are the pimes the supermen of their kind?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by GENOZAUR, Aug 15, 2010.

1. GENOZAUR

GENOZAUR Banned

when it comes to the primes and the thematrix attimes it has been stated that they are in a sense literally a breed apart from their fellow cybertronians

that is to say that in a way one could look at them as being the metacybertronians among their fellow cybertronians

what got me thinking on the whole matter was this video i found on youtube

if optimus wasa metahuman he would defiantely be superman for sure

YouTube - My tribute to Optimus Prime, the Superman of the Autobots

2. SAF7

SAF7 LOVE this game!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    If I could nitpick for a bit, Superman was no different from any other kryptonian. He was only powerful because of Earth's yellow sun, while the rest of his race (while they were alive) were under a red sun.

However, if we were to compare the primes and the rest of the cybertronians as though we were comparing Superman to humans, I guess you could make that comparison, but I personally see them as destined ones, kinda like Anakin Skywalker (pre-whining baby) compared to the other Jedi.

3. GreenChick

GreenChick Well-Known Member

Eh, I saw them as Saiyans are to humans. There's always some kind of damn power-up they'll be pulling out of their ass. Plus they die and cometh back a lot all thanks to a McGuffin and power of plot!

4. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Even then, the analogy doesn't fit so great, since Optimus is not a different species from other Cybertronians, as Superman is from humans. As for Skywalker, you might have something there, especially with the whole "chosen by destiny/force/the matrix" thing, but that's a hugely basic heroic archetype, by which we could compare Optimus Prime to characters ranging from Perseus to MacDuff to Neo. I think a major difference between Skywalker and Optimus is, though, that Optimus was physically rebuilt (in many continuities) for his role, whereas Skywalker's strength lay in his natural talents and training.

Now, approaching Optimus as an example of the Nietzschian concept of the superman/ubermensch in Cybertronians, I think you could make numerous connections (Superman the DC character has borrowed heavily from Nietzschian concepts since his very beginnings, FYI). The ideal of the Superman in this context is an idea of a man (or bot) who builds himself beyond that of a man. In even a physical sense, this is true for Prime, whose abilities (again, depending on continuity) far surpass those of other Autobots. Interpretations of what this archetype would actually be have varied depending on the person, but Nietzche uses it as a warning, not a dream, however, personifying the superman as a man who has mastered the entire spectrum of human potential and overcome human ideas of god to become like unto a god himself, potentially looking down on man as man looks down on beasts (Superman the character was actually designed to be a villain at first, and the aforementioned idea has been toyed with from time to time with the character). This is where Prime appears different, at least idealistically, and appears more closely related to other interpretations of what a Superman (or Superbot) could become.

5. SAF7

SAF7 LOVE this game!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I agree fully that my comparison was a bit specific. I just happen to have Star Wars on the brain at the moment (I want The Clone Wars Season 3 NOW, dammit! :lol ).

6. theestampede

theestampede Wandering Artist

News Credits:
    I prefer it to be a rank like in animated. Them being a seperate race has always turned me off, just like the whole Primus and Unicron being gods thing.