3P at $200.

10. StrifeZ

StrifeZ Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    TRU Masterpiece Thundercracker. Dumb, dumb, dumb not picking him up. He shelf warmed for so long.

11. EarthGBilly

EarthGBilly Sucker for a GERWALK Mode

With the re-release of MP Soundwave, my biggest regret is taken care of, but there are always those figures that you wish you'd picked up but didn't for one reason or another. The 2014 Botcon Ginrai repaint of the Classics Optimus mold is likely the biggest one for me now. I have every version of that mold released except for that and Cloud Optimus. Cloud Optimus is regret-ish, but there isn't enough of a difference between him and the original to really make me want him.

I fear that a couple of current toys are going to end up that way for me. Either they came out and sold out before I had a chance to realize I wanted them, or they are pricey and I'm experiencing a low-tide moment financially. I have a list of figures, and I'm working down through the list, but I keep self-sabotaging by picking up unbelievable deals, because I know I'd regret it if I didn't. It does keep pushing the items on that list farther and farther away, though.

12. grindcore138

grindcore138 Handsome like an F-22

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    Arms Micron Breakdown. I recently sold the majority of my Prime collection but I still really want one. Could've had one on eBay for £40 a few years ago, which I'd have no problem paying now, but it was when I'd first started collecting and that seemed expensive to me. What a fool I was.

13. Latooni

Latooni "HIDOI YO!!!"

I completely missed a bid for an MISB Beast Wars Neo Heinrad because it totally skipped my mind. Only 25 CAN... AND only one other person bid on it, and they didn't even do that thing where they bid multiple times in a row to jack the price up. I totally could've sniped it at the last second... ;_;

Aside from that, missing out on nabbing one of the MANY CW Battle Core Primes at Walmart because I kept telling myself "Eh, maybe next time." And also UW-03, UW-05 and especially UW-06. I think one of these was because I bought a Wii U around that time. (Hopefully I can find those three at a semi-not insane price now that they're being reissued...)

14. Kirby0189

Kirby0189 Soundpost

There was a time when I took a break from buying Transformers... and it just so happened to be around the time the Generations line and Reveal the Shield started. Stupid, stupid aftermarket prices. Though I also never got around to getting Generations Rhinox or Rattrap, but Takara's newest repaints have given me another chance, and I might take it.

15. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    Did Heinrad get expensive? He's been on my list of TFs I want for a while, and I kept pushing picking one up. If so..well, he's on the list of regrets now too.

16. Markus76

Markus76 Well-Known Member

Badcube's Brawny....Can't afford to buy multiple transformers every month, so now, if I can find it, it's going for 2-300 bucks. Ce la vi

17. flik68

flik68 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I regret not getting brake neck/wildrider when it came out because now I'm not paying the ridiculous $45 for a $15 piece of plastic. so much for a complete cw menasor. :( 

18. BScorpinok75

BScorpinok75 Squadron X #1 Consultant

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    I regret passing on...well rather not knowing of...therefore missing out on...Botcon Games of Deception set..mostly because Bugbite & Dreadwing...least of my concerns these days the three Seekers...

19. Ayleron

Ayleron Autobot Vanguard

Toys us mp10 prime is the only one that I passed on in a store. I have always really wanted the botcon G2 Rapido and Electro.

20. StrifeZ

StrifeZ Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I got him when he was released, but it positively mystifies me how Hasbro/TRU could relase/order so relatively few amount of the MP10 deco, but then crap out that horrid Platinum Gold deco that shelf warmed for a year. MP-10 was in such demand that there are entire radicons threads devoted to "normalizing" that deco.

If I didn't order Mp-10 online, I never would have got it. I missed Starscream :(