Are the Classics\Universe line selling well enough for its on series

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by chazparks, Jan 23, 2009.

1. chazparks

chazparks Well-Known Member

It could take place where G1 left off. Zarak vs Galvatron.

2. Ktulu

Ktulu Whoosh TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I'm sure the sales are fine but they obviously have other plans in terms of what the main series will be, we still have more Animated to come and the movie (and it's inevitable sequel)

If you're talking solely about cartoons rather than comics - I wouldn't hold my breath for a direct continuation of G1 any time soon. I imagine they want to keep pushing forward, reinventing and reinvigorating the franchise with each step to keep it fresh. It also has to be aimed largely at kids as well, and I'm betting the vast majority of young Transformer fans now probably don't know much about the G1 cartoon run.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2009
  3. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout SANTARN IS COMING AGAIN TFW2005 Supporter

I highly doubt it in terms for a cartoon. We've got Animated as the TF cartoon of the present, and Univese couldn't be a continuation of G1 as it is already because of the genere spanning toys it has (including G2, Armada, Cybertron, RID, and some totally new ones)

4. Bgrngod

Bgrngod Autocon

News Credits:
    Toy sales don't generate cartoons. Cartoons generate toy sales.

There is already a Transformers cartoon going on. Having a second one wouldn't be a good idea. And having one that started where G1 left off would purely be a fan service and would most likely confuse the majority of people watching it.

5. chazparks

chazparks Well-Known Member

There have been other examples of two titles with a similiar premise "spin off"

Herecules\Xena
    He-Man\She-Ra
    Buffy\Angel

those haven't really confused people.

I agree the show generates sales but the toys could be a test to see if there is any interest and then create a show which then sells even more toys. It is all about $$$.

It could start where G1 left off and then pull in the characters from other series. Cybertron is a planet and we've only seen 3 groups of inhabitants from it. Even then not all the members of all 3 groups. Factor in they travel through the universe in space ships and then that allows plenty of room for the Universe characters outside of G1 to join the story arc. After that it needs to be mentioned how the G1 characters were brought back on-line that may have died and how some of the alt-modes were changed.

6. Steevy Maximus

Steevy Maximus Movie Megs eats your soul

News Credits:
    There is a difference between a "spin off" and a "continuation", which is what you were suggesting at the start of the thread.

Fact is: Universe/Classics/whatnot are considered secondary lines right now. The sole reason they even exist is to provide more Transformers product on the shelves in response to retailer demand.
    Had the demand not be there, Universe would likely not even exist, and should sales dip after the movie, if it came down to keeping Universe or Animated (which has a highly rated cartoon series supporting it) you can bet that Universe would get axed first.

7. Kickback

Kickback Proud father Administrator Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    In a word?

No.

8. Overlord II

Overlord II Starscreamicon Leader TFW2005 Supporter

Love to see it....but with the direction being what it is (animated frimly entrenched and ROTF coming up) I don't see it happening.

9. transformers32

transformers32 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It would be great from a fans point. I know i would like to see it. but like other ppl said it just wouldnt be a smart thing to do right now with animated and the new movie comming out this year already.

10. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout SANTARN IS COMING AGAIN TFW2005 Supporter

Y'know, S3 of the G1 cartoon wasn't really that good. Granted, it had some good eps, but for the most part it was bad. Rodimus was always doubting himself, Galvatron was insane to the point of shutting down all TF's by a freaking plot device 'cause he believed the Quesntion's lie about a Decepticon matrix, etc.

On top of that, Hardly any toys of characters from S3 of G1 have been made into Universe toys or have had sever restricitions. Example: Ultra Magnus. He was introduced in the movie and was in S3, but his most notable trait was the fact he was a white prime repaint with a car carier that turned into armor. UM's classics toy, a Target 2-pack w/ skywarp that is no longer made, was only the white prime repaint. It took FansProjects to make a suitable City Commander armor for him, and parents are not going to go hunting for both and spend probably over $200 for both just for their kids.

I believe that Universe as a toyline is fine, no need for a cartoon. Heck, the line is meant to celebrate 25 years of TF's mainly, that's why all those older guys got new toys in the first place.

11. thenatureboywoo

thenatureboywoo Veteran

News Credits:
    the classics/universe line is made up from all the series, so i think it would be a little difficult to make a cartoon from that. And the toys are just updates from series that have had cartoons anyhow.

12. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Don't eat me

News Credits:
    With some of the G1 voice actors dead? Please, let it be left alone.

13. process

process Hanlon's razor Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I think the Universe line was designed strictly as a toy series, to bridge between the various Transformers franchises, and to provide continuity and stability for the "Transformers" brand = steady profit for Hasbro.

14. MetroBoy

MetroBoy Keeper of the Cheese

If Hasbro were going to do it, I would prefer they to do a web based series of shorts to test the waters to see what kind of intrest they get before greenlighting anything.

15. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Kids are not going to care about a continuation to a 22 year old cartoon show. It would come with way too much baggage to be workable.

Still unlikely, but a comic book continuation would have far more chance of happening. Though I think the IDW focus is mainly on their continuity and on RotF.

16. Quantum

Quantum Oh good

This.

Just like G.I.Joe Resolute. Based on the original, faithful to its designs and characters, catered to us, the original fans, done in short five minute-ish shows as an internet exclusive cartoon that is for mature fans, meaning lots of wicked violence. Can later be viewed on Adult Swim, and then when released on DVD.

This is what I want from Classics/Universe.

I'm good if I don't get it, but dude, it would kick all kinds of ass.

17. misternoodle

misternoodle Banned

i would be grateful if they gave us comics :| its okay to see the toys in timelines but i wish we had comic support (i mean, official, not just using designs like what DW/IDWs done) which we last saw...for energon?

18. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Most spin-offs dont start 20 years after the original series ends. That's why they don't confuse people. Spin-offs and continuations are designed so that they bring new people in, as well as appease old fans. I think Transformers Animated does a better job of this, on average, than a G1 cartoon continuation would, as the latter would mainly only attract those who remember the old show.

A comic though, maybe, if only a mini-series. We've already seen some stuff like this in the Botcon comics, but as the line is very popular, who knows, maybe they could make a classics-verse comic (although since there is already a G1 comic, I would think it unlikely).

The toys are already generating sales. The massive expenditure of creating a show to support a line that is already doing fine is questionable, from a business standpoint, as the cartoons are meant to be glorified commercials. Marketing decisions like creating a show are done months or years before the toys even hit the shelves, so I don't think there's much chance of seeing one for classics/universe, especially since they've been marketed towards collectors as "Old characters, new toys". Even if a series increased sales, it would likely not do so to the point that a second cartoon would be worthwhile for promoting the brand or increasing profits.

19. Nocturn

Nocturn Doesn't really use TFW

Selling isn't the issue.
    The already have media based lines, TFA, and TFTM.
    Universe/Classics is supplementary, like, oh, UNIVERSE AND CLASSICS? Alternators too.

20. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

I really doubt a series would be created of the TFU line anyway. But I really hope they never do. It would take the line in a different direction, and I don't want that. If there were a TFU series, you know the toys would reflect the show. And I want updated versions of G1 characters, not new show characters.