are the voltron lions cyborgs, zoids . cybertronains or something beyond them?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by redwolfbear, Feb 9, 2018.

1. Blam320

Blam320 Assembly Inventor

OP literally asked if Voltron's mechs were like Cybertronians. Which is in and of itself a dumb question, since the two are totally different in terms of both toys and lore. A quick google search could have solved that.

A question I'd be more tolerant of is "what's the difference between a Cybertronian and a Go-Bot," since the two are much more similar.

2. Altered Prime

Altered Prime Well-Known Member

I get what you’re saying but I’m not sure I would agree that it’s a totally dumb question particularly when you factor in that over the different reboots if try to introduce the idea that the Lions have some kind of Spirit, or something else guiding them

But either way this isn’t worth spending much time on

• Like Like x 1
  3. greboguru

greboguru Psychedelic Brainchild

Considering that Voltron started out as a single super robot and was split apart into five robot lions does beg the question of how this new aspect was introduced, technologically speaking.

Now, considering that the Galran Khangenate is part of the TF Animated universe, and that's all a reference to the planets and events of Voltron, well... It's actually possible that Cybertronian technology was used in the lions of Voltron.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Altered Prime

I’m not sure I would agree with the conclusion there

Have the events of Voltron actually been mentioned because it’s not that could’ve been nothing but a name drop for Easter egg purposes

5. redwolfbear

redwolfbear Banned

Facebook:

I love everything about that ideA

• Like Like x 1
  6. redwolfbear

redwolfbear Banned

Facebook:

There is no such thing as a dumb question my friend save for that question which itself goes unasked as I understand it

• Like Like x 2
  7. GrimLocke

GrimLocke Green Energon Disposal

I’m not sure who built the original GoLion, so there’s room enough for them to be a long lost Transformer, but it would probably have to be a different timestream than most of TF since it seems, from a cursory glance at Wikipedia, that GoLiom starts with our Space Explorers returning to a Nuked Earth after WWIII and then getting enslaved by the Galra.

That feels kinda familiar these days in its own way, no?

But, Netflix’s Studio MirTron is definitely not a Transformer. That Voltron was fashioned by Alfor, Zarkon and some other folks from magical space rocks, so magical that the machines they fashioned may as well actually be angels or even gods, though they do still need at least one pilot—assuming you’re an eldritch warlord like Zarkon.

8. redwolfbear

redwolfbear Banned

Facebook:
    I believe that to a degree they can can be compared to one another in their way

They are both different species of living technological being .perhaps the lions are more akin to zoids though perhaps a level or 2 above even them as well in terms of intelligence. Being magitechnologically enhanced mechanical living beings I would dare say there complexity could easily approach that of cybertronians themselves though cybertronians are still a few levels above the lions in terms of individuality and intelligence in their way . to be quite frank with how well the voltron mythos has developed over time with each succeeding reinterpretation of voltron origin I do believe the lions could perhaps best be classified as being somewhere between a zoids and transformers in all regards having the best qualities of each in their way .

• Like Like x 1
  9. Blam320

There's a big difference between a reference and actual interaction. Thundera, Skaro, and Prysmos, among at least a dozen others, are all also referenced in the Allspark Almanac.

10. greboguru

Indeed they are. Clearly, folks in this thread are not the only ones who see some potential overlap in the various series. Time to give up the ghost, Blammy.

Anyway! In the original Japanese show Voltron is based on—Golion—the robot's backstory is crrrrazy. "Thousands of years ago, GoLion was an arrogant robot who, after defeating several Beastmen, tried to challenge the goddess of the universe into battle, but failed. For GoLion's hubris, the goddess taught him humility by separating him into five pieces in the form of five lion robots that sailed through space and crash-landed on Altea, to lay in wait for those who would one day reawaken him to fight evil once again."

"Goddess of the Universe?" Golion/Voltron was arrogant? Seems Voltron used to be sentient. Maybe he originally WAS a Cybertronian...

Last edited: Feb 26, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Blam320

What ghost? They're references. No real interaction. Zero overlap. You're the one grasping at straws.

12. greboguru

If by "grasping at straws" you mean "thinking about Transformers and other sci-fi," then yes, I'm guilty of that. And if your opinion is that thinking about Transformers and other sci-fi is a fool's errand, then you are on the wrong message board and you should probably leave.

P.S., I'm blocking you, because you're unpleasant and your presence makes this board less enjoyable. So if you feel like responding, don't bother, I won't see it. BUHBYE!

• Like Like x 2
  13. redwolfbear

redwolfbear Banned

Facebook:

I have long considered that possibility myself

Now if a especially skillful fan were to fully custom bash Hasbro new predaking set into being a reasonable well done custom built lionbot combined set . Omfg that would beyond epically awesome

• Like Like x 2
  14. redwolfbear

redwolfbear Banned

Facebook:
    [​IMG]

wow that really turns the whole matter on its head now dont it folks?

Shin Voltron

am i the only one seeing a visible zoids and transformers inspired influence in the actual design ?

This DIY Voltron Model Is Some Next Level Stuff

now this right here this be some serious awesome next generation design work folks like someone took the original golion design and went full on golionkaiser lol

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 8, 2018
  15. pilot00

pilot00 Well-Known Member

Bro bro....Instead of blocking him you should have posted a Fan story, about the Decepticons making Voltron a Decepticon combiner after Predaking was destroyed and Razor claw been the only survivor. That would make his eyes bleed.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Altered Prime

I see influences from zoids and gundum but none from transformers

Both look great

• Like Like x 1
  17. Robert Snoke

Robert Snoke Gundam Gusion

makes you wonder if GoLion a.k.a. 'the five-headed beast' is a species with a population or he's an anomaly, a one-of-a-kind,
    we are not even sure if he was once an organic being before he was cursed by the goddess that split him into five mechanical lions.

18. redwolfbear

redwolfbear Banned

Facebook:

Here is a thought for you my friends what if all combiner teams in transformers were portrayed as super robot titans in their merged forms. that their autobot .Or decepticon leaders could pilot by a virtual interface in a motion capture sort of Way.

• Like Like x 1
  19. redwolfbear

redwolfbear Banned

Facebook:

Holy @$!#ing hell that guys voltron looks like he could take down predaking for real

I am loving that transmetal look like the voltron lions went full on zoidformer lionbots lol that be some way epic shit PEOPLE

Last edited: Apr 8, 2018
  20. redwolfbear

redwolfbear Banned

Facebook:
    Does that actually transform into the lions??..