Are the Energon gesalts worth getting?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by AniProwl, Jul 18, 2009.

1. AniProwl

AniProwl Banned

News Credits:
    Given that the Superion and eventually Bruticus sets will be in stores as well as the Devastator set was released a couple of years ago. Are any of them worth getting? I'm considering getting one or all three of them if they're worth the money.

2. Gearshift

Gearshift Lady of the Dark Throne

News Credits:
    They look nice. I'm asking the same question, actually. I'll keep an eye on this topic.

3. Paladin

Paladin Have Zord, Will Travel

News Credits:
    Detroit- It's a shithole full of people who steal
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Bruticus is probably the best of the three; I definitely recommend that one.

4. Gearshift

Gearshift Lady of the Dark Throne

News Credits:
    From the images Superion appears to be the worst. I personally like the Constructicons pretty well, but I'm a Devy kind of guy. :p 

5. Screamer52488

Screamer52488 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I think so. If you don't mind 3 molds for 5 figures. I have the Devastator and love it. If you combine him differently than the instructions say you can get some nice articulation in him. I also have Superion but can't speak too much of him as I haven't taken him out of his box (yet). I plan to pick up Bruticus when he comes out too. Some don't like them because of the above mentioned limited molds and possibility but play around with them and you can get some cool stuff out of them. Maybe I'm bias but I like gestalts.

6. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Yes. The individual members are fantastic toys, regardless of your opinion on the combined modes. All nine molds are very poseable, have fun transformations (well, except maybe Steamhammer who is a little annoying) and their vehicle modes mostly look great.

The combined modes are a fun feature, I personally really like them because they give an already great set of toys an extra bonus feature, and I don't mind the lack of poseability or the odd hands. There's enough scope with the individual members to come up with alternate transformations at any rate to give the combined modes different arms if you do not like the official forms - with Devastator / Constructicon Maximus, I always fix it so Duststorm is transformed differently from the official form anyway, so the front end of the vehicle becomes the hand and the crane arm swivels out as a secondary arm.

Of the three, I personally feel the Construction group is the weakest. They are neat little toys, but I have the most gripes with that set. The Aerialbots are awesome, just watch out for the peg on the one who forms the torso. The Combaticons are the best of the bunch though, in my own opinion.

Try Superion and see what you think, he's the most plentiful in stores right now. If you don't like him then you won't like either of the others, but to be honest, I think you'll like them just fine. They are great toys, the very best to come out of the Energon series.

7. soundwaveCA

soundwaveCA Veteran

News Credits:
    ^^^

Lack of hands aside most of the Energon combiners are pretty good, and like Sol said the individual bot's are pretty good too.

8. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout SANTARN IS COMING AGAIN TFW2005 Supporter

Yes. I only have the ROTF/Universe Superion repaint, but he's awesome. I also agree with the idea that the figure that forms Bruticus's main body is also the best of the three just by looking at it in the combined mode (it seems much more secure than the Superion body, can't say for certain about the Devestator body...)

The Energon "hands" are both good and bad. Take my Superion for instance, the F-22's weapons form a 4-fingered "claw" of some sort that obviously doesn't look like it could grasp anything. However, since the fingers are really the guns, I like to think the hand is actually a quad-howitzer kind of thing, and when he taps into the power of the Super-Energon Star on the limb, he can generate a mini-Kamehameha energy ball and launch it railgun-style from the hand. It's personal preference, and while neither the original G1 Superion or even Superion Maximus could do that, it sure is a heck of a lot better explaination than a "claw hand".

The Energon combiners do have their faults, some of them being universal (the only Combiner who could have anything close to elbows is Bruticus, and you have to mis-tranform the tank limbs to do it, and even then you don't get to much movement), some individual (the Superion body's "chest" doesn't ever lock into place outside of plane mode), but they're fun figures, the individual bots are awesome, and considering the Maximus style combiners were some of the best figures in a line where Combining was overused to the point of idiocrity (Energon), they're excelent toys.

9. Eradicator

Eradicator I am Antithesis

I like them all, but I would agree the Devastator is the worst and Bruticus is the best. As far as the movies Superion release, the only problem I had is the visors on the two non jet limbs(the ones that end up with wings on their backs instead of on their legs) come off a little easier than their Energon counterparts.

10. mugen_prime

mugen_prime Well-Known Member

I like all of them. If you "miss-transform" them for their limb modes, you can actually get quite a bit of pose-ability out of them.

11. Opticron Primal

Opticron Primal Comin' up OOOs!

News Credits:
    I only have Classics Devs and Uni. Superion and I'd say they're worth it. Out of the two, though, Superion is the worst. The QC on Silverbolt is pretty bad and combining all of them is a pain, but he does look good.

I'd say Devastator is the best, Superion the worst and Bruticus in the middle, since I don't have one yet.

12. wildfly

wildfly Lasers, 8 O'Clock, Day 1.

News Credits:
    Superion is decent.
    Bruticus is pretty good.

Devastator is (imo) the weakest by a good stretch. Steamhammer doesn't feel that well thought out in any mode, and the shovel just gets in the way in combined more. For some reason it seems much more obvious there are just three molds involved than with the other two combiners.

13. AniProwl

AniProwl Banned

News Credits:
    I know this is random, but can some one post a pic of Energon Steamhammer/Classics Scavenger with Universe 2.0 Heavy Load and RoTF Dirt Boss in alt and robot modes as well as Energon Steamhammer/Classics Scavenger with Animated Snarl and Animated Wreck-Gar?

Thanks for whoevever does that.

14. DJ Soundwave

DJ Soundwave Action Figure Master

What's your definition of "Worth Getting" ?

I personally thing that they are great , individually and combined ...... all 7 of the Gestalts from the Energon Molds are very very nice ..... they have great Articulation , they are well proportioned, and have great detail....

15. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    All three are very nice toys and worth picking up, although Superion has some engineering flaws in the torso. Bruticus and Devastator are near-perfect, though.

16. mugen_prime

Perhaps these might help you decide if you like em or not......

Devastator (Classics)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. mugen_prime

Bruticus (energon)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. mugen_prime

Superion (energon)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Superion (ROTF/Universe)

(waiting for Fansproject upgrade)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. KingGrimlock

KingGrimlock Assuming Direct Control

superion no, bruticus yes, dont own devastator

20. Phoenix Blaze

Phoenix Blaze Brain Waster

From what I've seen, Superion is one of the best, and with the Fansproject kit, he just gets better.

Dev. looks the worst, with those excuses for limbs, and any Dev. with a mere 5 components has to fail!

Bruticus is one I'd like to pic up some day soon, hell I'll probably get all three soon.

I have my Superion set up similar to Mugen Prime's (well, the same actually), and it just makes the toy so much better. Although, I wish I had the Energon one rather than the RotF one, the colours are just *so* much better.