Are the KO Binaltech's worth it?

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by Mewtwo, Oct 10, 2012.

1. Max Rawhide

Max Rawhide Rollin' Rollin' Rollin' ... uh, never mind

The important thing to remember is that they're KO's. Not official product and not 3rd party. They will be of lower quality and probably without much QC. But there sure are a couple of nice variants.

Got a few myself:
    - white Hound. Pretty okay. One mirror is attached wrong and the left knee joint was so tight that during transformation something snapped...and now his leftknee joint is completely loose.
    - Prowl (all plastic). Pretty lame with poor finish. low quality plastic and not a single joint that will hold.
    - white Sideswipe. Overal kind of okay, but he can't stand. There's something wrong with his feet.
    - Black Hummer. Pretty okay for the most part, but the head balljoint snapped of during the 2nr or 3rd transformation. SOme of the plastic also feels cheap. It is a great idea and shows that HasTak could've done more, but I really wish they looked at alt Skids when figuring out the roof transformation. There's a lot of kibble on the lower legs.

I've been planning to use spare alts to mix and match. Basically use the main figure from the official alt and attach the car parts from the KO to get a best of both worlds.

Is there still any place to get that one? KOtoys had those (once bought one but my order went wrong and I cancelled and never re-ordered it). Wouldn't mind getting one although I was thinking about Roadhandler myself.

2. iron maniac

iron maniac Help Uncle Sixshot, Help!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Sure they are worth it, here's mine:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Hicks_Royel

Hicks_Royel Hurts feelings being honest.

News Credits:
    I don't know. Every once and a while things pop up on eBay but even those are hard to locate. Honestly, you could probably buy a Grimlock cheap and start there.

4. Max Rawhide

Max Rawhide Rollin' Rollin' Rollin' ... uh, never mind

Oh, I already have a spare Grimlock and a spare Wheeljack ;) . Bought at least two of each alt released (except Swerve, Camshaft and Nemesis but those were hard to get) for the simple purpose of kitbashing -- something that still hasn't really happened with alts. But having the plastic already be red would be a great start to avoid paint chipping.

5. Superquad7

Superquad7 OCP Police Crime Prevention Unit 001 Super Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    The oversized KO Ford GT is pretty awful. I think the only reason I keep mine around is for potential kitbash fodder (robot parts only). Stay away!

As I said earlier, the KO RX-8s (any of 'em) are simply great. I've had little problems out of them, and the few problems they have are shared with the official releases. I actually have the KO Jazz Mazdaspeed racing deco as my "Jazz". The other KOs simply need some TLC with their floppy joints.

The plastic Mustangs I can't recommend. The yellow Mustang has the greenish effect that Alt Sunstreaker has on the underside of the roof - on the outside of the side roof. I had a photo at one point but can't find it at the moment. The red one just feels very generic in quality - something that's not shared much by the KO BTs.

The KO Hummers are cool, but are kind of a victim of themselves due to the weight and shell kibble on the legs. The only QC issues I've had on them are the super tight joints on the tailgate and the shaft connecting the roof to the windshield (both of which I've had break on me).