Are the Elite Guard the only military force on Cybertron?

Discussion in 'Transformers Animated Discussion' started by Sideswipe80, Oct 3, 2008.

1. Sideswipe80

Sideswipe80 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Or are they just the best of the best?

2. Harbinger

Harbinger ecnayonnA

the impression you get from bootcamp is that there is a huge army and the elite guard is just that, the elite guard. they are the best of the best going around helping out the regular troops who are doing anything from repairing space bridages to recapturing bots who escape the stockade.

3. Lockdown

Lockdown Bootey Hunter

News Credits:

I see what your saying but thats not exactly how it came across to me, the impression I got was that the 'HUGE ARMY' your talking about is the Autobots as a whole but that the Elite Guard are the combat soldiers as you say the non-elite guard are support personel.

Kinda goes like this Decepticon seperatist faction emerges causes a civil war that the Autobots win the surviving Decepticons banished to the far reaches of space. With the war at an end there is no reason for every Autobot to be a soldier in peace time but they have learnt from the past so a relatively small number of Autobots are recruited into the Elite Guard so that they have a standing military organization while allowing the majority of Autobots to go back to the same sort of existences as they lead prior to the great war.

4. Harbinger

Harbinger ecnayonnA

dont forget bulkhead is from a energon farm. the huge army of the civil war might be gone but the army remains active in peace keeping efforts. though it sorta bring into question the rest of the cybertronian society. we only know about the armed forces and that there is farms. hopefully in season 3 we might get more info about it.

5. Sideswipe80

Sideswipe80 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    See I've been wondering about the rest of Cybertronian society as well. I mean are there just every day average joe type bots?

6. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

Bulkehad said he came from a "farm like" thing.

7. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    That's right. An Energon farm, he said.

8. TFA_in_AK

TFA_in_AK Member

I figure there has to be just "regular" 'bots in Cybertronian soceity. In most every culture (and Cybertron hasto have a culture, which is essentially a universal mindset among a group of individuals, be those individuals a human race or the Autobots) there's a social hierarcy-- this group outranks that one and the like.

In Cybertronian culture, the Elite Guard must be pretty high up on the food chain. Consider "Autoboot Camp"-- when Bulkhead and Bumblebee first meet, Bulkhead asks Bee to snap a picture of him with some of the academy buildings in the background, adding, "They'll never beleive this back home!" Bumblebee just can't help resist asking, "This is your first time off the energon farm, isn't it?" to which Bulkhead eagerly replies, "How'd you guess?"

This implies a pretty good deal. Bee's almost disgusted way of asking the energon farm question, not to mention going on to call Bulkhead a mudflap (the Cybertronian equivalent of hillbilly, it seems) two or three times during the remainder of the episode, implies that 'bots who farm energon (Bulkhead and his family included apparently) are lower on the social food chain.

(Wow, I sounded smart there for a minute-- call it speculation fueled by 70s music and cherry PopTarts at 6 AM. :p )

9. Lockdown

Lockdown Bootey Hunter

News Credits:
    Yeah but you have to consider that perhaps the disdain for 'Energon Farming Mudflaps' could have been much like the tendency of city folk looking down on country folk (and vice versa) and thus its less of a social heirarchy thing and more just the prejudice between different sub cultures.

10. Silent_Magnus

Silent_Magnus Taint of Primus

News Credits:
    The way I interpreted it was that "Autoboot" camp is just a springboard into a miitary career.
    After it, the bots go into more specialized training.
    An example being The Autobot Academy, which is probably where the Elite Gaurd are trained.

11. Lockdown

Lockdown Bootey Hunter

News Credits:
    I was more thinking the academy was purely for officers, like how you can general enlist or go to the military academy where you come out as an officer.

That when Optimus was reffered to as an academy bot that it was simply stating he got officers training.

12. Deadend

Deadend Overloaded Spark

News Credits:
    It's pretty much similiar to our society of setup with stereotypes and people who look up to various aspects, while others may be more towards the reality of their nature, and some are more conspiracy driven.

The pure benign aspect of the autobots has yet to really be discussed. Black Arachnia knows the con's won't disect her, yet she's afraid the autobots would.

Aspects like this among other areas that have yet to be explored make you wonder exactly how deep the differences are between the factions, and as to why the decepticon revolt besides thoughts of supremacy. While yes Megatron is power hungry, but why?

And it seems the academy does more than just pick out elite guard, they seem to also pick out the lower soldiers to those rungs too, even the communications officiers, repair bots, and clean up crews. Each crew also seems to maintain the same military classing like a state of martial law almost within the planet to keep the decepticon menace in check, as the decepticons abandoned cybertron once the allspark was gone. There was nothing to fight over, and nothing to help them turn the tide of the battle back to their favor as the autobots maintained a tight hold as to who can enter the academy to be placed into the society for jobs besides the 'family model' business like energon farms. (Similiar to earth martial law over a country, and how farm owners maintaining their own crops through parent to child passing traditions and caretaking.)

Probably could go more indepth than that, but yes I'd say there are probably more than just the elite guard, just the elite guard is the top rung of the Autobot military, whereas some offshoots may not be talked of, or may be so hush hush or dangerous they are kept off world since the war. While a typical soldier is just that, a soldier. Though we know ratchet was enlisted as a medic I believe, and he wasn't elite guard.

Optimus' space bridge repair crew basicly consists of this:
    Prime - Washed out of the academy, but did so still while at a prime ranking, and was granted 'captain' of a space bridge repair crew since he's not 'hero' material.
    BB - Washed out of the academy sorta, at the same time caught a spy. So eh, he basicly got the same punishment as prime, without progressing passed his initial enlistment as a cadet.
    Bulkhead - Washed out of the academy into being a space bridge repair tech, though this was always his intention to be.
    Ratchet - Retired War Medic, he's a doctor, not a soldier, remembers for those that can't, but is tired of the fighting and just wants peace and quiet. Joined a repair crew to get away and enjoy the quiet till he recognizes the allspark. Berates prime for living in the past, as those are days ratchet will never forget, but he also doesn't want to relive.
    Prowl - Never finished his training, but no other info is known as to why he was assigned to that allspark forsaken rock.

Pretty much all seem to have been assigned via the academy, Prime is singled out due to his skill in rescuing them all. Which throws them off in how a 'prime' with this much skill is their captain, and not along side ultramagnus in the elite guard.

13. Lockdown

Lockdown Bootey Hunter

News Credits:
    Well see my take on this is that the Elite Guard wasnt actually founded until after the war had ended, the war caused everyone to pick a side even those not inclined toward combat but after the war itself had come to a close the Elite Guard was founded so that the Autobots had a standing Military.

14. Legless Pete

Legless Pete Chairman Kaga

Here's my question. Is Autobot a species, nationality, ethnicity or organization? If Autobot is a species, are they distinct from Decepticons, or are they both of the "Cybertronian" species? If Autobot is a nationality, and Decepticons are a nationality, are there non Autobot Cybertronian nations and ethnic groups? If Autobot is an ethnicity and decepticons are another Ethnicity/Nation, do they co-exist with other Cybertronian Ethnicities inside one nation? If autobot is an organization, are non decepticon cybertronians referred to as something else, and are they still part of the Autobot run state?

15. AutobotMarine

AutobotMarine Banned

Ebay:
    They are the few.....

They are the proud.....

They are, the Autobot Elite Guard!

16. Cheetatron

Cheetatron Eh

good questions. I know If I were to healm a tf universe I would make "autobot" the name of the species and make "decepticon" the name of a specific faction/organization

17. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    I say Autobots and Decepticons are factions/organizations.

18. Particle_Beam

Particle_Beam Well-Known Member

Factions. The race/species is cybertronian, as has been said by Megatron, for example in the end of season 1, when Sumdac tried to affect his balance systems.

I would say that whatever distinct factions there might have been before the great war, they don't exist anymore, and that in the present, there are only Autobots on Cybertron.

19. Glitcher

Glitcher Banned

News Credits:
    They're the best of the best of the best, SIR! (With honours!)

20. Caine

Caine Rise up to the glory!!

News Credits:
    And their supreme commander get blasted by a Decepticon second-in-command reject at point blank... right on his face.