Are the scenes with the Transformers just too expensive?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Grand Sword, Jul 6, 2011.

1. Grand Sword

Grand Sword Well-Known Member

I'm trying to rack my brain why the best scenes in the movie(s) are always the Transformers and the worst are the real life actors... and yet the Transformers get little screen time.. Is it that maybe the scenes due to their amount of detail just cost too much?? Or is Bay and his script writer just that bad..

For example. The scene in Africa with Megatron/Starscream/Soundwave/Laserbeak was just a huge moment, and yet it ran for less than a minute really... if that was an extra three or so minutes it would have been brilliant, but then there are scenes where Sam is going to job interviews which seem to go for 15-20 minutes! What is the point of John Malcovich exactly? What did he provide to the story what so ever?

The NEST team flying around and jumping from building to building etc etc etc. seems to go on for hours.. yet Optimus kills Megs in under 3 seconds. Shockwave gets no screen time even though he was hyped as this movie's big bad guy (I guess that was to throw us off the Sentinel Prime twist..) and so on and so on..

So I'm just wondering if the SFX just cost too much to maintain these scenes on screen. More Robots less people but Bay in all three movies has followed this same formulae which has made the movies very long winded and parts unbearable..

2. uruseiranma

uruseiranma Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This is Transformers, not Shakespeare.

3. newguy

newguy i

More robot interaction (without explosions and cool fight scenes) leads to a cheese feel for regular viewers. Cheese means less views. Less views means less money. It's all about the money.

4. Ephland

Ephland Let's Go Rangers

News Credits:
    Cost is a big part of it - yes, the CGI for these movies is incredibly expensive. But another part of it is making the movie appeal to a wide audience. Keep in mind there are lots and lots of people who aren't members of the "fandom" - these movies are the only part of the franchise they have any interaction with. As long as there are Transformers in a Transformers movies, "amount of screentime" really isn't an issue to people like that.

5. redrum

redrum Member

i would have to agree with the OP. as much as people hate the amount of human roles in these movies the simple fact of the matter is that its not economically feasable to have a entire movie with the standard of cgi that is shown.

6. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    For what it's worth: a producer acquaintance has mentioned that CGI is not as expensive as it's often claimed to be, and thinks all this lack of robot screen time is more a Bay thing than a budget thing.

7. Grand Sword

Grand Sword Well-Known Member

So it's just poor script writing and Bay just having a hard on for all the military stuff, slow mos of blowing up shit and Carly, and not really the namesake of his movies...