Are the only ideas left just remakes?!

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Spoiler, Nov 11, 2008.

1. Spoiler

Spoiler Autobot Spoiler

News Credits:
  2. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    No, We just focus on the remakes. I enjoyed the Riddick movies and that wasn't a remake of anything.

Unfortunately though, remakes sometimes provide a safety net for studios.

3. GW_Freak

GW_Freak Banned

Remakes account for less than 10% of the films produced each year...

So no, the only ideas left are NOT remakes.

4. Spoiler

Spoiler Autobot Spoiler

News Credits:
    I think what bothers me most about the better half of remakes, is they don't need to be done... For instance, Friday the 13th... Why? Dawn of the Dead...why? Day of the Dead...Why? Now Karate kid? What is the purpose behind this? I even heard about how George Lucas wanted to redo 4, 5 and 6...WHY!?! Various movies just need to be left alone...

Now abominations like the Hulk, sure that needs to be remade..but...why older movies that have no purpose being remade?

5. Hobbes-timus Prime

Hobbes-timus Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    There are only 3 stories anyone can tell:

Character vs. Character
    Character vs. Environment
    Character vs. Himself

So, no, there are no new stories. Just new details in the old stories. Who cares if more than one movie calls some old guy Miyagi and some kid Daniel if the storytelling experience is worth it at the end of the day?

Not that I'll be seeing this particular remake, mind you. But I won't waste time getting upset about it being made.

6. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Megatron? Is that you!?!?

If he remade 4,5,and 6 that would be horrible. Those three are still way better then the new three.

7. Max-prime

Max-prime Supreme-Commander

News Credits:
    Personally I dont mind the remakes as long as they can do them right .... others though should be left alone.

8. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

I can understand remakes of horror movies for the most part. Few are classics and they become seriously dated over time.

The original Friday the 13ths were scary back in the 80s, but today they're more comedy than true horror. Younger generations laugh in mockery at the horror films of the 70s and 80s. If the studio can improve on the originals then I say go for it.

Dawn of the Dead, House on Haunted Hill, The Thing, and the Amityville Horror were good remakes.

The Omen, Invasion, Psycho, and House of Wax remakes were bad remakes.

Just gotta take the good with the bad I guess.

9. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    The reasons we see so many remakes is to the Hollywood mind they were popular once so that = money. So they think it will sell on name alone reguardless of whether it's good or not. So they hire some director who thinks he can do no wrong and he turns a great work of film into a steaming pile of trash. But due to the name it breakes even or even makes a little and hollywood calls that a success. There are a lot of new stories they could be doing based off books, comics, or even original screen plays, but most executives don't want to take a risk they want guarenteed returns, so we get another crappy remake.

10. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    i don't mind remakes except when they are written by a 3rd grader, then his ideas are milked out by committee and test audiences till we get....
    crap on a shingle.

and that Psycho remake coulda been better if they had run the original in a theater and took someone's bootleg recording and used that.

I am Legend, may be a remake of The Omega Man or not, but it is a case when a remake is appropos.
    there are a lot of older movies that could be remade because they are such powerful stories, but the fault isn't in the remake, it is in the process that makes them.

11. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    thats the thing though, there is nothing so drastically wrong or dated with the storytelling, characters, script or concept in The Karate Kid that it even needs a remake. It is a movie that still stands upon its two feet even now, twenty four years later.

12. rattrap007

rattrap007 Insert witty comment here TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I think it depends on the source material.

Friday the 13th - Ok I can see a remake. The old one is pretty good, but It can be updated a bit.

The Thing - The 80s version is vastly superior to the old one. New one had more suspense and a deeper meaning to it. Still a fantastic movie.

Dawn of the Dead - a decent remake, but lost the deeper roots of the old one.

I say old sci-fi and horror movies can be remade and often times be as good as or better (unless is a true classic like Psycho) than the original.

This is kinda pointless. The old one is great and still stands up fine.

13. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I've never understood the problem people have with the very existence of remakes (do people have the same problem with the Universe 2.0 toyline?). It's not like having a remake out there rends the first version from the spacetime continuum and no one can ever watch the original again. If you don't like the remake, or don't like the idea of the original film being redone, just ignore the remake and watch the original. Now, granted, I can understand having problems with how a specific remake is executed and critiquing such a film on it's own merits, just not the loathing of remakes in general.

14. Boardwise

Boardwise is scary - Sig Killer - M Super Mod

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Hulk wasn't a remake.
    It was a reboot of the franchise.

15. Spoiler

Spoiler Autobot Spoiler

News Credits:
    Toys are a bit different...like reissues of G1 stuff, or classics. They aren't the same because plain and simple, you can't get the original G1 stuff as easily, or cheap for that factor.

Reboot, remake, under a technicality it is the same aspect, it still sucked. You reboot a computer to start it back up, you remake a movie because you think you can do better.

Now, for instance where remakes didn't suck, Batman...I was a fan of the first 2, than Forever came out, wasn't awesome, but I thought that Carey did a great job as Riddler. Begins came out, I thought it was great, a darker side of it.

Granted also, there are movies that need to be remade, for instance older movies that were just too cheesy and didn't convince people. Now this isn't a movie to movie instance, but the Twilight Zone show to movie, with the "Terror at 20,000 ft" I've watched the original with Shatner, more funny than scary. That gremlin looked so fake, with his tennis shoes on. Now the one where they remade it into a movie with more convincing details acutally used to scare me.

16. Scantron

News Credits:
    Reissued toys, to come back to the movie theme, are like re-releasing an original version of a film on DVD, so that's definitely a different matter. But the whole purpose of Classics/Universe 2.0 is to remake figures from G1 (mostly); the availability, price or ease of obtaining the original versions doesn't have anything to do with whether it's a remake or not. If that were the case, then Hollywood could do a new version of some film that is hard/expensive to obtain and, by that definition, it wouldn't be a remake.

17. Spoiler

Spoiler Autobot Spoiler

News Credits:
    True, but even still, a toy is a toy, and a movie is a movie. I am not trying to say that Hollywood shouldn't do remakes. I am saying that some movies are better left alone. This all revolves around them remaking movies, that make no sense entirely to remake. Even this morning on the radio the show was talking about the remaking of Karate Kid and they straight up felt the same way.

Like I was saying about them Remaking Star Wars 4, 5, and 6...they are fine the way they are,...I don't wanna see them ruin what was done fine. Because knowing Lucas...it will be just like the Prequel trilogy...not awesome...

18. Scantron

News Credits:
    You don't have to see it, though; just don't watch the remakes. How does their mere existence detract anything from the original?

TBH, though, I'd like to see someone (not George Lucas) remake the original Star Wars trilogy, since I thought they were all terrible. An interesting basic 'universe', and one that I think could be incredible with someone more skilled at the helm, but the dialogue and plots (and, to some extent, the acting) as they currently are turn me off.

And a remake is a remake. I guess I really don't understand the fundamental difference between media that makes a remake OK (or at least generally acceptable) in one medium but bad in another.

19. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Right?

You have something you like. It still exists. Now you have a chance to possibly enjoy many of the same things you liked about the original again, but maybe with a fresh, new spin. And if the remake sucks...so what? You still have the original, right?

What's the problem?

20. Spoiler

Spoiler Autobot Spoiler

News Credits:
    It's all about the premise, some things just shouldn't be remade.