Are the War Within Comics good?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by ErbFan28, Jul 17, 2011.

1. ErbFan28

ErbFan28 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I just purchased the entire series from Big Filipino. I'm just curious if anyone enjoyed reading them. I'm starting to get into comics, before purchasing these I only had three issues(2003 Universe issues). I hope they're good and I think they will. I just want to hear your opinions.

Off topic, but I wish someone would conclude the 2003 Universe comics. I know there was a script reading for the conclusion(http://tfwiki.net/wiki/OTFCC_2004_Live-Action_Script_Reading) but I want to know what happened to Depth Charge, plus an official comic ending would be better anyway

2. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    I thought they were cool when they were coming out, but they don't seem as good as they used to anymore. The first volume holds up great, though.

3. Stormcrow

Stormcrow Well-Known Member

They're good, but not amazing.
    The artwork and character designs are memorable, the story not as much.

4. Proxima

Proxima Goddess of Darkness

i love them to death. I'm just really sad Age of Wraith was never finished

5. CyberShadow

CyberShadow Wheeljacks Lab

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    I started with the WW comics, and I really like them. Because they are isolated, you dont need to know anything else to read them and like them. I thought that the story was interesting, and the concepts were really good.

6. Overhaulimus

Overhaulimus Sword of Fury!

News Credits:
    I enjoyed the hell out of volume 1, volume 2 was alright with me but I didn't like volume 3 at all.

7. ErbFan28

ErbFan28 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, I actually had the last issue of volume 1. I remember it reading it all the time, but I lost it(I was only 9 or 10 at the time) haha. I also hate when a comic discontinued when the publisher loses right or goes bankrupt. It happened with the 2003 Universe comics also. I think a publishing should officially add closure to both these series

8. Mako Crab

Mako Crab Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Vol 1 was great (though it's been years since I've read it).

Vol 2 was plodding and just not my thing. Also, I wasn't a fan of the art.

Vol 3 was. . . unfinished, I guess. Don't remember too much about it.

9. Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    They're all pretty decent. They did, however, get an EXCESS of praise pre-heaped onto them at the time because they saw Simon Furman return to writing Transformers comics, and the hugely popular then-just-a-fan-artist Don Figueroa got his first official gig on them. They remained pretty overrated as a consequence - though they ARE solid, enjoyable comics.

What *I* will forever hold against them, though, is the fact that they were the first Transformers comic (and indeed, not just comic, but really anything-ever) to feature a complete physical redesign of every character to give them different alternate modes (Cybertronian in this case), and frankly, people were more excited about THAT than about anything else. The disproportionately positive response this garnered started a nasty trend of "redesigned characters" being treated as more of a selling point than the story or quality of the comic - an attitude that persisted through nearly every G.I. Joe crossover, which often bent over backwards to come up with a plot that centred on redesigning the entire cast, and which seeped into the early days of IDW a bit too.

10. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl

I thought the War Within comics was pretty good, but I kinda lost interest in them after the Transformers: Exodus novel and War For Cybertron game came out.

11. Murasame

Murasame 村雨

News Credits:
    I read them recently and found them good. Wish there were more. Maybe someday we'll get a WFC comic?